3.3

price range

Reviews

3.0

8 years ago

I bought this with my discount for 12$ (I work at a drug store).... My hair was very very light and I wanted to go back to my natural dark/medium brown.... I got this in "dark brown 04" thinking it was a beautiful colour, and it was.... On the box. I left it on for maybe 6-8 minutes and now my hair is black! I do like the comb applicator and my hair is beautifully soft but WOW! I am happy I look okay with black hair haha. If you want darker brown with this dye, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy it in like four shades lighter than you want!!! I'm hoping it will fade so I can try again haha.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Coarse

8 years ago

I used this in the ‘Medium Auburn’ shade, and I am quite pleased with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, which was add some reddish tones to my medium-brown hair. I picked this up on clearance at CVS for under $3, so I was quite nervous to use it in the first place, thinking it must be on clearance for a reason. I am pleased with the results and even went and purchased a back-up, since I’m assuming this is a discontinued shade. I skipped the ‘patch test’ since I’m not usually sensitive to hair dyes, and fortunately I didn’t have any sensitivity or reaction to this product. I found this kit easy to use, and the whole process start-to-finish probably took 20 minutes. I was a bit nervous when I mixed the color crème & the developer because it turned an awful greenish-brown color, but after applied it turned a deep burgundy brown. I didn’t find the smell particularly pleasant, but it wasn’t overpowering either. It had kind of a fruity-chemical scent. There was more than enough product to saturate my shoulder-length hair. I used the comb ‘attachment’ and I found it made applying & distributing the product easy. I made sure to brush/comb through my curly/wavy hair before applying, anyways. I watched the clock for 10 minutes, then hopped in the shower to rinse. It rinsed fairly easily, though I rinsed for a good 3 minutes, at least, just to insure all the product was out. My hair felt very dry & ‘straw like’ as I was rinsing, but I applied the included conditioner and that seemed to help. A week later, and my hair does not feel any drier or damaged in texture as a result of dying it. I am satisfied with the color result. I just wanted a subtle color change and that is what I got. I would say my final shade is a light-medium reddish-brown, instead of the brighter reddish shade pictured on the box. The color is even, and it has only faded slightly in the past week since I colored it. Bottom line, I thought the kit was easy to use and I liked the comb applicator. I am happy with the color result and it seemed to leave my hair in good condition. I realize that opinions are highly subjective depending on your hair’s color, condition, shade purchased, desired results, etc., etc., etc. , but for my medium length, medium brown hair, this gave me just the color boost I was looking for, with minimal effort.

About reviewer (203 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

8 years ago

I used Dark Brown and my hair turned out black. I was trying to get back to my natural Asian black hair but this shade of black was even darker than that, and had an obvious fake tone to it. It is like a blue-black after the blue tint fades. It just looks too harsh with my skintone so I can only hope it fades with time and doesn't come back to haunt me if I try to lighten my hair in the future. Drippy liquidy formula. I didn't have this problem before with other box dyes, but I couldn't twist my shoulder length hair into a bun because it was too wet from the dye. As a result, I had drips behind my neck and on my collarbones. They mostly faded in the shower but it is noticeable. I liked the brush applicator at first to comb through the roots near my forehead but it couldn't brush through the bulk of my hair so I just squeezed the dye into my glove and scrunched and finger-combed through my hair. This took too long to wash out of my hair. I had to resort to using shampoo 4 times before the water finally began running clear. Overall, I wasn't happy with the Dark Brown color because it turned out to be Midnight Black when used on my medium brown hair. Drippy and messy formula and long rinse time makes it unsuccessful for me. There are better and cheaper box dyes from Garnier or Revlon.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

8 years ago

Ok, I have very dark blonde hair naturally, I would mostly call it brown but it does have some blonde bits at the front. I tried dyeing it with the lightest blonde, it went horribly wrong, though I would say I didnt do it very well to be fair. I dyed the top, the lightest part, first, took too long doing it, then dyed the rest really quickly. I did leave all of it on for the ten minuites however it made little differnce to the lengths of my hair but turned the top a blaringly bright orange. Horrible! I then tried making it better by using the light ash blonde, it did help a bit. I then dyed my hair a few weeks later using the medium golden blonde 8G. This didnt help, its now even more orangy then after I'd used the light ash blonde. I'm not overly impressed however I would say my hair was fairly dark to start with and I didnt do the application very well, however I dont think that it was ever going to be brillient. Maybe it works better with already light blonde hair, but then whats the point, if you already have light blonde hair, you wouldnt need the dye surely. Overall not a great review but perhaps if I had used this dye on my natural hair the results would have been better.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

8 years ago

Natural hair color: auburn Starting hair color: medium brown Used: Lightest blonde (10) It was on sale, and I had a coupon, so I figured i would give it a try. I started with medium brown hair, and I wasn't sure if it would actually do anything, but it worked really well. I ended up with this color (http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/homecolour/images/precision-foam-colour/Sheer-Blonde/7G/the-shade.jpg). The creme smelled like candy, but smelled pretty strong once mixed. It left my hair super soft. Pretty great! Will definitely be using again.

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

3.0

8 years ago

Dyed my hair for the first time in about 5 years. Great color and coverage initially then it began to fade. Really dried out my hair and gave me split ends that I couldn't get rid of no matter how many times I trim it.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

8 years ago

While i LOVEd the hair color i achieved from it..the first two days it was awesome..and i expected it too fade but everytime i washed my hair i could see my hair get lighter and lighter. I even dyed it the same color twice because i had missed a few spots. what a waste of money. My hair within i'd say two weeks was so much lighter to what it was suppose to be. Luckily i can basically pull of any hair color but black so it looked good anyways but still....it was a WASTE!

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

EyesBlue

1.0

8 years ago

This product did not cover my grey roots and didn't really change my colour much. I didn't really see the point of the comb either and the solution was was too watery and splattered down my back, up walls etc. I had high hopes for this and was disappointed. Shame I liked the colour on the box, hey ho back to the drawing board.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

8 years ago

I'm impressed, and I'm never impressed completely with at home color! The product isn't overpoweringly smelly, covered all my grey evenly, and actually turned the color foretold on the box exactly! perhaps the most amazing part was how afterwards my hair was actually NOT damaged further! After years of trying to find a home hair color that did it all, I finally have found one I will continue to use! Yay!

About reviewer (54 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

1.0

8 years ago

Wow, what an idiot I am. Spent all summer taking the dark brown-almost black hair color out of my hair. My hair ended up too light, so i would put medium brown colors that would fade extremely fast on my hair. I decided a dark brown would be a good option, so if it was dark enough, when it faded, it would be the color i wanted it to be. Boy was I ever wrong. Do not purchase any of these colors 04 and on. Your hair will be jet black with little hope for fading. Looks great with my pastey white skin too so THANKS A TON NICE N' EASY!

AgeUnder 18