Estée Lauder Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara

Estée Lauder Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara

3.8

Acrylates Copolymer, Alcohol Denat, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/, Ammonium stearate, Aqua, Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Bentonite, Bismuth Oxychloride, Blue 1, Butylene Glycol, Camelia sinensis, Caprylyl Glycol, Carmine, Cera alba, cera carnauba, Cholesterol, Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 19140, CI 77288, CI 77492, CI 77499, Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, ethylhexyl acrylate crosspolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hexylene Glycol, hydroxyesters acrylates copolymer, Isostearic Acid, Kaolin, Laureth-20, Macadamia integrifolia, Manganese Violet, Mica, Panthenol, PEG-100 Stearate, phenoxyethanol ()iron oxides (CI77491, Polyaminopropyl biguanide, Polyvinyl acetate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Silica, Simethicone, Stearic Acid, Sucrose Distearate, Titanium Dioxide, Tromethamine, Ultramarines.

Nearly a decade ago, I borrowed my mum's tube for the first time (this was when I was a poor student with no concept of how grotty it actually is to borrow someone else's eye makeup, simpler times...) It was the first mascara I had tried that DIDN'T end up smeared half-way down my face by midday (oily gal probs), making me look like a hungover, hard-partying panda who had been in a fist fight and come off worst. It was a total game-changer. It was heaven for my medium-short, unbelievably straight lashes that couldn't hold a curl if their tiny little lives depended on it. I scrimped, saved, caught the bus instead of driving and took on as many extra shifts at work as possible, to make the idea of me owning this sorcery myself a reality.
I finally had soft, fluttery lashes that stayed on my eyes instead of migrating to my. It held them in a delicate curl once dry and they actually stayed there, all day! They didn't flake, or clump, or look anything other than bangin' but also natural, like I was one of those people who were born with lashes that looked pretty and 'girly' and opened up my face. The icing on the cake was watching those little tubies sail down the sink or shower drain without any scrubbing or makeup remover, just a splash of warm water. WATER! It was love. I would drag my friends to the Estee Lauder counter when we were at the beauty store to try this potion of happiness to make them love it as much as I did. I was a maniac in those early days of discovery, but friends who actually tried it also loved it and were pretty darn stoked that they could wear a mascara out clubbing and not look like they had drawn all over their face with black sharpie afterwards. I hijacked travelling friends/family's duty free time to make them bring it back for me so I could have my fix.
For 9 years, this has been my holiest of holies, my pièce de résistance, the crowning jewel of my made-up face.

Until 3 months or so ago, when (devastatingly I may add) out of the blue, I developed acute contact dermatitis. On my eyelids. After using a brand-new-never-been-touched-by-human-hands/eyes/whatever tube I had just purchased. Horror, disbelief, grief... I felt them all. My doc gave me some cream and sent me on my way with advice to skip the eye makeup for 2 weeks to let my lids stop swelling, itching, stinging and flaking and just heal. I did as I was told and when the wonderful day arrived, I elatedly swiped my way back into lash glory. And the redness came back. As did the itchy-flaky-puffy-stingy feelings of both allergies/grave disappointment. Again I tried the 2-week wait and see, but every time I reapplied it, the same thing. I tried other inferior mascaras and my lids were totally fine. I tried this one again and itch. My own body sabotaged my happiness.
Alas I return to the exhausting hunt for the best mascara, hoping that one day I will try this beauty again and it will be like those first 9 years all over again. Even though I'm sad, nine years is pretty good innings, no?

TL/DR:
Pro's:
-Doesn't clump, flake or smudge.
-Stays on even if you're oily as anything.
-Comes off easily with water.
-Seems to be pretty sweat resistant.
-Formula is forgiving, isn't too wet or
too dry.
-Pretty good at maintaining a lash-curler
induced curl.
-Looks natural.
-Gives length and definition.
-Comes with a spoolie brush (if that's your jam.)

Cons:
-Is fairly 'up there' cost wise, at least it is her in NZ.
-Doesn't work on my stupid face anymore. (More of a personal gripe....)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Did not perform for me. Started out super dry on the wand so that I thought it was old. Then day by day it got wetter so that it started going on clumping my lashes and leaving balls on the ends of my lashes. Added length as the name says but very little volume. This did not leave my lashes looking good. And this did not come off easily. I had to use makeup remover whereas I thought this was a tubing mascara. And the final straw was it irritated my eyes. I took it back.

on 2/12/2018 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pro’s: stays in place all day - easy to remove at day end.
Con’s: gives lenth and volume but (!) in a very messy way. I cannot really explain in words. This mascara does not make my lashes look better, on the contrary... they look like they just returned from a battle.

