Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.8

Not tested on animals

This is like Consumer Reports for makeup. It will save you a ton of money and you can get the best products in every category. She is not pushing her own brand; I don't think people who say that really read the book. I now go to her website frequently and have not been disappointed yet.

I have found Paula's information to be extremely helpful. I think she really knows what she is talking about, especially with skincare, and I think my skin looks better because of it!
I am 49 and still get compliments on my complexion. 'Nuff said!

I also recently started using her products and I think they work very well.

Two big thubs up! I almost never do go to the cosmetics counter without her. I even have her app on my phone.

As far as rating her own products "Paula's pick"- I think it makes total sense. Why would she make a product that she didn't think was good?

on 3/30/2009 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This has been on my desk at virtually every job I've had, starting with the 2nd version. (I'm a beauty copywriter.) The glossary is invaluable...a listing of gazillions of cosmetic ingredients...what they are, what they do, good, bad or indifferent. I'm a big fan of the reviews as well - and like most people here - do not agree with all of them. The fact that I may hate products she touts, or love products that get a frownie-face does not make Paula Begoun a moron or liar, which seems to be the conclusion drawn by a few reviewers. These are simply her opinions...and opinions can differ wildly as evidenced by our own MakeUpAlley reviews! Common sense tells you different people will have different results with a certain foundation or cleanser. She has gushed over a few mascaras that I've loathed. But there have been far more hits than misses with her reviews, at least for me. I use this book as a guide...not a Bible. I'm sorry there will be no 8th edition, although at this point it would probably be too heavy to lift, lol.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I just saw Paula B on TV and I have to say, as I have always said, she does not look great. Her skin always looked sallow to me, and this time around, she looked shiney and out of date. Her makeup was not nice either - really old frankly. I used to like her a long time ago and thought she was onto something and regularly consulted her books and website. But when she came out with her own product line, it turned me off completely. How can she be expected to be objective when she has her own line??? So to me, her criticism to be is too prone to be suspected of self-servicing motives, and hence, I simply ignore her now. But I will say this - I have tried a lot of products that she slams or praises, and I cannot agree with a good number of her thoughts. I do believe that a lot of the expensive creams she claims do nothing actually work, because when I stop using them, my face gets the dehydration lines back and frankly, I just don't look as good. I don't for one minute believe that the expensive lines are all out there to scam us, but she is our saviour. I don't like false prophets, and we are being inundated with them right now. I have said it before and I will say it again: Paula, if you want to be taken seriously as a critic, then drop your line and just be a critic. Then maybe I would be enticed to buy your book again.