Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

4.2

Not tested on animals

on 3/30/2009 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I loved Paula's books growing up! I even subscribed to her newsletter. When I was just starting to wear make-up and think about skin care her books made me a more educated consumer. She is the person who inspired me to start reading ingredient lists and forever changed my conception of expensive=quality.

on 2/15/2009 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I am giving this a 3/5 because its not necessarily a horribly book for someone exploring cosmetics, but PLEASE do NOT rely on this as your cosmetics bible because she is NOT a scientist of any sort and I think she might be confused when translating research for some ingredients... Be meticulous in reading labels and knowing what your skin works with best, read reviews, etc.

For example, anything with lavender oil she will give a "sad face" and not recommend, claiming that lavender oil will damage the skin. While this might be true, no one is putting that high of a concentrate on their skin, and these test only show skin damage in vitro, no on a living, walking human skin organ. That being said, lavender oil in small amounts can act as a antibacterial agent. (She rates Philosophy's Shelter poorly because of the lavender, though the antioxidants and UVA/UVB protection she says is superb. The lavender is in a small amount that may also shelter from bacterial breakouts aka acne!)

She says similar negative things about several other natural oils that CAN be an irritant, and if you know you are allergic, don't use them. But, a lot of these oils have natural antibacterial properties, are antioxidants, and are in such small amounts. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Very disappointed. So many products and lines are missing compared to 6th edition. WHY? Is that a hint that we should subscribe to Beautypedia if we want to find more reviews? Hmmm, nice move. Not. I am not ready to shell out $25 every year. Though there was actually a 50% discount coupon enclosed with the new book for the first year's subscription.
I gave the old 6th edition to my friend, which I really shouldn't have done because now I have to bother her all the time with my questions about products that I can not find in the new book.
I do admire Paula and her work. Her books became a real eyeopener for me a few years ago when I didn't know much about skincare and had no idea why toners with alcohol didn't impove my acne-prone skin, why acne fighting products actually caused more acne, why exfoliation was important and why products that claimed to be non-comedogenic clogged pores like there was no tomorrow.
I didn't see a problem that she had her own line and was still reviewing other products. But why did she have to give her own products Paula's pick this time? Like many other reviewers I was unpleasantly surprised to see that in her new book.
Yet I still reach out for her book on a nearly daily basis and can not live without it. *singing* I am not an addict :-) Just a make-up junkie :-)

on 6/29/2008 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The Seventh Edition is just as packed with information as the original edition that I first discovered years ago. She presents fair, unbiased and factual evidence for her opinions and reviews. Whether you use her products or not, and I happen to use several quite successfully, you can benefit from reading this book. You can save a lot of money by avoiding products that can ruin your skin and flatten your wallet. Reading her various editions of this book helped me learn about what was good for my skin and helped me navigate the myriad of choices for skincare and makeup and make as little purchasing mistakes as possible. Highly recommend!

on 1/19/2008 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is Paulas newst book. I have read her past books, and also having the 6th edition so I just had to order this. The overall review is that this one is better then the past. The idea is the same, also the ratings and the criterias. Whats new in this version is that se gives a "At-a-Glaze" about every brand features in the book, she writes strenghts and weaknesses, and that gives a better balance. In the past version she was a bit hard, but this makes it more reader friendly. Reviews has also changed, on the basis of new better products, new research or companies has changed the product. Some new brands are featured and some are gone.
The best of summary at the end is also shorter, and eatch category is split in half, like fore example products under $15 or product with/without spf. At the end of the Best of list she features a list of the companies with most Paulas pick. Clinique has the most, M.A.C. second, Estee Lauder, Neutrogena, Presciptives... That means that 4 of 5 companies are Estee Lauder companies, that means that Estee Lauder is a top choice for buying top cosmetica!