Aveda Salon Hair coloring

No Image

2.9

on 7/24/2017 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and while I was happy with the color, it seemed to fade pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity. It was pretty expensive to keep up, but I stayed on until that stylist left, then switched to a non-Aveda salon which also used organic hair color which -- hallelujah! -- persisted much better. Fast forward 5 years to spring 2017: my "new" stylist has moved, so it has been several months since my hair was last color-treated. I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns for weeks!! She cannot explain it, but says some people just have sensitive scalps. That may be the case, but something has changed in the past 5 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist), has driven me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.

Starting 7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and was happy with the color and the experience, except that the color seemed to wash out pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity and I accepted that explanation, as I didn't know any better. It was pretty expensive to keep it up, but i liked it enough to continue until that stylist left and I then found a non-Aveda salon which, to my delight, also provided organic hair color which persisted much better. Fast forward 6 years: my stylist isn't working out anymore, so I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns, for weeks!! Giving Aveda the benefit of the doubt, I ask my stylist about this next time I'm in, and she cannot explain it, only attributes it to some people (including one of their own Aveda stylists who also cannot tolerate it) being more sensitive -- quite rightly, she says she will not apply this to my hair again. Something has changed in the past 5 or 6 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist) are driving me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.

on 3/26/2017 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have dyed my hair at the roots med brown, for over ten years. I thought i would go to an Aveda salon, as it was plant based, and i am very health conscious, so I thought I would not be getting the harsh chemicals.
1st time I went, i got an itchy scalp. 5 weeks later went again, told her, and she said don't wash your hair for ONE week prior to colouring…not going to happen. seriously?
Then the next day, I developed welts that itched and oozed on my scalp. next day and day after welts and itchy red marks appeared on my body. Next day all my glands swelled up.
There is nothing gentle or less harmful about Avedas products for colouring.. They still have the PPD or whatever the toxic chemical os….but when you call Aveda to tell them what happened they do NOT want to know about it.
AT ALL.
So warning. If your head ever starts itching after a dye….Be aware…you are most likely going to be getting an allergic reaction in the future. Google Hair dye skin rash ….and Aveda is way too often mentioned.

This is for my experience at an Salon that only uses Aveda color. I went from a 5 brown to a light blonde. I'm not sure if it was Aveda color or the bleach process but my hair was so fried- like noodle-y mushy hair that broke off at some spots to my crown. On top of that my hair did not grow in length for over a year because it would grow from the root and just break off at the ends. It looked like matted old doll hair. No amount of products or conditioners helped (except Lush hsuan) maybe this was a freak incident and not due to Aveda color, but if I owned a wig, I'd have been better off wearing it..

on 1/29/2016 11:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My color results were beautiful but lasted for only 3-4 shampoos! I have thick wavy coarse hair and alot of it. I went to an Aveda salon for over a year to color my hair reddish brown. My natural color is a medium brown with some silver grays so I want something that will cover those stubborn grays. I enjoy the "Aveda experience" but it is a waste of my money. While my hair remained healthy, I can't justify spending the money at an Aveda salon for very temporary hair color. I've found that Wella, Davines and Redken last much longer than Aveda. If you want a soothing hair experience with a scalp massage then I still recommend going for a cut only.

on 12/30/2015 10:08:00 AM

Ive been colouring my mousey hair blonde for 30 years but take care of it. Four months ago I moved and needed a new hairdresser. I starting seeing an Aveda colour specialist. My hair was long, straight, healthy and while fine, I had a lot of it. After two Aveda colour bookings about 30 percent of my hair has broken off. On top it was about 30cm long but now much of it is a fuzzy 3cm long - its a mess. I am devastated. After the first visit when I pointed out some initial breakage, the hairdresser said it was the previous salon's fault. I asked whether I should have another colour and she said it would be OK and went ahead, not concerned at all. But after the second visit, huge chunks of my hair broke off - the whole top section which was coloured at Aveda. My healthy hair is now so thin and stringy, just awful. Ive had to cut four inches off so far and that's just the start. I believe the colour product is too strong for fine hair.

