Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10
Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10  Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.2

on 5/21/2017 2:54:00 AM

See my update below. i changed overall rating from 3 to 1.
After using Clairol's Nice n Easy for years I had resorted to using 2 boxes of the Clairol's Root Touch Up each time to cover my grays (ie whites) because it was so much more convenient to leave color in for 20 minutes than 50 minutes. I also preferred the thicker (more controllable) consistency of the Root Touch Up. The small amount you get in the Root Touch Up makes it relatively expensive, since I needed 2 boxes just to cover my roots.

Long intro, I know, but that is why I decided to try the Perfect 10. There were great reviews here, and they were half price at Ulta, so i bought 4 boxes in 2 shades: Lightest Cool Brown and Medium Ash Brown.

I tried the Lightest Cool Brown, using half the box, planning to cover just the roots. I took my time and was very careful about not missing any areas. It probably took 20-25 minutes to get all my roots, and since the instructions said you did not need longer processing time for stubborn grays (unlike with Nice n Easy and with Root Touch Up instructions), I set the timer only for 10 minutes.

I spent a really long time rinsing, but the color still bled on to white towel after conditioning and rinsing again. The conditioner, by the way, dramatically made my hair softer and moisturized/re-normalized.

I realized after the shower and especially after my hair dried that the roots on only half my head had been colored. The white roots on the other half of my head were blond. Sad, since my hair is between light and medium ash brown.

As usual, I waited 48 or 72 hours to wash my hair and the hair dye bled into my white towels again. I had used the kit's conditioner again too. In about a week, it was clear that the grays had not been covered very well at all on the 2nd half of my head.

I was really bummed because I was going to be away at conference and networking in New York for 2 weeks and my grays were showing on half of my head.

I called Clairol to ask if I could go ahead and use Root Touch Up for the 2nd half of head with the roots that did not get covered. I told them I thought it was because the dye had not been left on long enough.

The Clairol person said that the solution is meant to be used in 10 minutes and that because I had taken too long, the solution had weakened in the bottle after I had covered only half my head.

Does this make sense to any of you? (Update: 5/22/17: I just watched a youtube video of someone who said she only took 10 minutes to cover her grays, and the 2nd half of her hair stayed gray after the 10 minutes processing time, while the 1st half grays did get covered after the total 20 minutes time.)

The Clairol rep also had said I was not allowed to use the Root Touch Up because I needed to wait 4 weeks to use it. She said I could have called right when I colored because they would have advised recoloring right then. At that point, she said my only option was to go to a salon. And she took my address to send me a coupon for another box of any Clairol hair coloring box.

I waited a few more days and decided to ignore the Clairol rep because I couldn't go to NYC looking like I had gray hair. So at the 14 days time, I had my mom help me color my entire head with regular Nice n Easy Medium Ash Brown.

It covered everything and made my hair dry as straw, but as soon as I conditioned with the conditioner from Perfect 10, my hair felt conpletely soft and normal again. And the grays were all completely covered.

I am going to try Perfect 10 again and try to go a lot faster. And leave it on my entire head for 20 minutes. I'll report back with an update.

UPDATE 6/23/17:
I still had 2 boxes of Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown, so I decided to use one when my grays started to show. This time, I completely prepared to use the squeeze bottle and go quickly. I also started down the middle (after going around forehead of course), and then alternating sections to the right and then to the left. I completed in around 10 minutes as the Clairol rep had instructed me. Then I set timer for 30 minutes. My hair came out really dark, but I thought my roots were covered. I waited 48 hours then washed my hair (with sulfate-free shampoo) and now I see that the roots are a completely different color.

Final verdict. It might be fine if you have NO grays, but the package claims 100% gray coverage and within 10 minutes. Neither was true for me. I'll never buy this again and I wouldn't recommend it either. It retails for $14-15.

This is the best hair dye ever! It always makes my hair so glossy and healthy looking- in 10 minutes. I absolutely adore the newest shade #3 darkest brown- but its so hard to find!
Even worse, my usual online retailer hasnt any stock now of ANY of the shades and im really starting to panic that theyve discontinued this... Can anyone advise?!

on 1/7/2013 10:16:00 AM

Love this! Makes my hair glossy, no damage. Works in just 10 minutes. You can really smell the ammonia at first but then when you blend it with the peroxide, it smells really nice. They give you a TON so if you have longer hair, this would be good for you. Mine is almost to my shoulders and I had way too much leftover. I probably should have only used half the kit. Next time I'll know. The only bummer is a lot of stores in my area have this on clearance. I did a live chat with Clairol and they're not discontinuing it but fewer stores are going to carry it. I wonder what the stores are going to replace this with? I'm scooping it up wherever I find it.

