Dior Shimmer Powder 002 Amber Diamond, Spring 08 [DISCONTINUED]

Dior Shimmer Powder 002 Amber Diamond, Spring 08 [DISCONTINUED]
Shimmer Powder 002 Amber Diamond, Spring 08 [DISCONTINUED]Shimmer Powder 002 Amber Diamond, Spring 08 [DISCONTINUED]Shimmer Powder 002 Amber Diamond, Spring 08 [DISCONTINUED]

4.6

mica, talc, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, zea mays (corn) starch, dimethicone, dipentaerythrityl hexahtdroxystearate/hexastearate/hexarosinate, isopropyl isostearate, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, sorbitan stearate, magnesium aluminum silicate, butylene glycol, silica dimethyl silylate, aqua (water), nylon-12, polyacrylamide, methylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid, c13-14 isoparaffin, xanthan gum, laureth-7. [ /-: silica, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77491 CI 77499 CI 77492 (iron oxides), CI 77007 (ultramarines) CI 19140 (yellow 5), CI 77742 (manganese violet) CI 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), CI 75470 (carmine), CI 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), CI 77288 (chromium oxide greens)].

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have been eyeing this up for weeks but couldn't bring myself to buy it...it's so expensive online (none of my nearby Dior counters have it at the moment, not sure if it's LE or not) and despite the enthusiastic reviews on here it is, ultimately, 'just' a bronzy/cream highlighter powder. I don't even dig highlighters too much - I like matte bronzers and blushers with a sheen and not too much shimmer. But in the end I caved and spent about 34 ($51 USD) ordering it from some site.
And I am SO GLAD that I did!! I opened the package and found it to be a lovely glossy blue compact with the Dior logo in white, that comes with a little dust bag too. Very nice. Opened it up and was definitely not wowed, it looks the same as all the pics on line and I just thought, 'The colours are not going to show up on my medium/tan skin, it will just look like shimmery powder and I'm going to hate it.' I tried it anyway...as you would spending that amount, I swept a small amount gently with a large MAC blush brush over my cheeks, on which I was already wearing a light foundation, a touch of coral blush and Nars Laguna as a contour. Looking in the mirror I thought it hadn't really done much, hardly showed, what a waste of money...then I stepped back and looked at my face carefully from about 2 ft away from the mirror. Wow! Ok this is the crappiest review ever as I don't know how to explain what it did...but somehow it just made my face look incredibly beautiful?! It sort of blended all the colours I was already wearing together, without making them look blended and flat..somehow making them look multidimensional which made my face look fuller and very, very smooth...it did not impart any shimmer at all so to speak of, unless you look up really really close in the mirror, it just made my skin glow but like no powder I've ever tried before. There was no sheen, no glitter just a glow as if my face had been lit from within! This sounds like a bad poem now ha ha!! but that's seriously what I thought. I only used the tiniest dusting and somehow it made my already nice, expensive and carefully applied products look 100x better than they did. I really can't explain anymore how lovely it made my skin look, but I went downstairs and my mum glanced up and said 'Oh, your skin looks lovely!' (she knows nothing about make up, despairs at the amount I spend and thinks all my great variety of blushes look exactly the same on - what a philistine lol). Anyway I've rambled enough, and said nothing about the colours or texture (bronze, champagne, creamy, taupe and very finely milled with a disarming lack of shimmer for a 'shimmer powder') but seriously - this is one well made high end finishing powder. It makes you glow without looking like you've applied something else. This product is flawless in my opinion and makes me look flawless. Give it a go if you can get hold of one.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

oh Amber Diamond,how i love thee! after trying MAC Soft & Gentle MSF,BB Copper Diamond shimmerbrick,cream & liquid highlighters.. i love this the best. after experimenting with this for more than a month, this is def. my HG highlighter atm. man, this stuff made me GLOW. =)

Pros: love this stuff because it's glowy, highlights your cheekbones awesomely,not OTT shimmer like *cough* BB shimmerbrick *cough*
good staying power & not as fragile as MAC MSF. classy packaging & you get lots of products in the compact (10g).. the powder is very finely milled & def. very blendable. the colors work wonderfully together.
one more thing is that the colors are not flat,they have more dimension to it not like other highlighters i have tried.

Cons: the price! expensive imo but worth it.. wish it's cheaper tho..

Colors: there are 5 stripes in Amber Diamond. starting from the left is shimmery ivory (like NARS Albatross), champagne (like MAC Soft & Gentle), tan, bronze & peach. love all the colors! swirled together,it produce a lovely gold w/ champagne or bronze tones highlight hue. *swoon*

Packaging: in a classy midnight blue rectangle compact with 'Dior' written in front of it. i don't think this is safe to bring for travelling tho coz it's fragile..

i wear this very often as it suits my complexion very well. not OTT yet you can see it's glowing naturally on the face. this is a staple in my m/u collec. this is awesome to pair with any blushes & suits all kinds of looks.now, i'll hunt for the Dior Copper Diamond...

