Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.3

on 9/22/2017 9:43:00 PM

Overall, I would buy this again in a pinch because it is only 10 min, but it isn't the best. Time is an issue for me right now, so I bought this over my usual excellence cream. I bought 6R and 7 and mixed them, with more 6R. The results were okay. My roots were mostly covered, and my grey was mostly covered. Neither was perfect. The overall color on my already dyed hair was great, though, and it all blended well. I bought a few boxes to stock up when I need them. However, when I have time, I definitely go back to using excellence cream.

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

on 7/13/2015 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This hair color is fantastic! Fell into a panic when I stopped seeing it in stores, but when it recently appeared on shelves again at Target I bought all the boxes in my color. I have been coloring my hair my entire life, since I first started turning grey in college. My greys are now plentiful and VERY resistant. This is the only hair color that consistently covers the grey completely and still leaves my hair soft and shiny. L'Oreal gets prime shelf space everywhere (I'm sure they pay $$$ for that), but every time I've tried any L'Oreal hair color it dried out my hair terribly. Clairol has been my go-to for the last several years, and Perfect 10 is the perfect, strong color my resistent greys require--and I don't need to leave it on my head for an hour!
Oh! I find the comb to work beautifully. Mind, since I re-color regularly I only do the roots and don't comb the color it all the way through my hair. But the comb makes it very easy to cover all the roots completely in a short period of time.
Great color, great product!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i bought espresso which is the darkest brown. when i applied it i could see it wasnt brown at all, it was black. i left it on for the 10 minutes and upon drying, confirmed this hair dye was black as I had thought and not brown at all. i am ok with it being darker as my natural colour is quite dark but it is still not the colour I was going for. the smell is quite strong but I do love the fact it processes in 10 minutes. i didnt find it did a lot of damage which was good.

This is the best hair dye ever! It always makes my hair so glossy and healthy looking- in 10 minutes. I absolutely adore the newest shade #3 darkest brown- but its so hard to find!
Even worse, my usual online retailer hasnt any stock now of ANY of the shades and im really starting to panic that theyve discontinued this... Can anyone advise?!

on 12/3/2016 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has been my favorite permanent hair color for at least the past year and over the 30 years I've been coloring I've tried lots of different brands. Now I color to cover grays and give my hair a nice shine. I love that this processes in 10 minutes instead of the usual 25 or so. Keep in mind when choosing a color that it's going to be darker than you're anticipating so it might be a good idea to choose one shade lighter than what you want the first time you color. My natural hair is a very dark brown and I color using medium brown. After the first week or so the color does fade a bit and after three weeks or so you can see that my natural color is a bit darker but by then it's time to color again. My hair is long, past my shoulders, but since I only do my roots there's plenty of color in the bottle. My hair always looks and feels fantastic after I color.

on 9/15/2014 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is the BEST hair color I've ever used. I haven't written a review here in a long time, but I feel compelled to after using this fantastic project. I'm a L'Oreal gal through and through, and have been using Preference for years, but my hair never felt this soft or looked this shiny after using Preference. Never. I used medium golden brown, and it's perfect...truly golden, not red. I keep running my fingers through my hair because it's so soft. My hair hasn't been in such good condition in years. I don't have any grays, so I can't speak about coverage there. It smells great. No noxious fumes. I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelves. I guess I'm a Clairol gal now.

I'm on the fence about this one. I bought the color Lightest Cool Brown, because I wanted to cover some brassy tones in my light brown hair. This gave me the exact color I wanted...a soft cool brown that was multi-tonal (either that, or I missed a few spots). It got rid of most of the brassy color, and the few highlights showing through look very natural. I'd be really happy with this, except for the fact that I think I fried my hair. During the application process, I couldn't used the comb applicator, because my hair felt tangled, and all the comb did was get stuck, I ended up just using the regular tip. It also had a pretty strong odor, but it didn't burn or sting my scalp. When I was rinsing the dye, my hair felt like straw! I can't say it was all that whoopee before, but the dye left it crunchy. After applying the after color conditioner, it felt much better, but you know damage was done. I also lost a couple handfuls of hair. I can't say I'll use this again, even though it's the perfect color. We'll see how long it takes to fade, and how quickly the grays show up again. As a note, I used L'Oreal Excellence Crme about two months ago. I didn't care for the color, and it washed out within a few shampoos, but it didn't do so much damage. I guess I'll keep looking.

After checking out a really good review of this on the internet, I took the plunge and purchased it. I wanted to go from light golden blonde to an ashy dark blonde colour. I chose medium ash blonde 7.5, instead of dark blonde as I wanted the ash tones.

I found it easy enough to apply, and although I didn't really use the comb applicator, I thought it was a good idea. I got quite scared at how dark it seemed to be going within the 10 minutes, but after washing it off and drying it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty much an exact match of the colour I originally wanted. (Very similar to the box colour)
The coverage was even, and my hair actually looked shiny and in better condition after being coloured. It wasn't a flat colour (as I've found with other dyes) but quite multi-tonal.
Having said in the past I'd never bother with a box dye again, I'm actually really pleased I took a risk with this!
Definitely the best box dye I've tried.

on 7/13/2014 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've changed my hair a lot over the years but I always try to find the colour I want in this brand! I think the plus point about this is that it only takes 10 minutes to develop so if your after a quick root touch up or a quick dye this is the product for you! I recently used golden medium brown and it's a nice colour but I find that my hair is so shiny and looks in good condition after I've dyed it! I also really like the perfect 10 conditioner you get in the box. It only needs to be left on for 2 minutes but it does wonders for your hair!!