Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Not tested on animals

on 5/16/2009 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is OK as an intro to beauty items but the key is to take everything PB says with a grain of salt. I like to use this as a quick filter for certain types of products where I know her views and mine agree. For example, finding out which AHA/BHA products have the right ph level and sunscreen info.

She's quite biased in her opinions and doesn't give manufacturers a fair chance of defending themselves as in her opinion, she cannot be argued with since she's always right. I don't think she manages to convince that what she says is fact merely because she's able to quote a scientific paper. Her opinions are quite subjective so you'll find that a lot of HG products don't agree with her. Each person is different and if I had to rely on anyone's opinion, I'd prefer to come to MUA.

She loses all impartiality and credibility in giving every single one of her products a Paula's Pick rating, which is the highest rating you can get. In her favour, she does well to educate on BHAs, AHAs and sunscreens. I have the 6th and 7th editions and won't be repurchasing if another edition comes out. The 7th edition has less information than the 6th and the opinions in it are more self-righteous.

on 4/20/2009 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I can understand why Paula and her books aren't taken very seriously but I found this book really helpful. I live in Australia and had heard nothing about her before buying this book and I still don't know much about her so her reputation doesn't have an impact on my review.

The book introduced me to AHA/BHA which has completely changed my skin. I have also learnt about antioxidants and skin-identical ingredients and what to check for in ingredient lists. And if I am thinking of buying a product, I'll have a look at how she rates it and then I jump onto Makeupalley to make up my mind.

I think it's important to take her opinions at face value. Everyone's skin is different and different products will have different results. I've tried a few items she has rated highly and they didn't work for me but I still find the book very useful.

I took a lippie off because I'm undecided about her reviewing her own products in the book. It's a good marketing tactic no doubt, especially for someone who as far as I know, isn't known by everyone. But it is annoying nontheless because of course she is going to rate her products highly.

Decide for yourself. Borrow it or read it at the book store and see how you like it.

I found paula's book very helpful...no its not the catch all to end all and this website and personal experience are also very valuable tools.

In her book and on her website she mentions that if something works for you and gets a bad rating then great keep using it and go for it...she says these are her personal opinions from her research and testing. She has lots of people who work for her testing products so its not just her.

Everyones skin is different. Some tolerate things that others dont. I have used products i thought were amazing and read paulas review that was bad...if this product works for me im not gonna stop using it. However on some products that ive considered that paula found harmful im not going to try bc my skin is so sensitive id rather stay away.

Its just a reference. Not all references agree. You can find research to support mineral oil is good and mineral oil is bad. It has to be up to you in the end.

All and all this is a good reference to learn about skincare and makeup. She DOES preach the necessity of sunscreen over and over and over! in fact she rates alot of makeups...like Revlon Colorstay neutral because its a good makeup but she doesnt like the fact that it has low suncreen!

As for her product line ive been using it for a few weeks and i love it! the redness of my skin has gone down alot!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Disappointing compared to her earlier books. Although her opinions on ingredients have changed over the years, this latest book seems a bit abridged compared to the 6th edition. I was a bit surprised that she omitted so many lines this time around, and, as far as I saw, didn't include many new ones.
I was also surprised she rated her own products this time around (could she possibly think any of her own products were less than wonderful?) and preferred the earlier version where she described her products but left them unrated.
Overall, this felt like more of an advertisement of her Beautypedia website, which has many more lines reviewed.

I have been reading these since the first was published in 1990 (1989/1991?), and, pre-internet days, they were extremely useful, but I think the wealth of information and opinions on the web has made them somewhat obsolete.

on 5/27/2008 6:48:00 PM

I'm sorry, but I just can't take this book too seriously. While Paula makes a good point of talking smack (and at times rightly so) about cosmetic lines, she also blatantly touts her own high and mighty products. There's no possible way this woman can be objective.

I also doubt this woman's breadth of knowledge. Maybe she's a chemist? Or did she go to med school? Wait a minute, no. Yet she goes on and on about the science of the skin and then sets up a somewhat arbitrary evaluation system for products, mainly based on how gentle the product ingredients are. And she's telling the lay public what is and is not good on the basis of that and her own biased opinion. Gee, what a big surprise that she loves most Paula's Choice products...hmmmmmmm...It's not that Paula only promotes her products. Don't get me wrong, she lauds the qualities of other product lines. I just don't like the tone that Paula uses in her book, and I think she does little to back up her arguments against the skincare and cosmetics industry when she constructs a mostly arbitrary product evaluation system. One under which Paula's Choice products miraculously pass with flying colors...

I read this book for research purposes (I'm a physician who performs aesthetic treatments). What it left me with was a mild disgust for a woman who seems to want to toot her own horn while blasting the majority of the skincare and cosmetics industry. I do give her credit for working the industry in her favor though...

Many sections in Paula's book are like big advertisements for Beautypedia and the Paula's Choice line. It's not hard to see that. I know she's a businesswoman but come on! This is just another avenue for her to promote her line. So let's just say this book is not one I will turn to again. It will collect dust on my bookshelf...all in the name of research!