AVEDA Salon Hair coloring

No Image

2.8

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

The UK flagship Holborn salon is always a joy to visit; it's pleasantly busy, not too overcrowded, well laid out and the staff are always welcoming and friendly, offering delicious teas and hand massages. I really wanted to get on with Aveda colour due to its organic and plant-based properties, yet am going to have to let it go as it's just not delivering the same kind of rich, dimensional colour I had before I used them. My colour constantly looks very flat; you can hardly see it (I paid £135!) and unfortunately I have lost a lot of hair since using them. Checking old photos I noticed my old hair colour was way more rich-looking, dynamic, alive, layered and dimensional, and since using Aveda, it has turned to straw with a colour that resembles dirty dish water. :(

on 7/22/2018 9:11:00 AM

I just had my hair colored at an Aveda salon three weeks ago. I noticed after washing it that it felt like glue when I applied shampoo. I thought maybe I needed to wash out some of the products the stylist had applied, since she used several products after washing it. It didn't feel great, but I was hopeful that whatever was on it would work its way out. Not so. The next time I washed it, one week later, it felt even more glue-y when wet and was absolutely straw-like after showering. To make matters worse, a TON of hair fell out. I freaked out when I realized that my hair was chemically damaged. Feeling a little better that I'm not the only one who has had these issues, but I will certainly never use Aveda color again. FYI, I've had my hair colored regularly for the last 8 years and NEVER experienced anything like this.

on 6/21/2018 12:40:00 PM

I came to this site because I was looking for some input on some questions I had for a little grey coverage. I started to notice the negative reviews from "different people" were WORD FOR WORD the exact same review. I do love Aveda. Its great & makes my hair feel amazing. Beware of fake reviews. Never had my scalp "burn" for weeks. What a joke. I dont work for Aveda. Im a REAL PERSON who is not an idiot when they see fake reviews.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My sister recommended the Aveda hair colour salon in our town. I have fine healthy hair with no grey and I am 64. My hair is long. My hair has never been the same since the salon visit. From the very first time I washed it after the initial blonding it felt coated. It began falling out almost immediately, especially after I washed it. I had it coloured a year and a half ago and my hair actually matts when I wash it. The hair shaft is thin thin thin almost like the product ate it. It is dry dry dry and no amount of conditioner is helping. If I gently tug my hair several hairs will fall out. Hair everywhere.

I will never ever use this product on my hair again. I will be forever growing it out. My hair actually has the texture of candy floss now. I have no idea what is in this product all I know is it is touted as all natural. I don't know what component is all natural but it caused considerable damage to my hair. I have no idea how a product like this gets on the market.

I will be running back to L'Oreal after this like my hair is on fire..........literally!

on 8/26/2017 1:57:00 PM

8-26-2017
Hey all- heads up (no pun intended): L'Oreal has always been my color. No issues whatsoever with L'Oreal on my hair; how long it lasts, (very well), or the luster it creates. Yesterday however, I went to Aveda for a trim, and thought I'd save time by also getting a root color refresh. Aveda said color should remain on for 30 minutes. Within 10 minutes after application, close to 👉extreme burning of my scalp👈 started. As my stylist left the floor during processing, I was on my own. The pain level was right on the brink of me jumping up for color removal, and only slightly subsided at the 30 minute completion point. Although I've got no visible damage to my scalp yet, (20 hours later)---I would NEVER recommend that anyone else even take the chance that they might go through the pain that I felt trying Aveda hair color, (and believe me, I'm no Sissy Chick:). Consider yourself advised!
Hope that helps.

on 7/24/2017 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and while I was happy with the color, it seemed to fade pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity. It was pretty expensive to keep up, but I stayed on until that stylist left, then switched to a non-Aveda salon which also used organic hair color which -- hallelujah! -- persisted much better. Fast forward 5 years to spring 2017: my "new" stylist has moved, so it has been several months since my hair was last color-treated. I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns for weeks!! She cannot explain it, but says some people just have sensitive scalps. That may be the case, but something has changed in the past 5 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist), has driven me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.

Starting 7 years ago I began getting my greying natural blonde hair dyed a nice coppery red at my local Aveda salon, and was happy with the color and the experience, except that the color seemed to wash out pretty fast -- the stylist told me this had to do with my hair porosity and I accepted that explanation, as I didn't know any better. It was pretty expensive to keep it up, but i liked it enough to continue until that stylist left and I then found a non-Aveda salon which, to my delight, also provided organic hair color which persisted much better. Fast forward 6 years: my stylist isn't working out anymore, so I return to Aveda for a roots touch-up with a stylist I trust, and my scalp burns, for weeks!! Giving Aveda the benefit of the doubt, I ask my stylist about this next time I'm in, and she cannot explain it, only attributes it to some people (including one of their own Aveda stylists who also cannot tolerate it) being more sensitive -- quite rightly, she says she will not apply this to my hair again. Something has changed in the past 5 or 6 years, and I don't think it's my scalp. Too bad, because this experience, combined with the exorbitant prices (especially when my favorite was promoted to master stylist) are driving me away from Aveda salons for the second and probably final time.

on 3/26/2017 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have dyed my hair at the roots med brown, for over ten years. I thought i would go to an Aveda salon, as it was plant based, and i am very health conscious, so I thought I would not be getting the harsh chemicals.
1st time I went, i got an itchy scalp. 5 weeks later went again, told her, and she said don't wash your hair for ONE week prior to colouring…not going to happen. seriously?
Then the next day, I developed welts that itched and oozed on my scalp. next day and day after welts and itchy red marks appeared on my body. Next day all my glands swelled up.
There is nothing gentle or less harmful about Avedas products for colouring.. They still have the PPD or whatever the toxic chemical os….but when you call Aveda to tell them what happened they do NOT want to know about it.
AT ALL.
So warning. If your head ever starts itching after a dye….Be aware…you are most likely going to be getting an allergic reaction in the future. Google Hair dye skin rash ….and Aveda is way too often mentioned.

This is for my experience at an Salon that only uses Aveda color. I went from a 5 brown to a light blonde. I'm not sure if it was Aveda color or the bleach process but my hair was so fried- like noodle-y mushy hair that broke off at some spots to my crown. On top of that my hair did not grow in length for over a year because it would grow from the root and just break off at the ends. It looked like matted old doll hair. No amount of products or conditioners helped (except Lush hsuan) maybe this was a freak incident and not due to Aveda color, but if I owned a wig, I'd have been better off wearing it..

on 1/29/2016 11:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My color results were beautiful but lasted for only 3-4 shampoos! I have thick wavy coarse hair and alot of it. I went to an Aveda salon for over a year to color my hair reddish brown. My natural color is a medium brown with some silver grays so I want something that will cover those stubborn grays. I enjoy the "Aveda experience" but it is a waste of my money. While my hair remained healthy, I can't justify spending the money at an Aveda salon for very temporary hair color. I've found that Wella, Davines and Redken last much longer than Aveda. If you want a soothing hair experience with a scalp massage then I still recommend going for a cut only.

Popular Hair Products