I had high hopes, but just like any other EL mascara... does NOT work for me AT ALL!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a drier formula than I would have expected for a tubing mascara. It does indeed give some serious length to your lashes but as with other tubing style mascaras, very little in the way of volume. The most disappointing thing about this mascara is that within minutes I saw little black flecks under my eyes from the product flaking off and it only got worse as time went on. The flakes are pretty stubborn as well because I had a heck of time getting them off my face when I removed my makeup. I don’t know if this is typical or if maybe my tube was a bad batch, drier than it normally is? Regardless, for $33CDN I am not impressed with having to sweep away black flecks while wearing this mascara. I get better effects from L’Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes mascara and it’s less than a third of the price. That one comes with a primer so you actually get both volume and length. This ELDW mascara is not worth the money and I will not be repurchasing it.

on 8/5/2017 3:43:00 PM

TL;DR: this crumbles/flakes a lot sometimes - brittle. But doesn't run/smudge/stain from tears or water. Best for natural-ish look; no double coats - best with no double sweeps even.

Update 1: waterproofness (tested spraying, then splashing with lots of cool water) is impressive.
Update 2: becoming friends with this one after a work shift biking around in light rain. Need to find cheaper replacement, but will look for tubing formulas from now on.

My first tubing mascara.
It performs like people say tubing mascaras perform: isn't much affected by sweat or oils or humidity, but instead it's brittle and flakes more than average. If I do just one sweep at each place (advisable with this anyway) and am super super conscious not to touch my eyes, it generates about 1-2 flakes/hour the first few hours, barely visible at speaking distance. But later in the day it seems to accelerate (or I just end up touching it at some point after all?). If I rub an eye lightly, it rains flakes and doesn't stop till I remove it completely.
Since it dries fast and is so brittle, you have an very short window of opportunity to comb. Which is not great, since it does clump a bit (not for the first few uses, but now after 5-6 it's starting to). Wiper isn't tight, meaning it loads brush with quite a bit of product.
Just now, I put it on 1,5 hours ago and combed through one eyelash after applying both. The one I didn't comb hasn't flaked yet, under the other one I have 3 flakes.

It comes off the way it's supposed to, with warm water and gentle pinching, and then the skin around the eyes is fully clean.

P.S. Estee Lauder tests on animals. EU outlawed that shit, but I just realized of course that doesn't affect these companies that keep testing overseas. Duh. If I'd do this over I'd try blinc or Trish McEvoy's version. Not sure of best cruelty free DS tubing mascaras to try, but there must be a bunch - Nyx, E.l.f., Milani, Essence etc are all cruelty free.

This mascara helps a lot with volume and my lashes stay curled from the A.M to the P.M it is hard to remove so I can wear it underwater even though it ls not waterproof. If you are looking for a good quality mascara I would highly recommend this one

on 3/12/2017 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This makes my lashes look okay - pretty mediocre. It doesn't flake or smudge or cause any weird clumping or spidery lashes. However, my eyes itch a bit when I wear it and my lashes fall out at a higher rate than normal, partly because it's a bit difficult to remove. It's also a bit dry looking. Didn't even finish my tube.

99.9 percent of mascaras smudges on me. This one is pretty good. It does smudge a bit fi you cry. I tested it at the gym just to see and it does smudge a bit but realistically makeup at the gym is not good to wear anyways. I like the lengthening formula and I will definitely buy again. The matching liquid eyeliner pen is absolutely fabulous too. It does not smudge. I was using clinique high impact curling tube mascara before but it's too much off a pain to remove it. It's warm water removal but u have to keep wiping it so I'm happy I found this as its easier to remove than Clinique but for me I know it wont hold up at a funeral

on 12/23/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have an issue with mascara smudging on me as I have oily lids. 99% of mascaras smudge on me, waterproof or not. I decided to test this one out as it says zero smudge, however, I typically prefer waterproof versions as it holds a curl. This mascara on its own does not hold a curl well, to be expected. I have short straight Asian lashes so I always prefer waterproof. However, after curling my lashes, I use the Shiseido nourishing mascara base as a primer prior to applying this and my curl holds. The formula is pretty good and not too drying or watery. Like other reviewers, I wish it was more voluminous but I don't think this mascara was advertised for it as it is more of a lengthening mascara. The plus side is that there is not much smudging, or very little for me. And because it is not waterproof, it is easier to remove. The brush itself is thinner than most mascara wants out there, which I like. It is easier to apply in the inner corners of the lashes without touching the rest of the eye skin. There's no scent to the product either that I've noted. I would likely repurchase this mascara again for the comfort of less smudging and easy to remove. Good for everyday natural wear but definitely not for a night out where you want the vavoom lashes.

on 9/1/2016 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a fairly basic mascara for lengthening and defining lashes. Not great for volume, but it works well if you want a fairly natural looking result with your lashes. It also does not smudge, which is great!