Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I bought this book after hearing so much hype about it so I ordered it from Amazon.com and zealously began reading the 7th edition of this book. Let me preface this review by saying, yes, there was some good information in the book regarding irritants in products, what to look for in the ingredients list, and being introduced to brands that were unknown to me, so this was a good read on that account. However, was this book something I needed to have in book collection, no; would I recommend this book to someone else, no; do I regret buying the book, no, but I wish I hadn't done so for I didn't get my money's worth.

My recommendation is if you are curious about this book, rent it from a library, try to borrow it from a friend, or buy a used haggard older edition of the book, but don't go out and buy latest edition of this book for it's not worth the $30 investment. You can find most (if not all) of the information in this book on the internet if you have: 1) the inclination & desire to know more about makeup and skin care; and 2) have access to a computer.

Enough said and that's the end of my review.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is an indispensable source of product information. I'm so glad to have this latest edition as the previous one became outdated with the plethora of new products/formulations since its release.

Paula has clearly done exhaustive research to back up her conclusions on the ingredients found in cosmetics products. I don't always agree with her on what works and what doesn't work (e.g., hydrogen peroxide is a miracle cure for my occasional blemishes but Paula says never to use it).

But still the reviews are extremely helpful because they provide me with facts and fairly unbiased background info on products before I purchase them. I'm also very appreciative to Paula for including a list of companies that test on animals. (I plan on avoiding them!)

on 2/11/2008 4:35:00 PM

Excellent update ... but what's with all the typos and proofreading mistakes? Some days can be really slow at work, and I almost read this thing cover to cover, and I was shocked and how many goofs there were in the text! It seemed a little low budget if you know what I mean. However, Paula's come up with another great edition of her standout text, although it seems to be lacking quite a few brands ... Guerlain, Bonne Bell, DHC, etc. I guess that's why she launched Beautypedia.com ... for those of you who haven't tried the site (membership is half off if you buy the book, or search for the coupon online), it's pretty much her text in a searchable format. Though it is at times nicely laid out, there is an awkwardness about navigating the site which can be very frustrating. Hopefully, these are just problems that will get sorted out once the site is on its feet. All in all, Paula adds a lot to the consumer community, and places like MUA wouldn't be around if it weren't for her pioneering efforts!