TheBalm Sexy Mama

TheBalm Sexy Mama

4.2

mica, boron nitride, polyethylene (and) PTFE, zea mays (Corn) starch, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, styrene/DVB copolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidinone rice starch, iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, gossypium herbaceum (Cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Nice setting powder for oily dehidrated skin. It gives certain glow to face, it's not flat matte but keeps my oily face under control. This is my first theBalm product and I quite like it. It has good ingredients an doesn't feel heavy.

Love this powder! Controls shine and works beautifully over my powder foundation during touch-ups. The price is quite reasonable too, as it lasts and lasts. However, you will need to carry a separate brush to apply this on the run. And I'm not into the picture on the front cover (I actually pasted a sticker over to cover it! Haha). I have repurchased this a few times. Other than the packaging, this powder is amazing.

To Read all 103 Reviews, Login or Join

Just got this powder and i have to say so far its the best setting powder i have yet to own lol! I mean, i dont own that much nor have i tried a ton but to me this powder sets my foundation/bb cream BEAUTIFULLY. Its not flat matte and it doesnt leave a white cast on my skin tone (light medium-ish atm). I dont mind getting oily after an hour or so i can always blot my face anyways. For my oily combo skin it stays matte for abt an hour and then becomes sort of dewy and stays like that until like 6 hours then its oil town all over my face haha. But then again i dont mind that. I just was looking for a powder that would set my foundation and not look cakey and this is my fave for now! I believe i will repurchase this!! I really cant be bothered with loose setting powders coz of the mess, so this is perfect for me. Maybe in the future i will try the laura mercier one but for now i will stick to this! Oh and i use it with my zoeva 106 powder brush. Pat pat pat then blend <3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this on a whim as I needed a powder to set and mattify my foundation. It works as promised but is nothing special. Looks natural but face feels a bit flat - can also be a bit chunky if you have dry skin. Would probably buy again.

on 8/11/2015 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really liked this! I actually bought this on a whim, partially because I needed a translucent powder and partially because I love the retro/vintage 50's looking packaging. I'm a sucker for it.
For me, being fair, it's hard to find powders that do offer translucency because some end up saying they are "translucent" but end up having a pink or yellow tinge to them. I actually came across some in the past that even claimed they were translucent and were DARKER than my skin tone on my face!
This didn't do that for me! I was amazed and so happy! It sucked up oils throughout the day and set my concealer in place and overall did its job. I appreciate that.
Thanks theBalm, I appreciate your product and I will definitely look into buying more products from you.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried giving this product many chances but it always looked terribly cakey. It made every foundation and BB cream I used look awful, fake, and like I had baking flour in my pores. I had to throw it away after it caused me much embarrassment.

on 8/8/2015 4:11:00 PM

So far I'm loving this. I'm a make up artist and I thought I'd give this a try for some weddings I had booked. I have to say I'm very impressed. My main gripe about 'translucent' powder is that they are NOT translucent and end up making my brides look ghost faced and cakey (and yes, I've tried the big names at Sephora and drugstore). I'm very impressed that this does disappear (the darkest model I had was a medium-dark olive complexion), it did not settle into fine lines around the eyes, it absorbed oil (it was a humid day) and there was no heavy packaging to weigh my kit down. I will repurchase this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Finally, a face powder I'm not meh about! I like this! A lot, even!

Just a heads up though: this is a product category that I don't have much experience with as far as trying lots of different brands. It's not like I went and tried eleventy billion face powders only to finally settle upon THIS ONE! Nope. That's not how things went down.

That's mainly because I've been disappointed by other face powders in the past (I think I tried two or three, which is really not very many). Just never liked the way they looked on my skin. Usually they looked too cakey, too chalky or were somehow aging. They all got discarded into the "meh pile" in short order and I decided that face powders just didn't work for me. DISMISSED! Out of hand! Because! REASONS!

Just in case it isn't clear, the plural "they" I'm throwing around is technically accurate, but literally means more than one. Two for sure, three at best. Just being honest. Compared to folks who've tried far more face powders, my opinion is sort of garbage and I fully admit that.

Moving along...

I never would have bothered trying this except I have a TheBalm shop a block from me and that's where I go for my regular eyebrow waxing.

When things are slow, they like to have fun by trying different products on me after the waxing is over. Sometimes they show me how to properly apply products I've purchased from them in the past (Bahama Mama in particular I find tricky — they always make it look good on me but I tend to make it look like I smeared dirt on my face when I attempt to apply it myself — sadly, it's like graduating to big girl pants and then not being able to button the fly), and sometimes they show me something new.

On my last visit, I happened to be trying out a new sunscreen for the first time that turned out to be...rather dewy. The SA decided to mitigate that by applying Sexy Mama. It was truly a "hey, lemme fix that for you!" kind of deal as she understood that powder isn't usually my thing.

But you know what? It turns out that Sexy Mama is!

On my skin (which is mostly normal/prone to dehydration, but can get a little dewy on a warm day, or when wearing greasy SPF!), it's just right. Not chalky, not cakey, not lifeless and not aging on my 38-going-on-39 year old skin. It's just lightly mattifying, doesn't settle weirdly, and just somehow softens things up just so. Basically, it makes my skin look better in a subtle way, which other powders I tried failed at. It's like porridge that's just the right temperature. Not too hot, not too cold.

I really wasn't expecting to like it so much, but I did and purchased. Highly recommended.

FYI. I think this is a product that probably works well with a broad range of skin types (as long as you're not looking for a truly matte finish, but one that still has life in it) but I'm not sure if it works well with a broad range of skin tones. It's translucent, but not technically transparent, and in the pan, it's a creamy, neutral, light beige.

on 6/22/2015 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I am now reaching the end of my first Sexy Mama powder and I have to say this products rocks! I use it as a mattifying powder on my T zone (combination skin) and it keeps my face shine free for the better part of the day. No flash back effect, it looks pale beige in the pan but it doesn't alter the shade of my base products underneath. It is very finely milled and applies flawlessly without any blending effort. It is unscented and easy to carry around. Like most TheBalm compact products, a minor downside is the fact that the cardboard packaging can become quite dirty, but I usually wipe it clean with a small alcohol swab and it does the trick.

on 5/31/2015 7:47:00 AM

After reading tons of positive reviews about Sexy Mama, I decided to buy it. In fact, I bought it twice - the first time it turned out to be A FAKE ONE. It didn't have the QR code and the stamp with its number on the back, and I couldn't return it. So, ladies, make sure you shop from a trusted place! Sorry about the off-topic.
Now to the original one - it does what it's supposed to do, but it's not great at it. It's like that student who is very diligent, has good grades and always does his homework, but he's just not an excellent one. Sexy Mama will certainly mattify your skin without making it dull, it won't alter the colour of your foundation, and on top of your blush, it will make it last longer. However, it has to be reapplied every few hours (which is perfectly fine, if it wasn't for all the reviews about how long lasting it is). I have combination skin with dry cheeks and just a little bit oily T-zone, and I've been using it throughout the spring. I don't mind reapplying it every 3-4 hours, but when summer heat comes, that will probably have to be even more often. And if you have oily skin, prepare to do it probably every couple of hours.
Last but not least, Sexy Mama is not suitable for camera makeup, as it contains very small shiny particles that will not give the matt effect needed in the professional video shooting. Yet, it's perfectly usable for everyday makeup.