China Glaze Flying Dragon

China Glaze Flying Dragon

3.3

Noticing many negative reviews because the polish LOOKS shiny/sparkly in the bottle, but once applied it is matte, which I was thrilled to find because I like matte. It has a very cool two-tone effect in purple/navy. I did find it challenging to apply, and may take it to a professional to apply because it is not forgiving if not applied uniformly and shows every imperfection. I also found that the thinner the application, the better.
Basically if you could make crepe paper into a nail polish, this is what it would look/feel like. I think that's pretty cool.

Just like the other reviews, I was so excited to find this polish. But it's awfully disappointing. It looks gorgeous in the bottle! It appears as though it would be a magenta/purple opalescent color with a glitter to it. But it goes on as eggplant with zero glitter and dries matte.

It's such a bait and switch color. I'm extremely unhappy, especially since I saw the bottle at one store and went to another to see if I could get it once I decided I was going to purchase some new polish. I went out of my way to get it. What a mistake.

To Read all 80 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/10/2014 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of the worst CG polishes ever. I got it yesterday at Sally's and was super excited because it looks so cool in the bottle. It's like a medium purple with lots of tiny glittery specs of different colors - really beautiful. It was hidden in a corner all by itself so I was super excited thinking this is going to be a great product but it sucks!

It dries matte, like ridiculously matte so you can't even see any glitter or shine. I put on my regular top coat and it looked ok so when it got dry I put on a pair of slippers. About an hour later I took them off to take a shower and one of the nails was completely bare. So I repainted it and went about my day. Got back home later in the evening, took my socks off and noticed that 9/10 toenails were completely stripped, and the polish came out of my socks in sheets. The only one that was still painted was the one I repainted earlier.

I'm so mad. I'll try it one more time over another purple polish to at least see if the glitter ever shows through otherwise I need to return it.

Oh and the brush that came in the bottle is messed up, some of the bristles weren't cut properly so it's overall a huge disaster.

on 8/25/2014 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is my first China Glaze I dislike. It's got a crappy formula that chips the same day and its super sheer and very very streaky. It's not an even sheer either so you could make a jelly out of it. It's very patchy and just crap.

Color is not what the bottle shows. It comes off a deep purple, almost eggplant with little to no sheen. The polish is VERY matte when it dries, like the most matte I have ever seen. Even matte polishes lol. It's got a rough texture that seems out of place as well.

I don't recommend this at all.

Not overly satisfied with this nail polish.
In the bottle you see a nice purple color with blue glitter.
while putting it on the nails i noticed it was shear ( 2-3 coats needed)
the color comes out quite darker than expected
Very matte
i wouldn't say top coat helps in anyway
The texture is quite rough
it chips easy

10/10 DONT recommend

on 6/29/2014 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried it once then threw it in the trash...where it belongs.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

The colour is nice, the formula is total crap, really thin, and chipped within hours of putting it on with base coat and top coat.

on 4/7/2014 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

In the bottle, this is a gorgeous medium purple with purply-blue sparkles; once on your nails, however, this becomes a dull, lifeless, lacklustre deep purple without even a hint of sparkle. The matte finish makes it even more boring. A very disappointing nail polish indeed. Don't waste your money on this crap.

I had heard really good things about china Glaze nail polish and I wanted to try it out for myself. Flying Dragon was the first I bought. It looked incredibly nice in the bottle so I had high hopes that it would be just as nice when applied. Just to clarify, it did not say that it was neon on the bottle, so I expected a nice shiny finish. It took around three coats for full coverage and when it dried, it dried very dark and matte, the glitter which was visible whist in the bottle appeared to have disappeared as polish dried. I hoped that applying a clear top coat (Sally Hansen - Invisible) would rectify the issue, however, whilst it was now shiny, the colour was still incredibly dark and there appeared to be no trace of the glitter. I am beginning to believe that there are in fact two versions of this polish, a neon purple version which applies perfectly with the glitter visible and the purple-magenta version which dries very dull and downright unappealing. I have since bought other colours from China Glaze and have had no issues with those, so I'm hoping that this colour was just a flue.

on 6/25/2012 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This one was a disappointment. The various photos I'd seen around the web really got my hopes up about Flying Dragon, but I felt pretty let down. Mine's not as purple as everyone's photos seem to show, so maybe I got a bad batch. Mine is a bold magenta-leaning semi-purple with blue and red glitter. Unique in my book. Knowing that neons are generally matte, this polish still felt extremely odd with a matte finish. Not the easiest to apply either, so you've got to work quickly. (I'm thinking I'm just not a matte finish person.) Anyway, a shiny top coat works wonders for it, but it still seems to lack the depth I thought it would have. Like most mattes, it chips quite easily after a day or two, which is kind of a hassle. Meh, maybe I'm just feeling bitter... but I'm sure there'll come a time where I'll try this on again.

Popular Polishes