Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel

Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel

3.3

on 4/25/2016 12:44:00 PM

I bought this product because I thought a more natural hair tint would be better for my hair.

I was WRONG!

this hair dye really dried my hair, absolutely horrible.

I tried L'Oreal Casting Creme before using this and it was perfect for my hair ! didn't dry my hair at all.

I'm very disappointed at this "herbal" dye.

NEVER again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I would only buy this again for ethical reasons until I find another that has more accurate colour codes.

You have to be aware this colour comes up darker than you expect and also much warmer. That's why I chose 7N & 7C hoping for a medium ash brown. It was still warmer (copper under tone). And I'm sure it will then wash off to reveal more of the warm tones which I don't like.

It's true that it's quite drying, but the sachet of conditioner did soften it again. Though I'm glad I only used it on my roots as my ends would have become worse.

As far as skin reaction, It left my head mildly warm, but not burning or tingling. So do a skin test if you're sensitive. It is easy to remove from your skin and doesn't stain your hairline.

The smell is very mild which is a huge plus as other harsh brands make my eyes water.

I will stick with it because it's less chemicals and does not test on animals, until I find one with better reviews for another gentle ash tone dye.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/24/2015 3:57:00 PM

I was quite happy with the results of this product for half a year. Especially the natural colour of 6N. But after using it a few times, it has left my hair brittle and lifeless. I had my doubts about it as one or two organic food stores in the town refuse to stock it, saying that it is completely unnatural. This I found out the hard way. I was trying to get curcuma stains off my fingers so I took the bottle of oxygenated water that comes in the Herbatint packet and I put some on a cotton swab and proceeded to rub my finger with it. My finger began to burn and then it turned white from being burned. I was shocked and anxious. If it does that to my finger, what is it doing to my hair. Just dip a finger in that water like substance and you will see that this could be considered even as a dangerous product. Frightening how naive we consumers are.

on 10/21/2014 2:42:00 PM

Absolutely terrible product my scalp has been tender and the colour was dark brown instead of blonde i have sensitive scalp and this product made it worse don't know what they put in it but I thought it would be better since it is herbal can't wait till it grows out

on 9/19/2014 7:56:00 PM

PLEASE avoid this product unless you want your hair to fall out! I'm not trying to be dramatic. I'm just trying to help others avoid what I've been through. I used this product once and it completely dries out on hair. The hair all around my crown is completely bald! This has been the worst hair experience I have EVER had. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

on 8/10/2014 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really struggle with giving this product a 3 star rating, more of a 2.5 for me. I can't give it too low of a rating, because it does cover really well and it looks very glossy. However, it's about 2 shades darker than I expected. I have used 5N & 6C shades, from different companies, for years. This is more of a 3.5N on me. I have naturally light golden brown hair, but don't typically use a 5D because I have so much brass that comes through. I previously used the Herbatint 6C, Dark Ash Blonde, and was pleased with the results. I wouldn't consider that a blonde, definitely darker, but I expect that from an ash. I did not expect such a drastic difference between the 6C & 5N! I would also note that I don't remember getting a rash from the 6C, but the 5N made my skin red everywhere it touched. It went away, but that was a red flag for me. I noticed a ton of hair lost during this last coloring (the 2nd one with Herbatint) and I have been coloring my har for many years, with traditional permanent & demi-permanent but "natural" for the past 7-8 years. I've even done henna/indigo (nice, but oh so time consuming and I never could get used to the smell). My hair has been shedding a lot in the past week. Maybe the last coloring just coincided with the end of life cyle for a lot of my hair, but it's a touch distressing. Also, with every other brand I've used, I can use one box for 2 colorings, but have to use almost all of the whole box of Herbatint. It does seem to last 2 weeks longer than Naturcolor and Tints of Nature, but I'm not sure that's enough of a reason for me to use Herbatint again.

on 6/14/2014 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Sad to see some negative reviews here, but I get it as it's not everyone's cup of tea. The texture is unusual for hair color and it does require your own mixing bowl and tinting brush (which are a rather cheap investment anyway).

Me, however? Love. Love. Love. My hair: fine but über thick, naturally wavy/curly & color-treated = essentially a recipe for dry and potentially damaged hair. Add in that I live in Southern California and I surf regularly so you get a good picture of what I'm dealing with. I color my hair because I have a smattering of grays

What I love:
1. The product is thin, nearing runny but not quite (think egg whites). This is good for me because I have a ton of hair and a thinner product is MUCH easier to spread and get good coverage evenly for all my hair. It feels like a tint but it's permanent.
2. There is almost no scent. Like maybe a bit of rose, but nothing like some other natural brands and definitely not disgusting and borderline asphyxiating as commercial brands.
3. The color seems to last much longer than other brands and no run-off in the shower on the initial uses like other health food store brands.
4. You can easily measure enough product for a root touch-up and save the rest for the next one. The bottles have good twist seals and because it's thinner it's easier to measure out just what you need.

Tips:
1. The color runs dark so plan to go 1-2 shades lighter than what you want. Eg. I want a medium golden brown and I use Herbatint in dark golden blonde.
2. You have to supply your own mixing bowl and tint brush, so be prepared.
3. It's thinner so you need to make sure you're not adding too much to the brush or it will be messy. Have a towel on the floor to catch spills. I haven't spilt yet but I always prepare.

on 10/22/2013 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I've been dying my hair for the last 25 years since I had had salt-and-pepper hair since my early twenties. I started out with henna and I can claim that I have been through every brand available in the market.

I have a problem with chemical hair dyes: they trigger my migraine attacks. Since I have to dye my hair every three weeks, I have endured these attacks until my thirties, once or twice even seeking medical help. Too high a price to be paid for young-looking hair?

I also had concerns about chemicals such as resorcinol and triethanolamine, which were associated with cancer. So, I changed to Phyto. The colour was great, but it washed off too quickly and it was too harsh to my hair with its high ammonia content. Then I came across Herbatint. I even hesitated to use the first bottle I bought for a while. But the result was a pleasant surprise: it is a much gentler formula, has long staying power, and does not cause any migraine attacks.

But you have to bear in mind that the finish turns out a bit darker than chemical hair colours. I started out with 4R, which looked almost black on me. Now I'm going for a 5R.

on 9/24/2013 3:21:00 PM

i don't know whether i would buy it again....Actually i did like the colour when just done. I mixed 4c and 7c to get appr 6 with ashtones...the idea of dying the red tone off to a more natural/cool tone. It did cover grey (lightly...just fine)...After two weeks-or 6 washings (with sulfate-free shampoo) the effect was gone...the red glow unfortunately back. I like the idea that it is almost 100% natural and low hydroxinperoxide (3%)....but i think that means 'no long hold'

on 8/8/2013 7:30:00 AM

I have been using this for about 6 months every 5 weeks roughly. Love, love, love the colour. It is beautiful and makes natural caramel looking highlights (i have brown hair and use dark blond) . Hate the fact that it damages my hair so badly. My hair is now breaking on the crown and top in short frizzy bits, and feels like straw. Nothing seems to repair it (hair masks, oil, protein conditioner, leave in conditioner). I basically have fried my hair with this product i might need to cut it off. It also makes my scalp very itchy, and flaky, like every other color i have tried.

i was silly to keep using it for so long, it is because the color is so pretty.
I use all natural shampoo, don't go swimming and have normally thick, wavy, strong hair.

if you do really want to use this anyway, do make sure that you condition VERY well immediately afterwards. The little sachet of conditioner they give you is good stuff, but there is not enough for me (and i have a bob).
One lippy for the awesome color.