Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Powder

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Powder

3.9

NYLON-12,TALC,ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE,MAGNESIUM STEARATE,DIMETHICONE,PHENOXYETHANOL,ETHYLPARABEN,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE,TRIISOCETYL CITRATE,PROPYLPARABEN,ISOBUTYLPARABEN,CETYL DIMETHICONE,METHYLPARABEN,BUTYLPARABEN,IRON OXIDES,TITANIUM DIOXIDE,MICA

on 7/3/2016 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to love this powder, esp. after all I had read. And for $62.00, I should have loved it but didn't. This product has a ton of issues which make it a huge disappointment.

OK first things first: There is no way this would work as a powder foundation (I purchased it for use as a setting powder). It wouldn't work to cover a thing or even anything out. Even if you are going for a sheer light coverage, you wouldn't get that from this product. The marketing on this blows. So in terms of working as advertised (as a foundation), this gets zero stars.

The color selection on this is terrible. It comes in 8 shades, most of which are pink toned or lean orange. Even the neutral shades are pink or orange. Right when you think these issues are bad enough, here comes the big wammy: these oxidize like crazy. Whatever color you are wearing will deepen many shades. If you happened to purchase one that leans a bit pink or red and figured you could make it work, get ready bc after about a half hour you will be looking crazy. I was matched to shade 5.5 which supposedly is a neutral undertone medium; um no, I looked like a oompa loompa within an hour and it was highly embarrassing. Going down a shade or two did not help at all - same outcome. As far as color selection, matching, and wearability go, this gets zero stars.

Formula: The formula is wonderful - silky smooth and if you are lucky enough to match a shade, this is undetectable on the skin. This is probably the softest powder I have ever used. If this came in a translucent or normal skin tone shades no one would know you had powder on. This makes it a great choice for mature and dry skin types. Had I been a match to any of these, I would give 5 stars and more for formulation.

I wish this had worked for me but it didn't. The oxidation issue is a major one and seems to happen for a lot of others who have purchased this. Based on so many issues (plus price), I am not a fan.

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

First off, I'm an NC25 / GA Lasting Silk No. 4 / RMK 102 / YSL B20. I wanted to buy a powder which allows me to touch up without getting cakey or splotchy on me. Though I am a GA LSF No. 4, I found shade No. 4 of this product to be way darker than LSF so I bought No. 3.

My skin is currently quite dry as I have been using BP on my zits, having said that, my skin is still very oily.

This product is very silky to the touch but not as silky as Maquillage's Dramatic Powdery UV compact. It doesn't have much coverage to it as it's not a foundation. The product comes with a dual sided sponge, on one side which is the white side, it has a fuzzy feel designed to be used for touching up while the black side, it is more spongey which is to be used like a foundation. I find that the sponge, as with all GA sponges is useless. I do not use them.

For my base, I use Hourglass Mineral Veil, GA Lasting Silk Foundation then GA Lasting Silk Compact Powder Foundation. As stated earlier, I use this powder as a touch up powder with the hopes of being to remove any shine and restoring the makeup's initial glory.

I've tried using a regular cosmetic sponge and the result wasn't too bad but it didn't look as nice as my YSL Touche Eclat Powder foundation (I'm giving up on the YSL powder as it oxidized on me even though I still love its texture).

I've also tried using a brush and the result still isn't as good. Maybe it's due to my flaking skin. This product emphasizes on flaky skin so do moisturize well before application. However, once the sebum starts showing, the product melts into the skin and looks much better. Also, this product does not oxidize on my oily skin which is the only plus at this point in time.

I'm still on the fence on whether this will be repurchased I will be closely monitoring its performance when my skin is in better shape.

Update:

I am using this as a setting powder after my GA lasting silk foundation. I find that this powder sets my makeup better than the lasting silk compact and the finish is really nice. I do not use this for touch up anymore as I believe this product is not designed for that purpose.

