Dr. Bronner's lavender castile bar soap

4.5

Not tested on animals

on 6/18/2016 8:23:00 PM

I purchased this bar in the peppermint scent because Ginnifer Goodwin is as fan of the brand. :) It smells good, it's readily available at Target, and I do prefer bar soaps over liquids. They tend to last longer! It cleanses my skin fairly well, but it was also really drying. I think I'll stick with my Raw Sugar Bodywash. . .it smells good, and you get a lot for the price. Bronner's bar soap hardly lasted a few weeks. However, it deserves 3 lippies for no parabens, sulfates, or artificial fragrances. I just like something more moisturizing.

on 5/10/2016 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this for brush cleaning after running out of the beautyblender solid cleanser. I loved that cleanser, but not its price, so this was up to some tough competition. I ended up loving this even more, though. And it certainly is kinder to my wallet. I find that it actually cleans my brushes slightly better than the BB solid cleanser, if not by much. Ironically it's most noticeably superior to the BB solid cleanser when it comes to cleaning my beautyblender. All the product just comes right out in a way that I found that it didn't when I used the BB one. It also leaves my brushes and sponges with a lovely lavender scent, and any leftover soap that might still be in the brushes doesn't mess with my skin whatsoever. The only reason I can see to not repurchase this would be to try another scent from the line.

I really liked the little tin that the BB solid cleanser came with, so what I do is that I either grate or chop up some of the bar and put it in the tin. Then I just add a little bit of hot (near-boiling) water to the tin and let it cool and set into a solid soap again. And just like that, you have refilled your tin with a cheaper and more effective brush cleaner! I love it.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

I use this soap when I travel and I don't want to use up my liquid allowance. When I take this along I know I won't wreak havoc on my skin on a trip.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I bought this because I heard that it's a good dupe for the BeautyBlender Solid Cleanser, and it does a great job! Gets my brushes and my sponges really clean with little effort, and it costs a fraction of what the BB cleanser does!

on 4/26/2015 12:12:00 PM

My husband used the bar to make a shaving lather and he says he likes it a lot and that it gives a close shave and doesn't pull on the hair.

I love this soap! I am a sucker for old-fashioned scents like lavender, tea rose, tube rose, etc., and I have extremely sensitive skin, so I have to be careful about synthetic scents. This is a mild, natural soap, with a real lavender scent that is strong enough to last for a bit outside the shower, but not strong enough to give anyone a headache. It doesn't smell artificial, like some lavender-scented products, and it doesn't irritate my skin at all-it lathers up enough so that I can even use it to shave! I tried the rose soap as well, but didn't find that I liked it quite as much, though the soap itself was the same gentle formula and certainly did nothing bad to my skin. The lavender is just my favorite!
I believe there is also an almond scent, and an orange one-I want to try them all! About $4 per bar, but it lasts quite a long time, so I think it is worth the money, and will definitely repurchase.

What a wonderful product! Ingredients are awesome. Scents - while utterly simple - is wonderful and truly natural. I like the no-fuss, no-frill attitude of the packaging. Though the bar provides far less reading materials than the liquid soaps. BTW you can also use it for stain removal from clothes (handwashing, of course). My only complaint is that it is a little bit on the drying side.

on 1/20/2014 12:40:00 AM

Oh my goodness, never before in my life have I had such an adverse reaction to soap before. I tried this 3 times in the shower, (neck down), and it made my skin crawl with horrible itchiness for well over an hour after I rinsed it off. I slathered myself in anti-itch creams hoping to make it stop. I even hopped back into the shower thinking that I just did not rinse it off well enough.

My poor skin just had to settle down on it's own, and it did, eventually (no welts, hives, or pimples, after the itching dissipated). I have only had this experience with the lavender bar soap so far, and I was silly enough to go on to buy more bar soaps from Dr. Bronner's, despite my skin's initial reaction. I have actually loved both the rose and the mint one for use in the shower, and have had no issues at all.

But I did find a use for my bar of Lavendar soap, call me crazy for not just tossing it in the garbage immediately. One day I just decided to see if it could wash my Beauty Blender Sponge, and wow... Compared to the Beauty Blender Cleanser Solid, this soap works just as well. Lasts 3x as long, and does not cost $15. It even works quite well on my makeup brushes, and if I rinse them off throurougly I experience no irritation.

Will I buy this particular scent again? Heck no, but I do appreciate it for making me realize how well a bar soap could clean my makeup brushes and sponges. I will definitely keep purchasing other solid bar soap scents in this brand, just not lavendar. :P

on 9/18/2013 2:36:00 PM

Like many women obsessed with makeup, I have way too many brushes and always dreaded having to clean them. I hated cleaning them so much that I would let far more time pass between cleanings than I should have. The biggest pain in the butt brushes to clean are the ones I use for my foundation; I use a longwearing foundation, so it is a real chore to clean it out of the brushes. I have tried many different cleansers for my brushes and some work better than others but still nothing really wowed me. I have tried baby shampoo, rubbing alcohol, brush shampoo, makeup removing face cleanser, dish soap and liquid castile soap. Never once thinking to try the bar soap version of Dr. Bronners castile soap; that is, until I saw a Youtube brush cleansing video using the bar castile soap. I found my bars in my local grocery store; I bought the lavender and the peppermint scents. In the video the girl stores the bar in a plastic travel bar soap container and keeps the soap in the container while washing her brushes so that the soap doesn't go flying out of her hands; so I too bought one of these travel containers. I washed all of my brushes with the bar soap and I am amazed!! Of course the biggest test was my foundation brush and it came clean in record time using this soap. When using other cleansers it would take me about 30 minutes to clean all of my brushes properly, using the castile bar soap takes me about half the time. Besides the castile getting all of the makeup out of my brushes superbly it also rinses clean, very quickly. When I would use a brush cleaner, dish soap, etc I would stand there for what felt like forever trying to get all of the soap out of my brush. Seriously, best stuff ever; I no longer procrastinate washing my brushes anymore!!

on 7/31/2013 10:05:00 PM

I love this soap. I know it's just a bar soap, but the scent, lather, and cleansing qualities are really enjoyable. I started using this after I became unhappy with my Victoria's Secret body wash. That stuff smells great, but I felt it did a poor job cleansing and deodorizing. I ended up feeling dirty later in the day, given the hot summer weather. I now use Dr. Bronner's bar soap every day, and it doesn't dry or strip my skin. It lathers well, smells lovely, and rinses clean. I don't even wear deodorant anymore because I don't get stinky, and I'm confident that it's due to this soap. I also love their liquid soaps (I've used almond, peppermint, and lavender). I highly recommend this line because I think their formulations are high quality and a great bargain for what you get.