Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

2.8

on 1/27/2012 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this in the ‘Medium Auburn’ shade, and I am quite pleased with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, which was add some reddish tones to my medium-brown hair. I picked this up on clearance at CVS for under $3, so I was quite nervous to use it in the first place, thinking it must be on clearance for a reason. I am pleased with the results and even went and purchased a back-up, since I’m assuming this is a discontinued shade.

I skipped the ‘patch test’ since I’m not usually sensitive to hair dyes, and fortunately I didn’t have any sensitivity or reaction to this product. I found this kit easy to use, and the whole process start-to-finish probably took 20 minutes. I was a bit nervous when I mixed the color crème & the developer because it turned an awful greenish-brown color, but after applied it turned a deep burgundy brown. I didn’t find the smell particularly pleasant, but it wasn’t overpowering either. It had kind of a fruity-chemical scent. There was more than enough product to saturate my shoulder-length hair. I used the comb ‘attachment’ and I found it made applying & distributing the product easy. I made sure to brush/comb through my curly/wavy hair before applying, anyways.

I watched the clock for 10 minutes, then hopped in the shower to rinse. It rinsed fairly easily, though I rinsed for a good 3 minutes, at least, just to insure all the product was out. My hair felt very dry & ‘straw like’ as I was rinsing, but I applied the included conditioner and that seemed to help. A week later, and my hair does not feel any drier or damaged in texture as a result of dying it.

I am satisfied with the color result. I just wanted a subtle color change and that is what I got. I would say my final shade is a light-medium reddish-brown, instead of the brighter reddish shade pictured on the box. The color is even, and it has only faded slightly in the past week since I colored it.

Bottom line, I thought the kit was easy to use and I liked the comb applicator. I am happy with the color result and it seemed to leave my hair in good condition. I realize that opinions are highly subjective depending on your hair’s color, condition, shade purchased, desired results, etc., etc., etc. , but for my medium length, medium brown hair, this gave me just the color boost I was looking for, with minimal effort.

on 10/2/2011 6:35:00 PM

Meh. It's very runny, stung and smelled really harsh. My mother helped me. I've colored my own hair before, but this is so messy, I could never with this. I bought it in medium auburn (auburn flash) and thought I'd get a nice Emma Stone dark red like the box. I have naturally medium to almost dark brown hair (Like Natalie Portman's color, I guess) and this just made my hair brown still, but with alarmingly red highlights. I feel it deposited more at the roots. Took awhile to wash out too. I love the conditioner and my hair.is softer and shinier than before. I haven't washed it yet with shampoo, so maybe it will look more natural. I have a feeling this is gonna fade fast though. It wasn't enough of a change to my natural haircolor. I feel like I kinda wasted my time and money.

on 1/14/2011 10:42:00 PM

I used light chocolate brown to cover light blonde hair. I know it isnt recommended to use it this way but is worked for me but it did fade after a couple weeks. I needed 2 boxes as well I have thick shoulder length hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this haircolor so far. I'm a little worried about fading though, since a lot of reviews state that this color fades very quickly. I used light golden brown over blonde hair. I left it in for about 12 minutes, and the color took very well. It came out a medium reddish-brown, not a golden brown for me. There were places where my hair was very dry and damaged (the ends), and the color didn't take as much, so I dyed it again with the same color a few days later and left it on for 15 minutes. It went a little darker, but still looks natural and shiny. I used to use Preference in various golden shades, but got tired of the color always going way too dark (almost black), then taking about 2-3 weeks to fade to a more acceptable color.The formula doesn't smell very strongly and doesn't burn my scalp the way preference always did. I also really like the consistency of the formula. It's like a thin shampoo, but lathers and blends very easily and doesn't drip. Easier to blend than preference -- it's more like excellence cream. Depending on how my hair looks in a couple of weeks, I would use this again. UPDATE: I decided I didn't like how red this came out after all. It's very very red, not at all like the color on the box. This color may as well have been called "brownish-red."

I fell for the marketing/packaging and purchased the Light Ash Blonde. The color on the box was so beautiful, but oh my it turned my dark blonde hair orange at the roots and didn't even color the rest of my hair! I am still a brassy mess after applying a brass banisher and using purple shampoo for several weeks. I will not buy this product again, it is awful!

on 4/17/2009 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I purchased this in Swift Chocolate (Medium Ash Brown) because I wanted to go back to my natural color. I left it on for about 12 minutes and I noticed that my roots, that were extremely ashy prior to coloring, pulled a subtle red tint. I thought I hadn't left it on long enough or that the color was slightly lighter than my roots, but the rest of my hair looks great. The root "red" isn't very noticeable, but I can see it in certain lighting. Overall, I am pleased with the color, but I'm disappointed that my hair feels dry and looks dull. I was hoping for the glossy color the product promised. UPDATE: The color has faded considerably within three weeks, my blonde highlights are peeking through, and my hair still looks and feels coarse and dry. I will not repurchase.

So today I tried the "Perfect 10" in 5A, medium ash brown. I love dying my hair and have been engaging in this home activity for almost 15 years ... yikes that's along time. Anyways my review:
The packaging/system:
> Good quality gloves (bonus)
> Love that there is an easy cap to put on the bottle to mix the product up.
> Didn't like the comb feature. Too messy for my short hair.
> I have short thick hair and used the whole bottle. If (and when) my hair is longer (I'm growing it out), definitely would need to buy two to get full coverage.

