Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

3.2

Not tested on animals

This is like Consumer Reports for makeup. It will save you a ton of money and you can get the best products in every category. She is not pushing her own brand; I don't think people who say that really read the book. I now go to her website frequently and have not been disappointed yet.

I have found Paula's information to be extremely helpful. I think she really knows what she is talking about, especially with skincare, and I think my skin looks better because of it!
I am 49 and still get compliments on my complexion. 'Nuff said!

I also recently started using her products and I think they work very well.

Two big thubs up! I almost never do go to the cosmetics counter without her. I even have her app on my phone.

As far as rating her own products "Paula's pick"- I think it makes total sense. Why would she make a product that she didn't think was good?

on 3/7/2011 2:36:00 PM

My only complaint with edition is that Paula has given all of her products a Paula's Pick designation.
Her previous books listed her products but did not rate them which seems like a better choice.

on 6/16/2009 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am amazed at the number of people who reviewed this book, yet have never even read it, much less purchased it. I have purchased, read, re-read and continue to reference her books before making a new make-up or skin care purchase. Does it mean I take her word as Gospel? No. However, before Paula came on the market with her reviews, keep in mind there were very few (if any) broad-spectrum sunscreens, very few (if any) products for sensitive skin, and very few (if any) products that contained anti-oxidants in stable packaging. Before she came on the scene, menthol, alcohol, heavy fragrance and other irritants were staples in many skin care products. Before she came on the scene, we would judge the quality of a product by the price, the name, and the advertising, thinking it would work miracles simply because it was an expensive product from an expensive department store. Now, largely due to the pressure her reviews have put on these companies, more and more high-quality products are there for reasonable prices. In short, she holds these companies accountable in a market where false advertising largely goes unchecked. The ingredient glossary alone is worth the price of the book. Yes, sometimes I do not agree with her: some picks for her are not picks for me, and vice versa. By and large, however, she is dead on target, if not at least in the ballpark. Since I am over 40, my skin care needs change with the tides it seems, and what I use in the fall/winter, will not be the same things I use in the spring/summer. I take into account the reviews from make-up alley, my esthetician, my hair stylist, my sisters, my dear husband...but I will not make a purchase without consulting this book. She has been in this business for many, many years. As far as recommending her own products is concerned, I would expect her to do that. I would expect that all of the knowledge she has gained over the years would translate into state-of-the-art products with her name on them. Look at the ingredient list and price of her Super Antioxidant Concentrate, for example...then, look at the ingredient list and price of another well-known company's "anti-aging" serum. Her formula will most likely be superior; it will most definitely be cheaper. To not give her any credit for objectivity is narrow-minded and unfair. To not at least read this book cover to cover before forming an opinion is uneducated and ignorant. But hey...it's your money and your skin.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

I learned a lot while reading this book.
And it really helped me buy better products for my skin.
I can't wait for an 8th edition.

I found paula's book very helpful...no its not the catch all to end all and this website and personal experience are also very valuable tools.

In her book and on her website she mentions that if something works for you and gets a bad rating then great keep using it and go for it...she says these are her personal opinions from her research and testing. She has lots of people who work for her testing products so its not just her.

Everyones skin is different. Some tolerate things that others dont. I have used products i thought were amazing and read paulas review that was bad...if this product works for me im not gonna stop using it. However on some products that ive considered that paula found harmful im not going to try bc my skin is so sensitive id rather stay away.

Its just a reference. Not all references agree. You can find research to support mineral oil is good and mineral oil is bad. It has to be up to you in the end.

All and all this is a good reference to learn about skincare and makeup. She DOES preach the necessity of sunscreen over and over and over! in fact she rates alot of makeups...like Revlon Colorstay neutral because its a good makeup but she doesnt like the fact that it has low suncreen!

As for her product line ive been using it for a few weeks and i love it! the redness of my skin has gone down alot!!!!

on 6/29/2008 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The Seventh Edition is just as packed with information as the original edition that I first discovered years ago. She presents fair, unbiased and factual evidence for her opinions and reviews. Whether you use her products or not, and I happen to use several quite successfully, you can benefit from reading this book. You can save a lot of money by avoiding products that can ruin your skin and flatten your wallet. Reading her various editions of this book helped me learn about what was good for my skin and helped me navigate the myriad of choices for skincare and makeup and make as little purchasing mistakes as possible. Highly recommend!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is an indispensable source of product information. I'm so glad to have this latest edition as the previous one became outdated with the plethora of new products/formulations since its release.

Paula has clearly done exhaustive research to back up her conclusions on the ingredients found in cosmetics products. I don't always agree with her on what works and what doesn't work (e.g., hydrogen peroxide is a miracle cure for my occasional blemishes but Paula says never to use it).

But still the reviews are extremely helpful because they provide me with facts and fairly unbiased background info on products before I purchase them. I'm also very appreciative to Paula for including a list of companies that test on animals. (I plan on avoiding them!)

on 1/19/2008 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is Paulas newst book. I have read her past books, and also having the 6th edition so I just had to order this. The overall review is that this one is better then the past. The idea is the same, also the ratings and the criterias. Whats new in this version is that se gives a "At-a-Glaze" about every brand features in the book, she writes strenghts and weaknesses, and that gives a better balance. In the past version she was a bit hard, but this makes it more reader friendly. Reviews has also changed, on the basis of new better products, new research or companies has changed the product. Some new brands are featured and some are gone.
The best of summary at the end is also shorter, and eatch category is split in half, like fore example products under $15 or product with/without spf. At the end of the Best of list she features a list of the companies with most Paulas pick. Clinique has the most, M.A.C. second, Estee Lauder, Neutrogena, Presciptives... That means that 4 of 5 companies are Estee Lauder companies, that means that Estee Lauder is a top choice for buying top cosmetica!

on 2/10/2017 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I loved this book when it first came out - but now Paula Begoun has her own product line and this seems more biased.