Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.4

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

on 12/3/2016 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has been my favorite permanent hair color for at least the past year and over the 30 years I've been coloring I've tried lots of different brands. Now I color to cover grays and give my hair a nice shine. I love that this processes in 10 minutes instead of the usual 25 or so. Keep in mind when choosing a color that it's going to be darker than you're anticipating so it might be a good idea to choose one shade lighter than what you want the first time you color. My natural hair is a very dark brown and I color using medium brown. After the first week or so the color does fade a bit and after three weeks or so you can see that my natural color is a bit darker but by then it's time to color again. My hair is long, past my shoulders, but since I only do my roots there's plenty of color in the bottle. My hair always looks and feels fantastic after I color.

This is the best hair dye ever! It always makes my hair so glossy and healthy looking- in 10 minutes. I absolutely adore the newest shade #3 darkest brown- but its so hard to find!
Even worse, my usual online retailer hasnt any stock now of ANY of the shades and im really starting to panic that theyve discontinued this... Can anyone advise?!

on 9/15/2014 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is the BEST hair color I've ever used. I haven't written a review here in a long time, but I feel compelled to after using this fantastic project. I'm a L'Oreal gal through and through, and have been using Preference for years, but my hair never felt this soft or looked this shiny after using Preference. Never. I used medium golden brown, and it's perfect...truly golden, not red. I keep running my fingers through my hair because it's so soft. My hair hasn't been in such good condition in years. I don't have any grays, so I can't speak about coverage there. It smells great. No noxious fumes. I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelves. I guess I'm a Clairol gal now.

on 10/3/2013 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I had picked up Perfect 10 in shade Lightest cool brown 6.5, I've been trying to get somewhere to my natural hair color for quiet sometime now, till tonight I finally got it and I'm very happy! My hair before I dyed it was ombre, which was a mistake, I didn't dye my hair ombre on purpose. So after that disaster it was redish brown and the ends were a light golden brown (what the heck, right?lol) So I stuck with it for two weeks, conditioned the poop out of my hair and pamperd it. Now my hair is pretty close to my natural hair color that I love.

The packaging, I didn't really like, it was sorta' hard to open and theres too much plastic packaging. Its nice that they give you an option of using the comb or the tip applicator, the forumla was runny so you had to work fast or you'd get it all over yourself. The smell was very strong, I couldn't really breath but its chemicals, what can you expect, right folks?! lol.

During the process my scalp was burning and itching. The conditioner that they provided you was decent. Nothing too special. All in all, I would buy this again, and I'm planning on buying another box very soon to hang onto. The prices vary depending which store you buy it from. I know at Walmart, here in Canada, its about ten bucks, which isn't too bad. But, I had picked this box dye up at a random drugstore and paid fourteen bucks. I don't mind paying alot for a box dye if it promises results, and it did.

I think for now on, I'm going to stick to Perfect 10. I'm glad I tryed it out, I was very against it before, I'll be honest! I had heard it would wreck the hell out of your hair and do nothing. My Mother whos fifty yrs old told me that she loves perfect 10 and swears by it and it workes on her stubborn grey hairs.

Another color thats VERY close to this is Nice n easy 114 Natural light ash brown. Compaire both swatches on Google and check it out. So thank you Clairol for the promising results. I will tell my family/friends about this dye if there interested in coloring their hair! :)

on 8/26/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I accidentally grabbed this in a medium brown shade when I meant to grab the dark brown, so I was leary about trying it since the last dye I used only seemed to dye the crown and random strands of hair. I decided to try it since a lot of reviews claimed that it ran darker than it was supposed to and it actually did, it seems to be a dark brown. It still only really dyed the crown and random strands of hair. I think my native american heritage keeps my hair from lightening properly, but it doesn't look all that bad actually. Anyhow, the comb attachment is very messy so I took it off and used the nossle. It has a VERY strong smell that lasted even after all of it was rinsed and the conditioner was applied. I think I can still smell it even after a few days and shampoo. The color is good but it's just so messy and I don't like the strong smell so this is a never again purchase

UPDATE: The color fades very quickly

on 3/19/2013 4:07:00 PM

I normally purchase the medium ash brown to get rid of my brassy tones, I applied and leave on for ten minutes and I always get a beautiful dark brown result which looks very natural and healthy, it never damages my hair and gets rid of all the brassy red and orange tones on my mid toned brown hair, a very good product and colour that I always get back to, Shame I can't find the shade.

on 1/7/2013 10:16:00 AM

Love this! Makes my hair glossy, no damage. Works in just 10 minutes. You can really smell the ammonia at first but then when you blend it with the peroxide, it smells really nice. They give you a TON so if you have longer hair, this would be good for you. Mine is almost to my shoulders and I had way too much leftover. I probably should have only used half the kit. Next time I'll know. The only bummer is a lot of stores in my area have this on clearance. I did a live chat with Clairol and they're not discontinuing it but fewer stores are going to carry it. I wonder what the stores are going to replace this with? I'm scooping it up wherever I find it.

Right now it is winter and I like being an ash brown in the winter, for some strange reason. I'm using 5A which is a medium ash brown. It doesn't pull too dark...pretty true to the shade on the box. It's also a green ash if you were wondering. I'll go red in the summer like I always do so I should pick up a couple boxes of red too.

on 12/4/2012 12:49:00 PM

I use this product to colour my mothers hair which has grey roots. I found this was a really good product!! even her hairdresser asked what colour was used and she regularly gets compliments on it! The directions are clear and the product is easy to use. The bottle comes with a comb making it easier to apply evenly on the hair. there is a wide variety of shades and there is plenty of product in the bottle. comes with conditioner which leaves hair super shiny.

on 10/17/2012 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have dyed my hair at home before as well as at the salon but hadn't in a few years and had my natural medium/dark brown hair back. I just used this in "Darkest Brown" and am pleased with the results. Lots of reviews said it turned their hair black. It's definitely very dark but not black - the darkest brown before black. I left it on for less than 10 minutes though so maybe that's why. I started putting it on at 8:53 and was washing it out around 8:59 and it's fully saturated color. If you are afraid of it being black, I would recommend leaving it on for a little less! It did not produce the annoying reddish highlights that a lot of dark brown box kits do, however I don't the verdict is still out on fading...

overall great result!