Repurchase: yep! ♥

Reference: NC35/40. tan skin w/ yellow or golden tones. dark brown eyes & hair. dry & sensitive skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

so I jumped on the band wagon and bought this product it was my first Dior product the most expensive thing I had bought other than one of my MAC brushes and it is totally worth it. I have a couple of cheaper similar shimmer highlighter products like the superdrug ME ME ME shimmy shimmers and a Sleek one, both are ok but they gave shimmer and colour in a slightly frosty glittery MSF way that i think makes you look a bit burnt well at least to me it does. this product was completely different. it is smoother and buttery soft and has a gorgeous expensive soft golden bronze candlelit glow. its more a sheen than shimmer which is what sets it apart from other products i have tried, to me its worth the money not just because it's a fantastic product but its also beautiful to look at and makes me happy just to own it - which is a bit sad i know but a girls makeup is kind of like an accessory in a way so I do make sense I think?? my tip - dont buy 3 or 4 cheap substitues that you will discard and not adore - buy 1 that you will love and want to use everyday

when applied with a brush it is a bit sheer still lovely and subtle but i have actually applied this with my fingers as well by sweeping across the colors and sweeping over top of cheek bones then blending out. this gives me a more intense almost liquid/ cream finish I tried this method as this was how i initially tested the product in Boots as there was no SA to provide a brush or help me, give it ago might work for you too

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this so much! It is an unbelievably creamy, soft, just beautiful powder highlighter. I'm an NC20-25 in the fall/winter, & this suits me then, or in the summer when I'm at my most tan (NC 30-35) because it has several varying shades. The *color* of this may be able to be duped with cheap imitations such as Physician's Formula shimmer strips, (which many say are a dupe of this) but that's it. I own both the PF & the Dior. The texture, beauty, subtlety, staying power, and finely-milled, silky-soft luxury of this Dior masterpiece cannot be duplicated. Neither can the happy feeling it gives me just to take out the pretty compact : ) Can u tell I adore this? I never feel nearly as fabulous when I take out my PF Waikiki strip, I have to say. And isn't that feeling part of the thrill of using HE makeup? That, and the amazing quality of course! Also, the PF shimmer strips are much, much frostier than the Amber Diamond. This is hard to pick up in pics, where they look very similar, but in real life, especially in the sunlight, the Dior is much more subtle than the PF, which looks like a glitter bomb exploded on ur face, and ends up all over ur face throughout the day. This gives you the most gorgeous sheen and luminousity when applied to your cheekbones, or anywhere else u like to highlight, and stays in the place u applied it throughout the day. It's not glittery, it just lights up your whole face and gives your makeup that finishing touch, that makes u look and feel amazing. It also doubles as an eyeshadow, and comes with 10 grams of product, which is about twice the size of your average highlighter. And did I mention the packaging? I still store mine in the adorable little velvet pouch it came in, I can't bring myself to throw it out lol, but the navy compact with CD on the front is very sturdy, luxurious, and elegant, with a large mirror that always comes in handy. This will work as a highlight on every skintone. Yes it's expensive @ $44, but I don't regret this fabulous splurge for a second! If u want a designer imposter, by all means, the PF is a pretty highlighter, although, NOT a dupe. But if u want perfection in powder form, go for the Dior. (I know some will vote this review unhelpful becuz i dared to say the HE product is better than the DS "dupe", but oh well, it's true!! LOL)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Every makeup fanatic should have this in their bag of makeup tricks. This gives an instant pick me up for the skin. This is subtle enough for all seasons and great not only for the face but shoulders and what a great way to enhance the cleavage :) The color in the pan almost shouts bronzer but this isn't one. This is clearly a light reflecting highlight that creates a lit from within glow. This is a live saver for when you might be feeling under the weather or have a cold. Swipe this on and Bam, you got life back into your skin. I use this as my final step in makeup application. I swirl my ecotools powder brush around all the colors and dust it on the areas that need a little more life. It looks very shimmery in the pan, but because it's so finely milled, you don't really see all that glitz on the skin. This highlight is expensive at $44.00 but it is Dior and it comes with a pretty velvet pouch and looks very nice on a vanity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I love this highlighter! Its so finely milled and the shimmer isn't OTT. Its just awesome glowy, goodness. On my NC45 skin, this looks perfect on my cheekbones, temples, the bridge of my nose and my chin. I look pretty, glowy and with an amazing sheen to my skin, not like a glitterbomb exploded all over my face. This is one of my favorite beauty products and i wholeheartedly recommend.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

