Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eye Shadow Single: Linen

No Image

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Anyone who says you can't find a decent matte eyeshadow at the drugstore needs a crash course in Maybelline 101, because this shade along with Earthly Taupe and Made for Mocha are every bit as smooth, creamy and pigmented as anything from my UD Naked palette.

This color is your very classic vanilla color that can be used as a wash all over the lid or a browbone highlight if you're going for a subtle shimmer-free look. I don't mind using the sponge applicator it comes with, or my finger to apply this because you will get a lot more pigment out of it this way versus using a brush.

on 10/27/2014 2:49:00 AM

A nice, basic matte bone shadow for opening and brightening the eye area. I am in my 40s, with deep-set eyes that look even more so with dark eyeshadow. Linen is the only eyeshadow shade I use, all over the lid and browbone. It last reasonably well, about 8 hours, and is certainly easy to touch up during the day. (It definitely lasts longer and looks more noticeable when I prep my lids with concealer.)

The packaging is El Cheapo, but Bobbi Brown charges a ridiculous amount for her "Bone" shadow in its luxe little pot. I can handle cheap packaging if the shadow works well!

on 8/5/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I've used this off white matte shadow on my upper and lower lids, and then applied Maybelline Earthly Taupe on the areas I want to darken and recede (upper brow and corners of the eyes). The lightness of the shade opens up and brightens my eye area. I also use blue eye liner and blue mascara for further brightening.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

A fabulous winter color, and I use it when blending or in the inner corner of my eyes. In my opinion, it is the best cream color and it provides the perfect amount of shimmer. It wears off much quicker in heat, and looks best when primer is used. I have a pale friend who uses it, and it looks absolutely stunning. But, it works for beige to medium skin as well.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Linen has been a staple in my eyeshadow collection for years. Mostly, I've used it as a lid color, and to highlight around the inner corners for the "more awake" look. It is the perfect light cream color in my opinion, however, it does not last on my lids for very long, half a day max. I've never used it with a lid primer, so results may differ. The packaging is as cheap as it gets, and I've broken several of these through the years, but the last few drops have only broken off the top half layer, so I still have plenty of product left. Even so...they're so cheap, I can always buy another when one breaks. I would recommend this if you're looking for a basic neutral shadow and highlighter, and don't want to break the bank!

on 1/5/2013 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

To second the reviewer a couple reviews down, I have to agree that this is a nicer product that Covergirl's French Vanilla, which I was previously using. I was satisfied enough with French Vanilla as it was the only shadow I had purchased in this type of shade and it worked well enough, but I picked up Maybelline Linen (almost identical shades) instead the last time I was at the store because they haven't had French Vanilla in stock for some time and Maybelline's shadows were on sale. I am sooo glad I tried this and will now switch over to using it regularly. It's smoother/creamier in texture and application than Covergirl French Vanilla, the shimmer is more subtle and it wears longer. I also find there's less fallout onto my black eyeliner. I really like it and would recommend for a drugstore eyeshadow in this shade!

on 11/30/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am a fair to medium toned person and this eyeshadow was too light for me. However it is aptly named as the color is a light linen or bone in color. I thought the color was going to be more of a neutral bisque color.

In terms of texture and blendability, the eyeshadow applied and blended just fine. I just wanted other to know that if they are looking for a neutral eyeshadow that this color probably isn't it if you are a bit medium toned.

Love the eyeshadow. It works well on my oily eyelids. Wish the brush lasted longer.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Great to have on hand to highlight brow bones, inner tear ducts, cupids bow, and cheekbones! Super cheap and easy to come by. I just use my fingers to apply.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This shadow is a must have! It provides a great base to add and blend other eye shadows. I use eyeshadow primer, then sweep this light color all over my eye lid up to my brows. I then add my other desired shadow colors.
It is a very natural looking color and really helps to brighten the eye area. It isn't especially glittery like some shadows, so you can easily pull off a natural eye look.