Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eye Shadow Single: Linen

3.9

on 6/24/2015 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I recently purchased my 2nd pan of this shadow. I love this shade as a natural-looking matte highlight on my brow bone. As they say, "like my skin, but better".
-I used to use MAC's "Vanilla" pressed shadow as my matte skin-tone highlight, but vs $15+ a pan, I've found Maybelline's "Linen" to be a very affordable replacement.
I like to use this semi-opaque light vanilla/creamy-white matte shade not only as a brow highlight but also to help to blend out the edges of my eyeshadows, and it acts a little bit as an eraser around the edges, too.

While this is a matte formula it does have the barest hint of a satin-shimmer...but the shimmer is really not noticeable on the skin

I had depotted my first shadow in this shade and added it to a small palette specifically for my highlight shadows...but then I hit pan and started running pretty low. Definitely had to grab a back-up of this awesome shadow!

I will certainly continue to repurchase this fantastic product.

Was looking for a bone matte shade to cancel out the redness/pigmentation of my eyelid as a base color. This is not it. It's (almost) white and very sheer, so there's virually no coverage. It is also NOT matte. It looks matte in the package, but it has shimmer-not a lot, but noticeable.
I'll find a use for it somewhere I'm sure of it, but if your looking for a neutral base color, don't bother with this one. I give it 3 stars for being just ok.

Love the eyeshadow. It works well on my oily eyelids. Wish the brush lasted longer.

on 8/5/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I've used this off white matte shadow on my upper and lower lids, and then applied Maybelline Earthly Taupe on the areas I want to darken and recede (upper brow and corners of the eyes). The lightness of the shade opens up and brightens my eye area. I also use blue eye liner and blue mascara for further brightening.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I got a white and sliver, i like them a lot. the colors show up great for me. great price, great packaging. i love it. if only i could find a navy blue...

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Linen has been a staple in my eyeshadow collection for years. Mostly, I've used it as a lid color, and to highlight around the inner corners for the "more awake" look. It is the perfect light cream color in my opinion, however, it does not last on my lids for very long, half a day max. I've never used it with a lid primer, so results may differ. The packaging is as cheap as it gets, and I've broken several of these through the years, but the last few drops have only broken off the top half layer, so I still have plenty of product left. Even so...they're so cheap, I can always buy another when one breaks. I would recommend this if you're looking for a basic neutral shadow and highlighter, and don't want to break the bank!

on 12/26/2012 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am glad I read in MUA that this shade does not impart pink tones to the skin. It is a very natural brow-ridge highlighter, effective and with minimal sparkle; I would prefer none but it is difficult to find many matt shadows these days. The staying power is average when applied over liquid foundation.

This e/s is now a matte shadow and no longer has any shimmers in it. It's good for a subtle highlight, and it looks much more office appropriate than a shimmer highlight. It's not very pigmented, but it's not chalky either. It's a light bone/ cream color, like that of vanilla ice cream. It's hard to find matte highlights in the drugstore brands, and I got it for $3.50 at target

on 12/30/2010 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Linen works as a highlighter or an all over color wash. The days that I use this are my light makeup days. The color is light, so it doesn't give off too much shimmer. I top Linen off with an eyeshadow from NYX called Ultimatum, which is my favorite eyeshadow w/ the right amount of shimmer. It's a nice combo with a gel liner, a little lip gloss or nude lipstick. It's my perfect look for running errands, so I don't get caught with absolutely no makeup on. I love the Maybelline Expert Wear Singles ~ they are a great product and a great value...

on 2/8/2010 12:41:00 PM

Got this at RiteAide for 40% off. It's a nice cheap highlighter for people with medium/dark skin, however, this product didn't show on my light olive asian complexion. Also, it feels a bit chalky; the pigmentation of the powder is not great. It didn't show through for me. It's also very dry so after I put it on all I could see were dusty dry patches on my face. Had to return it. Well, you get what you pay for.