HG item for me. This product is so versatile for my fair (sometimes fair-medium depending on the shade of my foundation and whether I have drowned myself in St Tropez bronzing mousse) skin. I use the two lightest colours (the white and beige/gold) with a MAC 168 at the very top of my cheekbones. The two colours together give me the perfect glowy, make-up-but-not-make-up look. For extremely pale people, the shimmer and flecks of glitter may show up on skin but I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing if you use a light hand.
The colours also work amazingly as eyeshadows. All mixed together or each colour separately, and you can easily get really beautiful eye make-up. If I'm travelling, I sometimes just pack this product and a dark matte brown for the crease. Easy-peasy.
In the summer time, I love using the darker shades towards the end of the powder just at the top of the hollows of my cheekbones where I've contoured. The gold tones really give a sunkissed look to my fair skin, without making me look like I've just stepped out of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, or worse, Jersey Shore*.
All in all, this is a great product. Sure, it's a little on the pricy side (particularly in Australia, where I live) but definitely worth it.

*no offence meant to Jersey Shore peeps, I love you in all your orange glory.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooh, look at that glow! This highlighter has quite a reputation, I've seen it be called one of the best highlighters over and over again, some arguing it may be #1. I had to try it after all the positive reviews! I choose Amber Diamond over Rose Diamond as warmer colors compliment my skintone (NC) better.

When you glide your finger across the beautiful design, you can see the beautiful blend of colors working together to produce an unreal glow. It's not a bundle of crazy sparkles or a very slight sheen that is almost invisible to the eye till the right lighting hits your face. It's quite dimensional and it has a depth that is hard to describe. The pearl on the one side of the product combines with the bronze-orange color on the opposite side to make great results. Now, this amazing glow was easy to produce from me swatching it...

But applying it proved to be a little difficult! I tried my Sonia Kashuk highlight brush (her stippling blush), a blush brush, this travel powder brush I got from Sephora long ago that I know picks up product really well, all these different ways and yet that beautiful glow wasn't transfering to my face. I had a nice highlight but it wasn't anything special. The swatch made my jaw drop, why such mediorce results? Two things helped me apply it more efficiently. A fan brush has proved to be my best tool for highlighting, I use the one from ELF. Also I don't know if my Amber Diamond might be quite faulty, but if I rub the top layer quite a bit, the fan brush picks up the product much easier. I know with blushes the top layer can 'harden' from oils transfering from the brush to the blush, so maybe the same happened with my highlighter? Maybe mine is faulty in some way, because I haven't seen this to be a big issues for anyone else...

But now that applying it is much easier for me, I love it. As I've gotten a darker tan, I'm really starting to appreciate it a lot more. I think NARS albatross highlighter really compliments my skintone when I'm NC15, but Amber Diamond is great when I'm darker (although I'd love to be reunited with Albatross again to see how it would look on me now...darn it for breaking :( Oh well)
The glow will remain on my face for hours, which is great! Nothing is more disappointing than a highlight fading really fast, I want to glow all day - not for just an hour or two! I love pairing this with bronzer, coral blush, and warmer-toned eye colors. For cooler-toned looks, I tend to use my Boots High Lights Illuminating Lotion as it compliments better with it's pink undertoned.

'Pricey' doesn't even cut it - it's expensive. Simple as that. But you get a lot of product for that amount of money, I can't see me running out of this at all any time soon! The packaging is bulky but it doesn't feel too weighty and feels well made. I've gotten some wonky packaging for expensive products, but this fits the luxurious brand quite well. It wouldn't hurt to be a little slimmer...but I won't argue it too much! :)

I gave this a 4, but really I'd give it a 4.5! Is it the best...I'm not sure. Can't really deem it the best. Now, is it ONE of the best or better quality highlighters on the market? Yes :) Check it out!

I had no idea what the hype was about. I mean, its just a highlighter. Sheesh. But when I finally got the chance to swatch this in sephora, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen.
This makes my other highlighters, ie. Smashbox and Benefit high beam, cower in shame. I'm actually quite upset it took me this long to find it, wasting my money on other products.
I am nw20-25 for reference and it is perfect for cool tones as well as warm. I use this as an eyeshadow on occasion as well. It worth every penny for product and packaging.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not unique. I found a few dupe's for this one in one day of shopping. I have tested it and worn it, but it's not worth the $44 that we pay. It has nice packaging, but it's a basic highlighter. You can buy Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips in either Malibu or Miami. Bobbi Brown makes a Shimmer Brick in Beige that is another dupe. The price of the B.B. is only $4 less than the Dior, but the P.F. is only $12. It also doubles as eyeshadow. The powders are made in Italy, have a great quality, and they last all day. I took into account the shade match, texture, lasting power, and availability.
Victoria's Secret highlighter powder in White Hot is good for fair or light skin, but it is limited so get it asap.