Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.2

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

This is the best hair dye ever! It always makes my hair so glossy and healthy looking- in 10 minutes. I absolutely adore the newest shade #3 darkest brown- but its so hard to find!
Even worse, my usual online retailer hasnt any stock now of ANY of the shades and im really starting to panic that theyve discontinued this... Can anyone advise?!

on 7/13/2014 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've changed my hair a lot over the years but I always try to find the colour I want in this brand! I think the plus point about this is that it only takes 10 minutes to develop so if your after a quick root touch up or a quick dye this is the product for you! I recently used golden medium brown and it's a nice colour but I find that my hair is so shiny and looks in good condition after I've dyed it! I also really like the perfect 10 conditioner you get in the box. It only needs to be left on for 2 minutes but it does wonders for your hair!!

I'm on the fence about this one. I bought the color Lightest Cool Brown, because I wanted to cover some brassy tones in my light brown hair. This gave me the exact color I wanted...a soft cool brown that was multi-tonal (either that, or I missed a few spots). It got rid of most of the brassy color, and the few highlights showing through look very natural. I'd be really happy with this, except for the fact that I think I fried my hair. During the application process, I couldn't used the comb applicator, because my hair felt tangled, and all the comb did was get stuck, I ended up just using the regular tip. It also had a pretty strong odor, but it didn't burn or sting my scalp. When I was rinsing the dye, my hair felt like straw! I can't say it was all that whoopee before, but the dye left it crunchy. After applying the after color conditioner, it felt much better, but you know damage was done. I also lost a couple handfuls of hair. I can't say I'll use this again, even though it's the perfect color. We'll see how long it takes to fade, and how quickly the grays show up again. As a note, I used L'Oreal Excellence Crème about two months ago. I didn't care for the color, and it washed out within a few shampoos, but it didn't do so much damage. I guess I'll keep looking.

After checking out a really good review of this on the internet, I took the plunge and purchased it. I wanted to go from light golden blonde to an ashy dark blonde colour. I chose medium ash blonde 7.5, instead of dark blonde as I wanted the ash tones.

I found it easy enough to apply, and although I didn't really use the comb applicator, I thought it was a good idea. I got quite scared at how dark it seemed to be going within the 10 minutes, but after washing it off and drying it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty much an exact match of the colour I originally wanted. (Very similar to the box colour)
The coverage was even, and my hair actually looked shiny and in better condition after being coloured. It wasn't a flat colour (as I've found with other dyes) but quite multi-tonal.
Having said in the past I'd never bother with a box dye again, I'm actually really pleased I took a risk with this!
Definitely the best box dye I've tried.

on 10/3/2013 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I had picked up Perfect 10 in shade Lightest cool brown 6.5, I've been trying to get somewhere to my natural hair color for quiet sometime now, till tonight I finally got it and I'm very happy! My hair before I dyed it was ombre, which was a mistake, I didn't dye my hair ombre on purpose. So after that disaster it was redish brown and the ends were a light golden brown (what the heck, right?lol) So I stuck with it for two weeks, conditioned the poop out of my hair and pamperd it. Now my hair is pretty close to my natural hair color that I love.

The packaging, I didn't really like, it was sorta' hard to open and theres too much plastic packaging. Its nice that they give you an option of using the comb or the tip applicator, the forumla was runny so you had to work fast or you'd get it all over yourself. The smell was very strong, I couldn't really breath but its chemicals, what can you expect, right folks?! lol.

During the process my scalp was burning and itching. The conditioner that they provided you was decent. Nothing too special. All in all, I would buy this again, and I'm planning on buying another box very soon to hang onto. The prices vary depending which store you buy it from. I know at Walmart, here in Canada, its about ten bucks, which isn't too bad. But, I had picked this box dye up at a random drugstore and paid fourteen bucks. I don't mind paying alot for a box dye if it promises results, and it did.

I think for now on, I'm going to stick to Perfect 10. I'm glad I tryed it out, I was very against it before, I'll be honest! I had heard it would wreck the hell out of your hair and do nothing. My Mother whos fifty yrs old told me that she loves perfect 10 and swears by it and it workes on her stubborn grey hairs.

Another color thats VERY close to this is Nice n easy 114 Natural light ash brown. Compaire both swatches on Google and check it out. So thank you Clairol for the promising results. I will tell my family/friends about this dye if there interested in coloring their hair! :)

on 1/7/2013 10:16:00 AM

Love this! Makes my hair glossy, no damage. Works in just 10 minutes. You can really smell the ammonia at first but then when you blend it with the peroxide, it smells really nice. They give you a TON so if you have longer hair, this would be good for you. Mine is almost to my shoulders and I had way too much leftover. I probably should have only used half the kit. Next time I'll know. The only bummer is a lot of stores in my area have this on clearance. I did a live chat with Clairol and they're not discontinuing it but fewer stores are going to carry it. I wonder what the stores are going to replace this with? I'm scooping it up wherever I find it.

Right now it is winter and I like being an ash brown in the winter, for some strange reason. I'm using 5A which is a medium ash brown. It doesn't pull too dark...pretty true to the shade on the box. It's also a green ash if you were wondering. I'll go red in the summer like I always do so I should pick up a couple boxes of red too.

on 5/1/2012 10:44:00 PM

This product is okay. I got the colour in "Ginger in a Snap". it came out a LOT darker than what I was expecting. The packaging is alright, I didn't use the comb attachment at all, but I feel like this doesn't as much dye as other dyes do although it still provides a lot. My hair is down to my shoulder blades, VERY layered, so it's pretty thin and one box just barely covered my hair.

I got this product with a free coupon for it, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. It is a good product it's just not the colour I was expecting (it's more a dark red than an auburn). Plus this dye has left my scalp insanely itchy.

EDIT: DO NOT BUY THIS. It's been a little over a month since I used this colour and my scalp is still insanely itchy. I've been having to use Head And Shoulders (which is not something you should use with coloured hair) just to relieve the itch a little.

on 3/16/2012 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I don't color my hair often, but i have used a number of different products, so i am familiar with the process. I have medium-dark brown hair, so i don't expect any extreme color change. I now have a few white hairs scattered through my hair, and a lot of white at the temples. My hair is butt length, so the ends are a bit more fragile.
Perfect 10 claims to cover grey, and that was what i mostly was looking for. The foam is easy to use and doesn't drip. I started with the grey at the temples, to get max coverage, so by the time it had been on most of my hair for 10 minutes, it had been on the grey closer to 20.
Well, it was a bust. I picked what looked like a neutral brown - i don't recall which color now, either medium ash brown or light cool brown. It made most of my hair reddish. When i want reddish hair, that's great, but in this case i did NOT. It took a couple months before it washed down to the color on the box. Second, it did jack squat about covering my greys - well, ok, they had a very faded blonde look.
This stuff was one failure after another, except for the ease of application, which just doesn't cut it if the color is bad. Never again. This as an Imperfect 0.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this with my discount for 12$ (I work at a drug store).... My hair was very very light and I wanted to go back to my natural dark/medium brown.... I got this in "dark brown 04" thinking it was a beautiful colour, and it was.... On the box. I left it on for maybe 6-8 minutes and now my hair is black! I do like the comb applicator and my hair is beautifully soft but WOW! I am happy I look okay with black hair haha. If you want darker brown with this dye, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy it in like four shades lighter than you want!!! I'm hoping it will fade so I can try again haha.

Popular Hair Color Products