The colouring product:
> The product mixed nicely into a good consistency, not to thick or too runny.
> It smelled like hair dye... what can I say... it stinks.
> I'm skeptical of only leaving it on for 10 minutes, therefore i gave it 15 minutes. By 15 minutes my scalp felt warm and a little burny.

Rinse/Conditioner:
> Rinsed out easily, but my hair felt very dry/straw-like, until I applied the conditioner.
>The conditioner felt awesome!! Smelled fantastic, like coconuts....mmmmm
> I don't see how it gives you 6 applications of conditioner. I LOVE conditioner, therefore applied half the tube and allowed it 15 minutes to soak in.

Results:
> Excellent shade of medium ash brown. No redness/brassiness.
> My hair feels great, as does my scalp.
> Colour delivered what was promised. It has been only 12 hours since i dyed my hair, after a few washes I'll update this review.

I gave the product and packaging 4 because it did take longer then 10 minutes and the comb sucked.

DAY 1: So I have washed my hair and I have noticed that the colour is BLOTCHY!!! Yikes!!! I have short hair so it is hard to conceal. I'm going to wait a week and then probably re-dye... and not with this product!

Day 5: Waiting patiently for a few more days before I colour over this horrific excuse for hairdye. My hair colour is blotchy and now brassy at the roots. **nice**

on 12/7/2008 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been a bottle redhead for over a year now, and love it, but I felt like I wanted to go back to my "roots" for a while. I don't have the money for salon upkeep, and my hair was starting to look funny with odd highlights and dark roots, red glow, etc. So, I went looking for something else last night, and saw Clairol Nice N Easy Perfect Ten Hair Color, Medium Ash Brown #5A. This claimed to remove or prevent red tones, so that sounded perfect. It was also very close to my natural color. I hate waiting for my hair to color at home, so this only taking 10 minutes sounded great to me. A little over an hour ago, I used it. It has the usual strong odor of hair coloring while you're using it, but no worse than most I've used. I liked the comb applicator. It helped me get right down to the roots and the tricky places around my hairline and ears. After using it, I applied the rest with my fingers making sure to work it all through. I did get some drips on the floor. I usually don't have any problem with dripping. The product also stings your skin if it gets on it, and my scalp is still a little sting-y even though I rinsed very thoroughly. Another gripe is, there was barely enough product in the bottle to cover my shoulder length hair. Finally, it was a little more money than I usually spend for home coloring. Those reasons are why I took off a point. But otherwise, I'm satisfied. After 10 minutes, I rinsed it out well, and used the conditioner, which is like all the other after-color conditioners I've used. I then towel dried and applied a styling product, and blow dried most of the way. Well, the color is just gorgeous! This is my natural color, and it looks just like the picture on the box. There is no red tint at all. I don't smell that strong after color smell either. My DH thought this color was beautiful. My hair doesn't feel dry. So, I will see how it does in the coming weeks. But for now, I can say I'm happy with the results.

I liked this hair color. I didn't really care for the comb applicator so I just used the typical root applicator that they include instead. I'm usually disappointed in hair color. I have very long brown hair and I've been dying it since I was very young, 13 or so, so I have a solid 17 year history with hair color.

Typically when I color my hair any shade of medium brown it tends to color darker than it's suppose to be, almost black 90% of the time..or the roots are lighter and the ends darker. This color actually did what it was suppose to do. I used the medium brown and I got a nice medium brown color.

The conditioner is also very nice it works well and smells great and you get a LARGE tube of it to last you one treatment for 6 weeks. I had no problem with the product other than the comb applicator. It just seems too mess to use unless you want hair color splattered on your walls and sink.

on 7/9/2008 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My hair is naturally auburn, but I color about every 6 weeks to cover grays, and because I like to change my color a bit during the year. I bought this on a whim, usually I use Garnier Nutrisse light auburn, or L'Oreal Preference. I picked this up in 6R, light auburn. Application was quick and easy using the comb applicator. I didn't have any problems with dripping, but my hair is quite short. I was surprised by the amount of product, though. I have a very short pixie cut, and I had just barely enough to cover my entire head. If my hair were any longer I would have run out of product... which I found kind of ridiculous. If your hair is at ALL thick or very lengthy, you will need at LEAST 2 boxes. Also, this product STAINS. Fortunately I read the reviews before I used it, so I did apply lotion around my hairline & ears, and made sure to quickly wipe any spills with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol... but I forgot my hands after I removed the gloves, so today I've got a purple stain on one of my palms. The product smelled pretty strong and actually made my eyes water for the first couple of minutes. I did notice some scalp stinging. Waited 10 minutes, rinsed, and applied the conditioner - which seemed to hydrate well and add lots of shine, also smelled really nice. The color took well and I didn't have any odd blotches or light roots, and my grays are sufficiently covered. Overall I'm pleased for a 10-minute job. The only things I disliked were a lack of selection in reds, and the fact that this version of light auburn is VERY red compared to other OTC colors. I would call it closer to red penny rather than light auburn, it is verrrrrrrryyy red. I did notice some color washout this morning in the shower, so I expect it won't stay bright for long. Overall, a decent color with lots of shine for a quick OTC job. ETA: The second time I colored with this using the light auburn, it came out a true, fire-engine red and I actually had to use Colorfix to tone it down somewhat and take the "edge" off. I did notice they have 2 other red options now available.