Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

2.7

Not tested on animals

on 6/16/2009 1:16:00 PM

I loved reading about the vast amount of cosmetic products out there, but other than that I didn't find this book that helpful. Many of her reviews were based solely on irritants and chemicals that many are already aware of, as she states at the beginning of the book. I would much rather refer to MUA :)

P.S. This was bugging me.. how is she supposed to rate her own brand fairly?

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

While her book is handy in telling you which products are worth trying, and which ones are a waste of your money, I would never buy one of her "Paula's Picks" without visiting MakeupAlley first. So many of her recommended products do not perform well on consumers, as I verified on this site. Some she claims are gentle are highly irritating...others she hates people generally love!

Also, if you are a fan of her book, be aware that she eschews ALL bar cleansers indiscriminately, which makes no sense. Just read all the raves about Dove and Olay bar cleansers on this site, and you'll realize that her claim that "all bar cleansers are drying" is false! She seems to have overlooked the glaring research implicating Sulfates (SLS and SLES) with irritation, acne, eczema, allergies, and other problematic skin conditions. Me for example. I found out recently that I am highly allergic to sulfates. As sulfates are found in over 90% of cleansers, but in very few of the bar cleansers, avoiding them obviously means choosing Dove beauty bar over many of her recommended favorites.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Disappointing compared to her earlier books. Although her opinions on ingredients have changed over the years, this latest book seems a bit abridged compared to the 6th edition. I was a bit surprised that she omitted so many lines this time around, and, as far as I saw, didn't include many new ones.
I was also surprised she rated her own products this time around (could she possibly think any of her own products were less than wonderful?) and preferred the earlier version where she described her products but left them unrated.
Overall, this felt like more of an advertisement of her Beautypedia website, which has many more lines reviewed.

I have been reading these since the first was published in 1990 (1989/1991?), and, pre-internet days, they were extremely useful, but I think the wealth of information and opinions on the web has made them somewhat obsolete.