Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eye Shadow Single: Linen

No Image

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Anyone who says you can't find a decent matte eyeshadow at the drugstore needs a crash course in Maybelline 101, because this shade along with Earthly Taupe and Made for Mocha are every bit as smooth, creamy and pigmented as anything from my UD Naked palette.

This color is your very classic vanilla color that can be used as a wash all over the lid or a browbone highlight if you're going for a subtle shimmer-free look. I don't mind using the sponge applicator it comes with, or my finger to apply this because you will get a lot more pigment out of it this way versus using a brush.

Was looking for a bone matte shade to cancel out the redness/pigmentation of my eyelid as a base color. This is not it. It's (almost) white and very sheer, so there's virually no coverage. It is also NOT matte. It looks matte in the package, but it has shimmer-not a lot, but noticeable.
I'll find a use for it somewhere I'm sure of it, but if your looking for a neutral base color, don't bother with this one. I give it 3 stars for being just ok.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Linen has been a staple in my eyeshadow collection for years. Mostly, I've used it as a lid color, and to highlight around the inner corners for the "more awake" look. It is the perfect light cream color in my opinion, however, it does not last on my lids for very long, half a day max. I've never used it with a lid primer, so results may differ. The packaging is as cheap as it gets, and I've broken several of these through the years, but the last few drops have only broken off the top half layer, so I still have plenty of product left. Even so...they're so cheap, I can always buy another when one breaks. I would recommend this if you're looking for a basic neutral shadow and highlighter, and don't want to break the bank!

on 1/5/2013 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

To second the reviewer a couple reviews down, I have to agree that this is a nicer product that Covergirl's French Vanilla, which I was previously using. I was satisfied enough with French Vanilla as it was the only shadow I had purchased in this type of shade and it worked well enough, but I picked up Maybelline Linen (almost identical shades) instead the last time I was at the store because they haven't had French Vanilla in stock for some time and Maybelline's shadows were on sale. I am sooo glad I tried this and will now switch over to using it regularly. It's smoother/creamier in texture and application than Covergirl French Vanilla, the shimmer is more subtle and it wears longer. I also find there's less fallout onto my black eyeliner. I really like it and would recommend for a drugstore eyeshadow in this shade!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I compared this to a similar shade from Cover Girl (French Vanilla) using my own split face experiment and this one is a winner!

First off, don`t be put off by the slightly pinkish undertone to this cream coloured shadow. It won`t make your eyes look red. I have red rims, sensitive eyes and a lot of red in my skin and this just tones it down.

This is not a shimmer highlighter, it is a satiny matte. By that I mean it behaves like a matte, not drawing attention to wrinkley crepey eyelid skin, but it isn`t chalky like a matte often is, it has life.

It covers fairly well. The other one skips on the skin, but this doesn`t. It is sheer, but the cream is obvious, so this is ideal for the tear duct area or brow bone or anywhere else you need to highlight without applying all out shimmer.

It blends well with other shadows. I am now using it as my `matte`highlighter shade in eyeshadow with Clinique`s Champagne shimmer for anywhere I need a little restrained shimmer in a highlight.

It looks fantastic paired with Earthly Taupe, which is sold right next to it. I bought them both, and I`m impressed with these two.

I have sensitive skin, very reactive and this doesn`t bother me a bit. It feels buttery smooth and comfortable. It is a bit dry in feel as is the Cover Girl. It doesn`t crease or fade as the day goes on.

The price is terrific, and the quality is superb.

on 9/25/2012 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I have just hit pan on my second, or possibly third purchase of this shadow. I always use this as my base for every eye look over elf primer. I'm actually more of a high end girl when it comes to shadows but these two simple products are my HG and have been for about 2 years. I also Use this as a highlight on my cheek bones when I am slightly paler in the winter. So affordable and such a great colour!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is a great shadow! Today is the first day I am using it..... I did my makeup at 7 this morning and as of now (around 3:30PM) it still has that freshly applied look, no fading or creasing whatsoever. It's a beautiful 100% matte cream/ivory shade. I use it from lash to brow and then put a brown shadow in my crease. I also used it to set my concealer, worked like a charm. It's dirt cheap...... picked it up in Target for 3 dollars and some change. If your on the hunt for a matte highlight shade I highly recommend Maybelline Linen.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really like the uses of this. It can be used for a highlight, a full wash or use just a little bit. The only problem with this, along with pretty much ever Maybelline eyeshadow, is the short lasting time. It will crease in about two hours time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Linen is a good highlight shade. It's not too white or too much of a skintone cream shade. Somewhere in the middle, so it gives a great glowing effect as a slight shimmer. It's not over the top on shimmer, but does reflect and illuminate eyes. I'd call it more vanilla than linen.

I bought this with the idea in mind it would be a good highlighter color and would have some shimmer. When i put it on it was actually pretty close to my skin color. I use it all over my eye now when i want a shimmery eye. I think its really pretty :D The packaging is nice and i would buy it again, their only four dollares!