Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.3

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I bought this book after hearing so much hype about it so I ordered it from Amazon.com and zealously began reading the 7th edition of this book. Let me preface this review by saying, yes, there was some good information in the book regarding irritants in products, what to look for in the ingredients list, and being introduced to brands that were unknown to me, so this was a good read on that account. However, was this book something I needed to have in book collection, no; would I recommend this book to someone else, no; do I regret buying the book, no, but I wish I hadn't done so for I didn't get my money's worth.

My recommendation is if you are curious about this book, rent it from a library, try to borrow it from a friend, or buy a used haggard older edition of the book, but don't go out and buy latest edition of this book for it's not worth the $30 investment. You can find most (if not all) of the information in this book on the internet if you have: 1) the inclination & desire to know more about makeup and skin care; and 2) have access to a computer.

Enough said and that's the end of my review.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I learned a lot while reading this book.
And it really helped me buy better products for my skin.
I can't wait for an 8th edition.

on 3/30/2009 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This has been on my desk at virtually every job I've had, starting with the 2nd version. (I'm a beauty copywriter.) The glossary is invaluable...a listing of gazillions of cosmetic ingredients...what they are, what they do, good, bad or indifferent. I'm a big fan of the reviews as well - and like most people here - do not agree with all of them. The fact that I may hate products she touts, or love products that get a frownie-face does not make Paula Begoun a moron or liar, which seems to be the conclusion drawn by a few reviewers. These are simply her opinions...and opinions can differ wildly as evidenced by our own MakeUpAlley reviews! Common sense tells you different people will have different results with a certain foundation or cleanser. She has gushed over a few mascaras that I've loathed. But there have been far more hits than misses with her reviews, at least for me. I use this book as a guide...not a Bible. I'm sorry there will be no 8th edition, although at this point it would probably be too heavy to lift, lol.

on 1/30/2009 12:35:00 AM

I stopped reading her after her first book. Why? Because I worked for a few years for the cosmetics industry, and saw great results in my clients from many of the products Paula claims are worthless. I have seen pores tightened, wrinkles greatly diminished, spots lightened, jawlines firmed--all from products Paula claims are just worthless junk. You know, some women buy pricey products for a REASON, and that reason is that they are getting visible results. (Not always, but far more often than Paula would like to admit.) Many products keep their promises or even exceed them, and these are the products women come back for time and again even if they are pricey. Cosmetics companies WANT their products to work so they can keep their customers coming back. Makes sense, right? It's not all just a big scam as Paula would like us to believe.

Also, how can ANYONE take her seriously when she SELLS HER OWN LINE...? Of course she's going to trash talk all the other lines. Furthermore, a lot of the ingredients she claims are worthless/irritating/pore-clogging etc. somehow magically end up in some of her own products! So, what to believe...? The ingredients are bad unless Paula decides to use them...?

Last but not least, a lot of her reviews for products are clearly WAY off-base--as if she's never actually tried them or even felt them. I've seen lightweight gels accused of being heavy and greasy, and positively caustic products praised as being suitable for sensitive skin! Practically fragrance-free, very gentle products are smacked down as "irritating" due to lavender oil listed like twenty ingredients down. Just silly. They say a "little" knowledge can be a dangerous thing--and that phrase certainly rings true in the case of Paula Begoun. I WILL go to the cosmetics counter without her, because frankly, I know most of the products better than she does--and my skin looks better, too. ;)