Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.5

Not tested on animals

on 1/19/2008 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is Paulas newst book. I have read her past books, and also having the 6th edition so I just had to order this. The overall review is that this one is better then the past. The idea is the same, also the ratings and the criterias. Whats new in this version is that se gives a "At-a-Glaze" about every brand features in the book, she writes strenghts and weaknesses, and that gives a better balance. In the past version she was a bit hard, but this makes it more reader friendly. Reviews has also changed, on the basis of new better products, new research or companies has changed the product. Some new brands are featured and some are gone.
The best of summary at the end is also shorter, and eatch category is split in half, like fore example products under $15 or product with/without spf. At the end of the Best of list she features a list of the companies with most Paulas pick. Clinique has the most, M.A.C. second, Estee Lauder, Neutrogena, Presciptives... That means that 4 of 5 companies are Estee Lauder companies, that means that Estee Lauder is a top choice for buying top cosmetica!

on 5/27/2008 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I am a subscriber of Beautypedia and for the most part agree with Annie B's review below. I use the website to get an idea about a product- that is for which skin type a particular foundation or moisturizer is best for; and knowing about ingredients which may cause breakouts for blemish-prone skin or if a powder is best for oily or dry skin, etc. Using this site AND the MUA site has helped me to save money and be much happier with the products I purchase. I, too, don't like that Paula rates her own products. I do think it is questionable as far as her ability to be objective is concerned. After all, she does use peer-reviewed scientific articles and data in her research about effective skin care. Though, obviously she isn't a scientist, I have and do rely on her ability to relate this info. to me as a consumer and that does mean trying one's best to be objective. It is why Consumer Reports magazine does not accept advertising. Anyway, despite this, I find that it is really worth the money to learn which sunscreens and foundations have both UVA and UVB protection b/c I cannot always read through all of the ingredients on the bottles. I will say that I have learned not to believe the hype of what a product says it can do. I can use Paula's info. so that I can have realistic expectations about products. This is a big money and time saver! I do sometime return makeup but mostly it is b/c of wrong color choice and not due to poor product performance.
Like the reviewer below, I am annoyed at P's lack of reviews for Tarte, NYX, and other lines that have been around for a while now.
I will say, the Beauypedia site has helped me find lower priced substitutes for some of Paula's own products! (Though I do stick with a couple of her skin care products.)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Paula Who?MAKEUPALLEY ROX :P
lol

on 4/20/2009 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I can understand why Paula and her books aren't taken very seriously but I found this book really helpful. I live in Australia and had heard nothing about her before buying this book and I still don't know much about her so her reputation doesn't have an impact on my review.

The book introduced me to AHA/BHA which has completely changed my skin. I have also learnt about antioxidants and skin-identical ingredients and what to check for in ingredient lists. And if I am thinking of buying a product, I'll have a look at how she rates it and then I jump onto Makeupalley to make up my mind.

I think it's important to take her opinions at face value. Everyone's skin is different and different products will have different results. I've tried a few items she has rated highly and they didn't work for me but I still find the book very useful.

I took a lippie off because I'm undecided about her reviewing her own products in the book. It's a good marketing tactic no doubt, especially for someone who as far as I know, isn't known by everyone. But it is annoying nontheless because of course she is going to rate her products highly.

Decide for yourself. Borrow it or read it at the book store and see how you like it.