To Read all 23 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/6/2016 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

LOVE this powder. I use #4 mostly down my t-zone over GA LSF 4.5. It is just gorgeous. Usually I apply the foundation with the GA blender brush and the powder with a big fluffy brush. But today I left the apartment without makeup and ended up at Sephora (I had intended to go somewhere else that was non-makeup related, see how that turned out!), so while I was there I decided to put on my usual makeup. I used a blender sponge they have at the mirror stations (where they have the makeup removers, the disposable lip brushes, etc) to apply the foundation and it looked decent enough, but then I used the same sponge to apply the setting powder. Oh my god, wow! It looks amazing. It blends so beautifully, and the shades are a perfect beautiful match. When I got home I dug through my bathroom drawers and found my stash of makeup sponges. I'll be using those for a while now!

on 1/4/2016 12:54:00 AM

Makes my face and eyes sting. Probably the fragrance? Coverage is also very minimal and does not blur pores or imperfections enough to work even as a setting powder in my opinion...

on 7/13/2015 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a very nice setting powder with a matte finish that is good for blotting (touch ups). It has a little bit of pigment but is mostly translucent and imperceptible on the skin. I have shade 2 which is the lightest neutral color even though I wear 4 in GA Luminous Silk Liquid Foundation.

This has a smaller compact than MAC Blot Powder in Medium, which has been a staple of mine for years. I found the smaller compact helpful when I had to pare down to a small evening bag (those rare occasions).

Armani's powder seems to be slightly finer and disappears better, however; MAC's powder is $26 versus this one which is around 50 dollars, and they perform similarly, so while I think this is lovely, it makes financial sense to consider the less expensive powder.

on 4/12/2015 7:36:00 PM

I was looking for a powder that would help set my makeup yet add a little extra coverage to my face. I used this on top of the Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk Foundation and I found that it made me look way orange by lunch time! I normally use a shade lighter and the clerk insisted that it was...but it does' even remotely look anything like the other powders that I've used in the past. I do have to admit that it does work well with my skin (normal to oily combo skin - my t-zone is horrendous!). It doesn't make me oily and it doesn't dry me out. Nor does it gather/pool. I think that I"m a little harsh in my rating, but I think that oxidization to the point where I look like I had a bad spray tan on my face is a big no no. I think, sometime, in the future, I might try another shade, but for now, I'm going to stay away.
I wear shade 7 in Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk Foundation and Shade 5.5 in the Luminous Silk Powder.

on 4/2/2015 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

It is great powder to use on the final stage of your makeup. Works good on my dry skin and didn't clog my pores. light finished but cover all the imperfections and bring glowing and luminious effect all day long without shiny look but i think the powder sponge is too thin.

Overall this powder is worthed to buy and you'll get what you pay for.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use it with the Designing Lift Foundation. I have never been able to use powders. My skin is very dry and any powder I used emphasized that. I use the DLF in 2 and the Luminous Silk Powder in 4. The SA recommended the powder in the 4. She said I would be too pale with it in the 2. It is a perfect combination. My skin has a soft matte to satin finish. It doesn't look dry and the combination of the powder and foundation last all day. After about 8 hours, I will sometimes add some powder to touch it up. I use a fluffy powder brush to apply. I don't like the sponge that comes with it.

For reference: my skin is sensitive, dry & dehydrated, with some fine lines.

Highly recommend. I have already purchased a backup of both the foundation and the powder. Wouldn't be without it. I have also used the powder over other foundations and it has worked well; however, the Designer Lift Foundation is my current favourite.

on 2/16/2013 2:45:00 PM

I use it together with GA LSF. it really sets the foundation nicely, creating a smooth and silky finish. The powder is really fine and smooth, I like it a lot. Only issue i have is that it's really pricy for a powder cake of this size. I also do not like the black sponge that came with it. It doesn't pick up enough powder and doesn't spread on my face with ease. I use it with a La mer loose powder sponge and it works better that way. I am still looking for a right furry sponge to replace the original sponge, so I can bring this out for touching up. all in all, very please with it... I would definitely buy it again.

Awesome, just wish there were more of it in the compact because it applies generously. Looks fresh, professional and lasts. No irritations and doesn't clog pores. Use it over foundation rather than alone, unless touching up shine prone skin.