Like many women I loved my hair so am very annoyed :(

on 8/27/2015 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I paid $105 for a trim and all over color at my local Aveda salon. This price is on par with most other decent to high-end salons in my area.
The stylist took her time and did not rush. She was very friendly and very knowledgeable. I was in the chair for a total of about two hours. I've had everything done to my hair from box dye, to colors and highlights at mid-end salons like Regis, all the way to high-end salons and even henna.
In my opinion haircolor is haircolor, as far as the results on my hair I've never noticed anything startling or over-the-top gorgeous between all the different methods, with henna being the exception. They all do some degree of damage and are drying.
The reason I like the Aveda experience is because it is not as stingy, not as stinky and seems a little bit safer in terms of chemicals.
But it's not a miracle and in my opinion Aveda color is not a far superior haircolor beyond everything else that is out there.

I have never had my hair respond so negatively; it was like straw and the color was really nothing to crow about. Worse still, my hair started falling out like I had never experienced--I mean in tufts. I was terrified. Went to Google to see if anyone else had had such reactions and was completely shocked by how many people experienced major hair loss on the heels of these color treatments. This is no joke: Aveda seriously need to give potential patrons some warning.
Also, I really wasn't crazy about having nearly 4 hours of my day eaten up for this process. NOTE TO AVEDA: If I need a message, I'll go get one; ditto all the "complementary" treatments, that somehow showed up on the bill.
Furthermore the salon I was in was so busy and the stylist was so overwhelmed that I felt like I was a burden to her. Another stylist who wound up cutting my hair, due to some 'scheduling issues' or 'not enough/too much time' was very aggressively pushing products on me. To me, this approach was not about taking care of the client but more about 'get 'em, get 'em done, and sell, sell, sell.' The haircut was really poor and cut at such an odd length that all I could do is tie it back with a hair band. Treatments all-in ran me over $200.00 and ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.
It's been two months and my hair is finally recovering. NOTE to POTENTIAL Aveda Hair Color clients: read what's on the web--this 'nontoxic' stuff is potent and burns hair ---right down to roots.

on 8/15/2014 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For two years now, I have been getting my hair colored at an Aveda salon. The first two times, my hair looked fantastic. I DID notice that my hair was shedding quite a bit after coloring, but I attributed that to stress. After about a year of seeing this same Aveda stylist, my hair was noticeably thinner. I asked my stylist about it and she said it must be due to my age (perimenopause) or diet (gluten). I accepted this and continued to see her. Now, another year later, I have lost about 50% of my hair. I decided to do an internet search and sure enough, there are many people who have found that Aveda color causes major hair loss for them. Who knew? What made me suspect that it was the hair color was the fact that I lost SO MUCH HAIR right after coloring. I hope to goodness this is reversible! I have done some reading and I will go with organic color systems from now on. Aveda color is too harsh for the hair.

on 8/8/2014 6:17:00 AM

I love the smell of Aveda products and the stylists who work in the salons are usually friendly and seem to really believe in their products. Unfortunately, after spending $300 for highlights and a range of products to carry home with me, it wasn't long before I figured out that Aveda was the culprit behind my fried hair. It has never been in worse shape in my entire life. The highlights have left my hair damaged beyond repair, and I unwittingly continued using the products I brought home with me, thinking if I just kept using them, my hair would get better - after all, that's what I paid for, that's what I was sold. My hair is just getting worse with every passing use and I'm so upset for having spent so much money and now I have to have it all cut off because it's just fried and looks awful. The shampoo doesn't really seem to lather too well, but maybe it's not supposed to? The conditioner just doesn't even seem to penetrate my hair, it's weak feeling and just doesn't do anything. The tiny bottle of oil that was meant to help smooth the ends after styling just absorbs right away and leaves no trace of even being used. I'm glad these products seem to work for some people, but my normal, wavy textured hair just doesn't seem to conform to this product, no matter how good it smells. My advice: Proceed with caution. Actually, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and would rather tell you to run away from Aveda like your hair is on fire, because, evidently, that's pretty much what they did to mine. Here's to hoping I like my new short hair cut (sad tear for losing years of work growing it out)!

Popular Hair Products