Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.2

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

on 5/1/2012 10:44:00 PM

This product is okay. I got the colour in "Ginger in a Snap". it came out a LOT darker than what I was expecting. The packaging is alright, I didn't use the comb attachment at all, but I feel like this doesn't as much dye as other dyes do although it still provides a lot. My hair is down to my shoulder blades, VERY layered, so it's pretty thin and one box just barely covered my hair.

I got this product with a free coupon for it, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. It is a good product it's just not the colour I was expecting (it's more a dark red than an auburn). Plus this dye has left my scalp insanely itchy.

EDIT: DO NOT BUY THIS. It's been a little over a month since I used this colour and my scalp is still insanely itchy. I've been having to use Head And Shoulders (which is not something you should use with coloured hair) just to relieve the itch a little.

on 12/10/2011 3:39:00 PM

This product did not cover my grey roots and didn't really change my colour much. I didn't really see the point of the comb either and the solution was was too watery and splattered down my back, up walls etc. I had high hopes for this and was disappointed. Shame I liked the colour on the box, hey ho back to the drawing board.

Wow, what an idiot I am. Spent all summer taking the dark brown-almost black hair color out of my hair. My hair ended up too light, so i would put medium brown colors that would fade extremely fast on my hair. I decided a dark brown would be a good option, so if it was dark enough, when it faded, it would be the color i wanted it to be. Boy was I ever wrong. Do not purchase any of these colors 04 and on. Your hair will be jet black with little hope for fading. Looks great with my pastey white skin too so THANKS A TON NICE N' EASY!

on 9/25/2011 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Nah...I was hoping to achieve the color listed on the side of the packaging, but this really did nothing at all for my hair. The roots lifted a bit lighter, but the next day, I noticed they looked brassy and reddish. Not sure why this happens, but I guess that's what you get from trying to achieve multi-toned, beautiful color from a box. You get what you pay for :(

on 5/2/2011 5:38:00 PM

I bought this in 'Dark Auburn' - the box showed a lovely deep red/brown, I'm sitting here looking alarmingly ginger. It's aggressively lightened my hair from it's natural dark brown colour (I just wanted to add some red tones) and while it's not an awful colour, it's NOT what I wanted or expected.

However that's not the worst thing about this product. It's really tricky to use owing to a much runnier texture than other dyes I've tried, it's a good job I covered the floor with an old towel as it dripped everywhere. I've never had any kind of reaction to hair dye, but my scalp feels slightly itchy and sore and I'm really worried I'll wake up tomorrow with weeping sores or something. Yeuch.

The only good points are the packaging, which is nicely designed, and the conditioner, which smells lovely. However I just would NOT use this again, or suggest anyone else does. It's really harsh. I'll stick to L'Oreal in the future.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have dyed my hair since I was 11, and I can quite honestly say this is the worst hair dye I have ever used. Although it says permanent, it blatantly isn't. This washed out of my hair within a month, wasn't even black (I purchased a black one), even though I followed all the instructions to a t (I even test for allergies before I dye my hair).
While I was dying my hair I always have the door open, but even with the door open the smell almost made me be sick, I just couldnt breathe and just constantly had to run to the window because it is a stupidly strong chemical smell, that makes the air so thick! I try not to dye my hair too often because I don't want to damage it, which is why I was excited about the idea of a 10 minute solution, however this was overpriced and a waste of money!

on 11/23/2010 12:05:00 PM

Well all I have to say is my hair turned blue! Yikes

on 5/10/2010 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This hair dye is horrible. I bought the color medium golden brown, and my hair was a dark blond. First off when I started dying my hair the smell was very strong, and I am usually not very sensitive to smells and then the comb applicator made a horrible mess. When I first dyed it, it turned out a bit darker than it was on the box but I just though it would fade a bit to about the box color. But within three weeks, it was faded to a light caramel brown. This was very disappointing.

I fell for the marketing/packaging and purchased the Light Ash Blonde. The color on the box was so beautiful, but oh my it turned my dark blonde hair orange at the roots and didn't even color the rest of my hair! I am still a brassy mess after applying a brass banisher and using purple shampoo for several weeks. I will not buy this product again, it is awful!