Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.0

Not tested on animals

on 1/19/2008 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is Paulas newst book. I have read her past books, and also having the 6th edition so I just had to order this. The overall review is that this one is better then the past. The idea is the same, also the ratings and the criterias. Whats new in this version is that se gives a "At-a-Glaze" about every brand features in the book, she writes strenghts and weaknesses, and that gives a better balance. In the past version she was a bit hard, but this makes it more reader friendly. Reviews has also changed, on the basis of new better products, new research or companies has changed the product. Some new brands are featured and some are gone.
The best of summary at the end is also shorter, and eatch category is split in half, like fore example products under $15 or product with/without spf. At the end of the Best of list she features a list of the companies with most Paulas pick. Clinique has the most, M.A.C. second, Estee Lauder, Neutrogena, Presciptives... That means that 4 of 5 companies are Estee Lauder companies, that means that Estee Lauder is a top choice for buying top cosmetica!

on 1/30/2009 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I never bought this book, so what....lol. But I did spend some time reading it at the bookstore because I didn't want to pony up the cash. All I really have to say is she gives HER opinions, and really who is she? Would you take just MY opinion about a product and buy it because what I think? No, you wouldn't! We don't need her or her stinkin reviews, we have MUA. MUA gives up COLLECTIVE reviews from many different people. I mean, if 2,000 people have tried something and even 70% like it, isn't there a much better chance of you liking it, then just based on the opinion of Paula. Anyways you know what they say about opinions, but I won't go there!

on 2/1/2009 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This book is saving me a fortune...I'll explain. I'm an over 40 woman with very dry skin, who woke up one morning and realized I was spending a fortune using 3 HE moisturizers twice a day and STILL had dry skin, so I gave Paula's ratings a try. After reviewing several product lines, I have found a new routine with lots less products and my dry skin is 1000 times improved! So yes, now I am consulting her book religiously and plan to subscribe to Beautypedia. Also, her reviews have influenced me to shop a highly accessible and reasonably priced line and I am tickled pink with the results.
As for the bad reviews of this book and Paula in general, consider these facts : 1) So what if she sells her own line? She still reviews other lines and gives her recommendations in all price levels, and if reviews of her line offend you simply bypass them for the others.
2) Her expertise comes from years in the industry, developing her own products and researching those sold by others so I do consider her an expert and unbiased. 3) Many leading and highly respected dermatologists also have their own line, as do makeup artists and others who are considered "experts." Her opinion is just as valid as theirs if not more so. 4) Even with this experience, her opinion is just that, an opinion. If she gives a product a negative review and it works for you, why wouldn't you keep using it? Likewise, if she gives a product a positive review and it doesn't work for you, just stop using it. That doesn't make all her reviews invalid. I'm no expert, but I do know everyone's skin is different. I check this book, Allure Best of Beauty AND Makeup Alley for opinions. And I save $ that way...
In summation, I found these reviews to be informative, helpful, unbiased, and well researched, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to get the most value for their $$ while looking their best.

I've purchased just about all of Paula's Choice books & used to live by them even when most, more than most, of her recommendations left me disappointed after trying/purchasing the one's she "deemed" worthy beyond a doubt. I have since been "educated," and no longer read, refer, use, nor recommend these books (personal preference/experience). I'm sure many have benefited from Paula's books & reviews, and if it works for the individual (which is in my experience exactly what it's all about anyway), then great! Just didn't turn out that way for me personally. I've saved so much TIME and MONEY since joining this site that I don't feel the need to purchase anymore books like these. I've had more success using this site when trying/purchasing products than any book I've ever read. Glad I found this site! And my "wallet" is a "happy-camper," too! ;-))

on 3/30/2009 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is a review of Paula and her CosmeticCop garbage. She is not a scientist. I am a scientist. She can cite as many articles as she wants but there are personal experiences of people who can say without reservation that the ingredients she says are great are HORRIBLE and ingredients she says are bad are EXCELLENT. My two examples are Mineral Oil and Lavender Oil.

Mineral Oil is what is left in the sand particles after an oil spill and can't be removed without an infusion of Rapeseed oil to dissolve it. It makes a barrier on the skin that prevents the skin from breathing - expelling toxins through sweat (water). This may not cause an instant reaction for everyone, just the very sensitive like me, but WILL CAUSE LONG-TERM DAMAGE TO EVERYONE. Mineral Oil does not soak into skin. I can cite peer reviewed papers on attempts to force Mineral Oil into skin and it would not go. It is a crude oil distillate and Paula - I'm going to have to judge this as voluntarily airheaded - says that it's just as natural as any other oil because it used to be organic matter before it was buried in the ground. Okay, from the perspective of evolution, it was buried away from human reach and humans evolved long after this stuff was buried far from where a human couldn't get to it without a high powered drill! So, come on, that is truly the most idiotic logic. I eliminated petroleum products from my life when I was 15. I'm 39 now and I look 26 (I can provide photos and numerous testimonials from 23 year old guys who thought I was their age when they hit on me). That is the result of skin that has been allowed to breathe and eliminate toxins. The American Academy of Dermatology, although they do not know what causes Perioral Dermatitis advises to avoid petroleum products (paraffin, petrolatum). The AAD doesn't know everything but they will report what they have recognised as triggers to skin disorders. Unlike Paula they can admit they don't know everything.

Lavender hydrosol is in my Holy Grail cleansing milk and moisturiser and in small amounts Lavender Oil. What does she have against Lavender? This is just a case of a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than being just flat-out ignorant.

I'm not even going to address her slamming other products whilst touting her own. The woman makes me ill. She offends me as a scientist.

on 2/10/2017 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I loved this book when it first came out - but now Paula Begoun has her own product line and this seems more biased.