Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.2

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this product shortly after its release in the shade called "Full Tilt Toffee". Since I had gray hairs before I had a driver's license, I consider myself something of an expert in home hair color. I do use the salon, too, but I have very dark hair and those silver streaks at the roots become noticeable too quickly for me to drop $150 on hiding them every time. I've tried a wide range of hair color brands, including Natural Instincts, Preference, Excellence, Natural Match, Garnier, and Feria. My experience with brunette colors is that they nearly always come out darker and redder than the box would indicate. This is the first time that I've had a result thats truly consistent with the advertising. I love the color, and there is a depth and dimension to it that appears far more natural than other products. My hair is shiny and healthy, and the gray coverage is both more complete and longer lasting than any comparable at home product. In the past I would alternate between Natural Instincts and some permanent color to lessen the damage to my hair, but this product doesn't seem to dry it out at all! I also love the comb applicator nozzle; makes life easier, especially with a runnier formula. I will happily repurchase this when my roots start to show!
Edit in response to other reviews:
This product is more concentrated than other permanent hair colors, thus it only takes ten minutes to work. If you take ten minutes to apply it, and then let it sit for ten minutes, then it sits for twenty minutes or more on the first portion you applied to, which is typically your roots. Heat from your scalp also significantly speeds the chemical reaction at the roots. The result: "two tone" hair in a color inconsistent with the promised results. I realize that no product will work for everyone, but I truly believe that some of the people with dramatic mishaps may have inadvertently left the dye on for far longer than intended. When I use this or any permanent color, I begin timing when I start application, knowing that the two minutes or so I spend on my roots is part of the total time. My more porous ends absorb color more quickly and I'm left with even, beautiful color. Granted, my hair is quite short, but you get the general idea. I still highly recommend this, with the precaution that you have to be experienced with home hair color kits and follow the directions carefully and efficiently. I hope everyone isn't discouraged from trying Perfect 10, because I will be heartbroken if it's DC'd!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I always color my hair at home because that is what I can afford. I've tried a lot of drugstore dyes, maybe even all of them. Here is a quick overall pro list of this product:
*It does what it claims and the color is same as what the box says
*Colors roots same shade as hair; non brassy
*Is not messy; the least messiest dye I have ever used
*Ease of application
*Helpful instructions
*Time saving
*Great results and overall value.

Here is my in-depth review: I bought this after reading a great review on a beauty blog. The color I chose is Medium Ash Brown. I am naturally ash blonde but choose to dye my hair dark. One problem I've had with drugstore dyes is that the brown shades can run brassy and sometimes leave my blonde roots red and the rest very dark. When you open the package, there are several things: the bottle of dye, the tube of the actual color, a separate plastic brush head applicator, a generous big tube of conditioner, and of course, the instructions and a pair of gloves. I'll break everything down: the gloves fit great and weren't that awful cheap saran wrap texture, but smooth and sort of thick so it allowed more grip. First you empty the color dye into the bottle that looks like the regular one you use: with the cap you cover with one hand while you shake. What's great about this is that you don't need to break the cap open until you've shaken it up because you will use the brush applicator to apply instead! The instructions were very clear to shake for at least 20 seconds which I found helpful. Then I removed the top of the bottle cap and there literally WAS NO MESS. Messiness is one of the worst cons of coloring your hair at home, especially with dark dyes which is what I use. I then applied the brush applicator which is bigger than I expected, and not flimsy at all. It screws on very tight and doesn't feel like it wobbles or will come off. I then started at my roots. My hair is very fine and straight; but I recommend brushing your hair first to get rid of tangles. The brush end of this is very strong and will do a good job though. I squeezed to apply the color to my roots. Another thing I noticed about this compared to other drugstore dyes is that the brunette shades appear clear when I first apply on my roots; this was already the brown shade I wanted and it made me feel relieved I didn't have to wait to watch my roots turn color. I love the fact that you have to squeeze the dye out and it doesn't just run out or have a runny texture, this holds really well and yet again is another factor to why it isn't messy like other dyes. I applied all my roots first and the brush allowed my to really get in between sections that I can get when using other drugstore dye bottles. After my whole head was applied, I let it sit for a little over 10 minutes just to be sure it got dark enough but I'm sure you could go for only 10 especially if you already have dark hair. The smell isn't chemically at all; it smells like grape candy to me. In my opinion, the conditioner smells way better; like coconuts. I have to state again; I got no drips, no mess, and whatever I got on my skin was easy to remove because of the dyes thick texture. I let the conditioner sit on my hair for a long time and applied all over. It left my hair very shiny and detangled so I could run my fingers all the way down without tangles. The big gold star for me was that it actually turned my roots dark instead of red and my whole head was an even, consistent medium ash brown; exactly like what the box said. Now the price is 9.99, a little more than what other drugstore dyes are. For me it is worth every penny; for the results, the no mess factor, the time saving with only needing 10 minutes, the precise instructions, and the overall value. YES it is a perfect 10. I recommend to anyone who wants to color their hair at home or for a lower price than salon and with great results.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Ok, if by "Champagne Blonde", they mean Strawberry Blonde, and if by "perfectly covers your grays" they mean, "well, sort of", then I should be giving this a 3. But since I DON'T live in Clairol's fantasyland, where any overpriced crapfest can be packaged into a pretty enough box to fool consumers into thinking they actually LIKE the straw-like mystery-colored hair they end up with, I'll be giving it the lowest score I'm allowed (which is still being way too generous IMO).

