Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

Paula's Choice Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me 7th edition

2.5

Not tested on animals

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Disappointing compared to her earlier books. Although her opinions on ingredients have changed over the years, this latest book seems a bit abridged compared to the 6th edition. I was a bit surprised that she omitted so many lines this time around, and, as far as I saw, didn't include many new ones.
I was also surprised she rated her own products this time around (could she possibly think any of her own products were less than wonderful?) and preferred the earlier version where she described her products but left them unrated.
Overall, this felt like more of an advertisement of her Beautypedia website, which has many more lines reviewed.

I have been reading these since the first was published in 1990 (1989/1991?), and, pre-internet days, they were extremely useful, but I think the wealth of information and opinions on the web has made them somewhat obsolete.

on 5/27/2008 6:48:00 PM

I'm sorry, but I just can't take this book too seriously. While Paula makes a good point of talking smack (and at times rightly so) about cosmetic lines, she also blatantly touts her own high and mighty products. There's no possible way this woman can be objective.

I also doubt this woman's breadth of knowledge. Maybe she's a chemist? Or did she go to med school? Wait a minute, no. Yet she goes on and on about the science of the skin and then sets up a somewhat arbitrary evaluation system for products, mainly based on how gentle the product ingredients are. And she's telling the lay public what is and is not good on the basis of that and her own biased opinion. Gee, what a big surprise that she loves most Paula's Choice products...hmmmmmmm...It's not that Paula only promotes her products. Don't get me wrong, she lauds the qualities of other product lines. I just don't like the tone that Paula uses in her book, and I think she does little to back up her arguments against the skincare and cosmetics industry when she constructs a mostly arbitrary product evaluation system. One under which Paula's Choice products miraculously pass with flying colors...

I read this book for research purposes (I'm a physician who performs aesthetic treatments). What it left me with was a mild disgust for a woman who seems to want to toot her own horn while blasting the majority of the skincare and cosmetics industry. I do give her credit for working the industry in her favor though...

Many sections in Paula's book are like big advertisements for Beautypedia and the Paula's Choice line. It's not hard to see that. I know she's a businesswoman but come on! This is just another avenue for her to promote her line. So let's just say this book is not one I will turn to again. It will collect dust on my bookshelf...all in the name of research!