Right now it is winter and I like being an ash brown in the winter, for some strange reason. I'm using 5A which is a medium ash brown. It doesn't pull too dark...pretty true to the shade on the box. It's also a green ash if you were wondering. I'll go red in the summer like I always do so I should pick up a couple boxes of red too.

on 12/10/2011 3:39:00 PM

This product did not cover my grey roots and didn't really change my colour much. I didn't really see the point of the comb either and the solution was was too watery and splattered down my back, up walls etc. I had high hopes for this and was disappointed. Shame I liked the colour on the box, hey ho back to the drawing board.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is the best OTC hair color I've used. Even my hairdresser-- who isn't happy that I color my own, but understands I'm both too cheap and too lazy to have it done professionally-- mentioned that my color looked much better after using this product.

The applicator, with a brush top, is great. I've been able to distribute the color more evenly. With the conventional applicators, I always miss spots, but with the Perfect 10 one I actually get color everywhere.

The 10-minute processing time is great, and this covers my fairly resistant grays. I've had issues with Garnier and L'Oreal colors not working on my grays (which is the reason I color!), so I'm totally happy on that front.

And, I also like the color. Shade #2, Darkest Brown, is just that. Not black, but the closest thing to black that is still brown, and without any red. It's definitely not black-- I have had black hair enough in my life to know!-- but as someone who constantly thinks my hair color is too light, I really like this color.

Full gray coverage, even application, and quick processing time: that all means I'm willing to spend a few dollars more. It's still cheaper than the salon. continued >>

on 9/25/2011 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Nah...I was hoping to achieve the color listed on the side of the packaging, but this really did nothing at all for my hair. The roots lifted a bit lighter, but the next day, I noticed they looked brassy and reddish. Not sure why this happens, but I guess that's what you get from trying to achieve multi-toned, beautiful color from a box. You get what you pay for :(

on 5/17/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been coloring my hair for years, going back and forth between Clairol Nice & Easy and L'Oreal Excellence Creme. I can honestly say, this is the most drying color I have EVER used. I think the thing I would be careful about, is you don't really realize the damage that has been done until a few weeks later - about the same time you realize how quickly the color is fading. The color looks good at first, but fades quickly - and with the damage this color causes, who can afford to be recoloring every three weeks? If you do try this color, just pay attention a few weeks later - if you notice your hair is dryer and the ends are suddenly damaged - yes, this hair color did it.

I coloured my hair with 5A Medium Brown (medium ash brown) 2 days ago. Wow, so happy with the results - it's better than a salon colour and I have been to 3 different salons in the past few months to try and remove the red, brassy tones from my hair since a hairdresser did a bleach bath and made it go orange!

The last hairdresser had to add a green tone to the dye to counteract the red; it was nice at first, but as it faded I could see a green tinge to it! So far with Perfect 10 I can't see the red at all in natural light - there is a slight bit when I am directly under and artificial light, but it is not the orange colour it was before.

NOTE: the dye will be DARKER than the colour stated on the box - i.e. dark brown will turn out black and medium brown will be dark brown. I am so glad I did medium, as I nearly went for the dark brown and would have ended up black!

I really hope this colour lasts - I'll let you know. My salon ones have only been lasting approx 2 weeks and then my hair has been fading back to the brassy colour; I've been told that that could be due to how porous (sp?) my hair is.

Well worth the money: I got three dyes for the price of two - worked out approx 5 for each - as opposed to 35 in a salon.

I

on 1/10/2011 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I used medium brown #5 last night, and I am quite pleased with the results. My hair was about 10% gray, and the coverage is perfect. Overall, the color is a lovely chocolate brown...very natural looking. I'm not sure why the bad reviews for this, but I think its great.

on 8/15/2010 5:34:00 PM

More expensive than the average drugstore haircolor for nothing special. It's nice that it's faster. The applicator was odd, so I just used my fingers.