Used this mess on my aunt's perfectly-toned brass-free medium blonde hair. Nary a red tone in sight--just needed to cover her grays. Now, her hair is a stripped, damaged disaster in a color no woman over 40 could ever carry off. AND it only covered parts of her gray. She doesn't really give a flip, but it makes me mad every time I look at her. If only one of those many extra bottles of crap they include contained a color corrector...

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

After checking out a really good review of this on the internet, I took the plunge and purchased it. I wanted to go from light golden blonde to an ashy dark blonde colour. I chose medium ash blonde 7.5, instead of dark blonde as I wanted the ash tones.

I found it easy enough to apply, and although I didn't really use the comb applicator, I thought it was a good idea. I got quite scared at how dark it seemed to be going within the 10 minutes, but after washing it off and drying it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty much an exact match of the colour I originally wanted. (Very similar to the box colour)
The coverage was even, and my hair actually looked shiny and in better condition after being coloured. It wasn't a flat colour (as I've found with other dyes) but quite multi-tonal.
Having said in the past I'd never bother with a box dye again, I'm actually really pleased I took a risk with this!
Definitely the best box dye I've tried.

on 10/3/2013 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I had picked up Perfect 10 in shade Lightest cool brown 6.5, I've been trying to get somewhere to my natural hair color for quiet sometime now, till tonight I finally got it and I'm very happy! My hair before I dyed it was ombre, which was a mistake, I didn't dye my hair ombre on purpose. So after that disaster it was redish brown and the ends were a light golden brown (what the heck, right?lol) So I stuck with it for two weeks, conditioned the poop out of my hair and pamperd it. Now my hair is pretty close to my natural hair color that I love.

The packaging, I didn't really like, it was sorta' hard to open and theres too much plastic packaging. Its nice that they give you an option of using the comb or the tip applicator, the forumla was runny so you had to work fast or you'd get it all over yourself. The smell was very strong, I couldn't really breath but its chemicals, what can you expect, right folks?! lol.

During the process my scalp was burning and itching. The conditioner that they provided you was decent. Nothing too special. All in all, I would buy this again, and I'm planning on buying another box very soon to hang onto. The prices vary depending which store you buy it from. I know at Walmart, here in Canada, its about ten bucks, which isn't too bad. But, I had picked this box dye up at a random drugstore and paid fourteen bucks. I don't mind paying alot for a box dye if it promises results, and it did.

I think for now on, I'm going to stick to Perfect 10. I'm glad I tryed it out, I was very against it before, I'll be honest! I had heard it would wreck the hell out of your hair and do nothing. My Mother whos fifty yrs old told me that she loves perfect 10 and swears by it and it workes on her stubborn grey hairs.

Another color thats VERY close to this is Nice n easy 114 Natural light ash brown. Compaire both swatches on Google and check it out. So thank you Clairol for the promising results. I will tell my family/friends about this dye if there interested in coloring their hair! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is the best OTC hair color I've used. Even my hairdresser-- who isn't happy that I color my own, but understands I'm both too cheap and too lazy to have it done professionally-- mentioned that my color looked much better after using this product.

The applicator, with a brush top, is great. I've been able to distribute the color more evenly. With the conventional applicators, I always miss spots, but with the Perfect 10 one I actually get color everywhere.

The 10-minute processing time is great, and this covers my fairly resistant grays. I've had issues with Garnier and L'Oreal colors not working on my grays (which is the reason I color!), so I'm totally happy on that front.

And, I also like the color. Shade #2, Darkest Brown, is just that. Not black, but the closest thing to black that is still brown, and without any red. It's definitely not black-- I have had black hair enough in my life to know!-- but as someone who constantly thinks my hair color is too light, I really like this color.

Full gray coverage, even application, and quick processing time: that all means I'm willing to spend a few dollars more. It's still cheaper than the salon. continued >>

on 5/17/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been coloring my hair for years, going back and forth between Clairol Nice & Easy and L'Oreal Excellence Creme. I can honestly say, this is the most drying color I have EVER used. I think the thing I would be careful about, is you don't really realize the damage that has been done until a few weeks later - about the same time you realize how quickly the color is fading. The color looks good at first, but fades quickly - and with the damage this color causes, who can afford to be recoloring every three weeks? If you do try this color, just pay attention a few weeks later - if you notice your hair is dryer and the ends are suddenly damaged - yes, this hair color did it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I used the "medium ash brown" colour on my hair yesterday (5A). It was alright, but compared to other drugstore hair dyes I've used in the past, this was nothing special. I usually buy the Dark Brown hair colour from other brands, but when I read reviews for the Perfect 10, people said that the dark brown looked almost black!! However, the Medium Ash Brown turned out to a nice rich looking dark brown colour (which is what I wanted). We'll see how quickly it fades, but for now the colour is perfect. The smell was not bad, it was strong, but not any stronger than other brands. My hair did feel dry when I washed out the colour, but the conditioner that came in the kit was very rich and restored back my hair--now it is feeling soft and smooth. I bought two boxes since I have long hair (half-way down my back) but I only needed one box (which was JUST enough colour for me). I would not buy this hair colour again though because it uses "hydroden peroxide" in it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Perfect 10 Hair color in Medium Auburn is my go to hair color for red hair. I have med brown hair naturally, but have been a wide range of med-dark brown and black over the past 4 years. I had to bleach my hair once to a light orangey state for the color to take hold and be red instead of reddish brown. The only thing is that like other reds, it fades. Fast (hence the 4 for overall rating). Use color protecting shampoo, wash/rinse in cold water, DON'T shampoo for the first 24-48 hours after coloring and it'll last longer.

The kit is kind of expensive (~$13), but the color is fabulous, very believable.