Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.0

Not tested on animals

on 3/17/2009 1:04:00 PM

ive always taken paula's advice with a grain of salt and this book was no exception. i typically follow her reviews for information about what the main ingredients are in products, before ive had a chance to take a look at them myself, and then make my own decision about whether or not they seem suitable to my skin. i respect her dedication to what she does but shes only human and, as such, she is biased. and she doesnt know everything. its important to keep that in mind!

my biggest gripe about this book, and her reviews in general, is that she doesnt give a lot of thought to acne prone skin issues. her attitude seems to be, "just throw some bp and bha at it." im 24 years old and ive matured a bit past plain ol' acne creams. now i need to know what moisturizers, antioxident serums and sunscreens are safe for me. she will sometimes advice against "oily" types to use something but she doesnt take into account a skin type that may be acne-prone AND prone to dryness. a lot of her paulas picks contain oils which are a big no-no for me. she also heavily favors avo sunscreens and doesnt make much of an effort to seek out as many physical ss's which are often better for sensitive and acne prone individuals. and of course, like everyone else, i have my own little disagreements with some of her advice. she repeatedly emphasizes that acne-prone skin will repond better to bha's than aha's, which is absolutely not true for me.

i disregard her makeup reviews completely. makeup, especially when youre getting into colors, is too subjective a topic to be able to advice millions of people about. and this is an area where her biases become very evident. also, again, she rarely gets into comodegenic ingredients in blushes or foundations which would be much more valuable to me than, say, what eyeshadows are too shimmery.

as far as her own line goes, i dont have a problem with it. she is obviously passionate about skincare and makeup so it kindof makes sense to me that she would branch out into something like that. as long as she still stays current on other brand reviews and doesnt start magically giving horrible ratings to all products besides her own, it doesnt seem hypocritical to me. as someone else mentioned, i dont see it as being that different from all the dermatologist lines available. this book contains more than a thousand pages, 99% of them discussing other lines so i dont think she is unfairly highlighting her own stuff.

overall, its an interesting read and a good way to build up some basic knowledge about ingredients and different brands. if you are already familiar with your own skin and its general likes and dislikes, its a good way to get info on products so that you can choose what you think would benefit you. id recommend checking it out from the library which is what i did. honestly though, MUA is a much better resource!

not impressed! she says products are worthless, when alot of people have had good results from these products. She also seems to recommend alot of products with silicone in, which i have found is a TERRIBLE irritant and causes spots and blocked pores!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Very disappointed. So many products and lines are missing compared to 6th edition. WHY? Is that a hint that we should subscribe to Beautypedia if we want to find more reviews? Hmmm, nice move. Not. I am not ready to shell out $25 every year. Though there was actually a 50% discount coupon enclosed with the new book for the first year's subscription.
I gave the old 6th edition to my friend, which I really shouldn't have done because now I have to bother her all the time with my questions about products that I can not find in the new book.
I do admire Paula and her work. Her books became a real eyeopener for me a few years ago when I didn't know much about skincare and had no idea why toners with alcohol didn't impove my acne-prone skin, why acne fighting products actually caused more acne, why exfoliation was important and why products that claimed to be non-comedogenic clogged pores like there was no tomorrow.
I didn't see a problem that she had her own line and was still reviewing other products. But why did she have to give her own products Paula's pick this time? Like many other reviewers I was unpleasantly surprised to see that in her new book.
Yet I still reach out for her book on a nearly daily basis and can not live without it. *singing* I am not an addict :-) Just a make-up junkie :-)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Disappointing compared to her earlier books. Although her opinions on ingredients have changed over the years, this latest book seems a bit abridged compared to the 6th edition. I was a bit surprised that she omitted so many lines this time around, and, as far as I saw, didn't include many new ones.
I was also surprised she rated her own products this time around (could she possibly think any of her own products were less than wonderful?) and preferred the earlier version where she described her products but left them unrated.
Overall, this felt like more of an advertisement of her Beautypedia website, which has many more lines reviewed.

I have been reading these since the first was published in 1990 (1989/1991?), and, pre-internet days, they were extremely useful, but I think the wealth of information and opinions on the web has made them somewhat obsolete.