Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.2

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I agree with some of the other reviewers that rated this book low. I feel that Paula Begoun really is nothing more than a department store makeup counter person. Now don't get me wrong, as I think most of these people are wonderful, and I personally have been offered great advice from them. In addition, these workers are not writing books, and having consumers believe they know everything! Aside from that, these people are in sales and that is what they do: sell their products. Paula Begoun did study science, but does not have a degree. She left university to become a makeup artist. She is the CEO of Paula's Choice Skin Products. In reality, she is just someone that is trying to promote her products. In one of her previous books all of her products received a "Paula's PIck" (Which means they are of the highest standards). Lets get real, a lot of her products contain silicones, which aren't the greatest for your skin. I've tried many of her products, facial wash (burns your eyes), moisturizers (didn't moisturize), serums (full of silicones), etc. I really wasn't impressed with any of her products. The products that she says are great is this book, usually aren't and vice versa. Let's face it everyone's skin is unique. The best product advice is usually from makeup rating sites, like MakeupAlley of course and trial and error.

on 3/7/2011 2:36:00 PM

My only complaint with edition is that Paula has given all of her products a Paula's Pick designation.
Her previous books listed her products but did not rate them which seems like a better choice.

on 6/16/2009 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am amazed at the number of people who reviewed this book, yet have never even read it, much less purchased it. I have purchased, read, re-read and continue to reference her books before making a new make-up or skin care purchase. Does it mean I take her word as Gospel? No. However, before Paula came on the market with her reviews, keep in mind there were very few (if any) broad-spectrum sunscreens, very few (if any) products for sensitive skin, and very few (if any) products that contained anti-oxidants in stable packaging. Before she came on the scene, menthol, alcohol, heavy fragrance and other irritants were staples in many skin care products. Before she came on the scene, we would judge the quality of a product by the price, the name, and the advertising, thinking it would work miracles simply because it was an expensive product from an expensive department store. Now, largely due to the pressure her reviews have put on these companies, more and more high-quality products are there for reasonable prices. In short, she holds these companies accountable in a market where false advertising largely goes unchecked. The ingredient glossary alone is worth the price of the book. Yes, sometimes I do not agree with her: some picks for her are not picks for me, and vice versa. By and large, however, she is dead on target, if not at least in the ballpark. Since I am over 40, my skin care needs change with the tides it seems, and what I use in the fall/winter, will not be the same things I use in the spring/summer. I take into account the reviews from make-up alley, my esthetician, my hair stylist, my sisters, my dear husband...but I will not make a purchase without consulting this book. She has been in this business for many, many years. As far as recommending her own products is concerned, I would expect her to do that. I would expect that all of the knowledge she has gained over the years would translate into state-of-the-art products with her name on them. Look at the ingredient list and price of her Super Antioxidant Concentrate, for example...then, look at the ingredient list and price of another well-known company's "anti-aging" serum. Her formula will most likely be superior; it will most definitely be cheaper. To not give her any credit for objectivity is narrow-minded and unfair. To not at least read this book cover to cover before forming an opinion is uneducated and ignorant. But hey...it's your money and your skin.

on 3/30/2009 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I loved Paula's books growing up! I even subscribed to her newsletter. When I was just starting to wear make-up and think about skin care her books made me a more educated consumer. She is the person who inspired me to start reading ingredient lists and forever changed my conception of expensive=quality.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Paula Who?MAKEUPALLEY ROX :P
lol

I found paula's book very helpful...no its not the catch all to end all and this website and personal experience are also very valuable tools.

In her book and on her website she mentions that if something works for you and gets a bad rating then great keep using it and go for it...she says these are her personal opinions from her research and testing. She has lots of people who work for her testing products so its not just her.

Everyones skin is different. Some tolerate things that others dont. I have used products i thought were amazing and read paulas review that was bad...if this product works for me im not gonna stop using it. However on some products that ive considered that paula found harmful im not going to try bc my skin is so sensitive id rather stay away.

Its just a reference. Not all references agree. You can find research to support mineral oil is good and mineral oil is bad. It has to be up to you in the end.

All and all this is a good reference to learn about skincare and makeup. She DOES preach the necessity of sunscreen over and over and over! in fact she rates alot of makeups...like Revlon Colorstay neutral because its a good makeup but she doesnt like the fact that it has low suncreen!

As for her product line ive been using it for a few weeks and i love it! the redness of my skin has gone down alot!!!!

on 1/30/2009 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

I gave up on her years ago but did leaf through this at the library. I found too many products she praised that I just hated and vice versa. I also think she ruins her credibility by praising her own products, which I found average at best and worthless at their very worst. MUA is by far more reliable.

not impressed! she says products are worthless, when alot of people have had good results from these products. She also seems to recommend alot of products with silicone in, which i have found is a TERRIBLE irritant and causes spots and blocked pores!

on 5/27/2008 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I am a subscriber of Beautypedia and for the most part agree with Annie B's review below. I use the website to get an idea about a product- that is for which skin type a particular foundation or moisturizer is best for; and knowing about ingredients which may cause breakouts for blemish-prone skin or if a powder is best for oily or dry skin, etc. Using this site AND the MUA site has helped me to save money and be much happier with the products I purchase. I, too, don't like that Paula rates her own products. I do think it is questionable as far as her ability to be objective is concerned. After all, she does use peer-reviewed scientific articles and data in her research about effective skin care. Though, obviously she isn't a scientist, I have and do rely on her ability to relate this info. to me as a consumer and that does mean trying one's best to be objective. It is why Consumer Reports magazine does not accept advertising. Anyway, despite this, I find that it is really worth the money to learn which sunscreens and foundations have both UVA and UVB protection b/c I cannot always read through all of the ingredients on the bottles. I will say that I have learned not to believe the hype of what a product says it can do. I can use Paula's info. so that I can have realistic expectations about products. This is a big money and time saver! I do sometime return makeup but mostly it is b/c of wrong color choice and not due to poor product performance.
Like the reviewer below, I am annoyed at P's lack of reviews for Tarte, NYX, and other lines that have been around for a while now.
I will say, the Beauypedia site has helped me find lower priced substitutes for some of Paula's own products! (Though I do stick with a couple of her skin care products.)

on 1/25/2008 3:58:00 PM

There is a lot of useful information in this book. I looked up all the products I love and she did give them high ratings. The problem I have with this book is there is a degree of information overload (which I guess isnít really a bad thing considering how thorough it is). Luckily there is a best products summary which can help to narrow your options a little bit. The glossary is also quite useful. My advise, check this out at your local library as needed or photocopy the best product summary from the back of the book and use the rest as a reference. No reason to buy one yourself unless you plan on spending the next year of your life reading about makeup you will probably never use. It was fun to look up the products I like but even if she would have given them a poor rating I would still use them since they work well for me. It was also good to know about the ingredients in the products but you should be looking into that yourself for the products you use often. If you are in the market for a new product to try, use the best product summary because you will never get through the rest of the book. You are never going to know how a product works for you until you try it so keep that in mind when reading her ratings. What works for you may not work for everyone else.