Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.3

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

This is the best hair dye ever! It always makes my hair so glossy and healthy looking- in 10 minutes. I absolutely adore the newest shade #3 darkest brown- but its so hard to find!
Even worse, my usual online retailer hasnt any stock now of ANY of the shades and im really starting to panic that theyve discontinued this... Can anyone advise?!

on 8/26/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I accidentally grabbed this in a medium brown shade when I meant to grab the dark brown, so I was leary about trying it since the last dye I used only seemed to dye the crown and random strands of hair. I decided to try it since a lot of reviews claimed that it ran darker than it was supposed to and it actually did, it seems to be a dark brown. It still only really dyed the crown and random strands of hair. I think my native american heritage keeps my hair from lightening properly, but it doesn't look all that bad actually. Anyhow, the comb attachment is very messy so I took it off and used the nossle. It has a VERY strong smell that lasted even after all of it was rinsed and the conditioner was applied. I think I can still smell it even after a few days and shampoo. The color is good but it's just so messy and I don't like the strong smell so this is a never again purchase

UPDATE: The color fades very quickly

on 3/19/2013 4:07:00 PM

I normally purchase the medium ash brown to get rid of my brassy tones, I applied and leave on for ten minutes and I always get a beautiful dark brown result which looks very natural and healthy, it never damages my hair and gets rid of all the brassy red and orange tones on my mid toned brown hair, a very good product and colour that I always get back to, Shame I can't find the shade.

on 3/8/2013 11:24:00 PM

So I've been a DIY person for a while now and I figured that I would try this "Prefect 10" colour since they say that the colour is completely perfect and has multiple tones. Naturally when I bleach my hair it goes orange and I usually use a simple "light ash blonde" colour and it does the trick perfectly.
Well my experience with this product was horrendous. My hair was moderately damaged from over bleaching but this product took my hair from a little frazzled to crinkled and split ends. I should have known how harsh this was just by how warm my head was. Even the colour was less then satisfactory since I did buy the ash blonde colour I was expecting my hair to NOT be golden in the end, man was I ever disappointed! Never again will I use a Clairol hair colour.

on 2/15/2013 7:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I used this awhile ago when i prelightened my hair, i chose a medium chocolate auburn colour. I have to say that the colours from this brand are the best colours out of all the home dye brands i have tried possibly 90% of them home colour brands over the years. Nice n easy is by far the best. Now the downside... It fades very quickly BUT my hair a few years ago WAS bleached (pre-lightened) to get the jet black hair dye out that i had sported for about 10 years. So my hair was chemically treated and most people know that when you apply colour to heavily chemically treated hair there are two possible outcomes 1./ either the colour will grab like a monkey to its mother onto the chemically treated parts because it is porous (dry) and will suck up the colour like sponge OR 2./ The colour will go into the hair shaft of the chemically treated parts and fall right back out again after a few washes due to the protective layer that should seal after colouring being damaged due to things like bleaching and perming. No2 is what happened to me, before i was knowledgable on these things. So now of recent years I havent tried Perfect 10 on my hair its not been messed about with lots of chemicals since then but i must say that Perfect 10 to me is just a watered down version of the Nice n Easy original brand, it just has a few more warmer colours to choose from. Those colours are gorgeous dont get me wrong yummy chocolatey colours they do have ...but to get "the whole packege deal" go for the original Nice and Easy.

on 1/7/2013 10:16:00 AM

Love this! Makes my hair glossy, no damage. Works in just 10 minutes. You can really smell the ammonia at first but then when you blend it with the peroxide, it smells really nice. They give you a TON so if you have longer hair, this would be good for you. Mine is almost to my shoulders and I had way too much leftover. I probably should have only used half the kit. Next time I'll know. The only bummer is a lot of stores in my area have this on clearance. I did a live chat with Clairol and they're not discontinuing it but fewer stores are going to carry it. I wonder what the stores are going to replace this with? I'm scooping it up wherever I find it.

Right now it is winter and I like being an ash brown in the winter, for some strange reason. I'm using 5A which is a medium ash brown. It doesn't pull too dark...pretty true to the shade on the box. It's also a green ash if you were wondering. I'll go red in the summer like I always do so I should pick up a couple boxes of red too.

on 12/4/2012 12:49:00 PM

I use this product to colour my mothers hair which has grey roots. I found this was a really good product!! even her hairdresser asked what colour was used and she regularly gets compliments on it! The directions are clear and the product is easy to use. The bottle comes with a comb making it easier to apply evenly on the hair. there is a wide variety of shades and there is plenty of product in the bottle. comes with conditioner which leaves hair super shiny.

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Just colored with the perfect 10 shade 5A-medium ash brown for the first time and am very happy with the results. It is the only at home color that covered my grays thoroughly-others have covered the gray but the color was much lighter on the gray than the rest. This one colored the gray making the grays the same color as the rest of my hair. (although I did have to reapply at the root above my forehead) . Used to use Feria, but they don't have a color similar to this one. The conditioner appears to make my hair nice and shiny, but will probably use my usual conditioners after my next wash.
True to color-no red highlights as with most brown shades even the ash ones.
Will report back after a couple of weeks as to how long this lasts.

on 10/28/2012 2:06:00 PM

I purchased and used this product specifically to try for LOWLIGHTS in my hair, not all over colour. I thought I would share my experience in case anyone was thinking of trying the same thing. I used 6WN - light chocolate brown. My natural colour is light brown mousey on the warm side, with some silvery grey. I don't do all over colour - in the salon I get highlights/lowlights. I got this kit to tide me over because my girl was all booked up and I *needed* a colour boost for an upcoming trip. I picked this particular kit because of the comb applicator. My plan was to just 'streak" some colour through my hair with the comb, and just let it sit like that (rather than following the instructions and mixing it all through my hair).

Generally speaking, the process was easy, and my hair turned out well conditioned. I DID achieve a lowlight look. Although I just "streaked" the colour on, I still seem to have ended up with a lot of my hair coloured. Some of my old highlights and my grey streaks still show through, which is what I wanted. (My highlights are about two and a half months old).

In some areas (virgin hair/roots in particular) I got a definite red coming through. I don't mind that because I know my hair has that "lean" to it. I also know that in my case, this red effect tones down very quickly. It's not an issue for me but I mention because it may be undesirable for others.

I gave this kit four stars because it did what I wanted. I knew I wasn't going to get quite the same effect as salon foils so I didn't have super high expectations to begin with It is also just a "tide-me-over" for a month until I go for my usual highlight/lowlight at the salon. So, all that considered, I'm happy with the result.

For what it's worth, once I had the colour on I got completely terrified that it was going to look horrible (I was not using it according to directions after all, so no one to blame but myself if it bombed).... so yes I definitely had my moment of panic. However it did come out acceptably well for me - no tears, no emergency calls to the salon! (I don't normally write such long reviews but I wanted to describe my experience for anyone who was thinking of trying the same thing).

Oh, and I indicated that I would not purchase again, but that is only because I normally don't dare colour my hair at home, and I don't plan on doing this all the time. (I posted some photos of during the process and the after result on my profile page, for anyone who wants to see the outcome).

Popular Hair Color Products