Clean & Clear Persagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

benzoyl peroxide (5%)

on 11/12/2016 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I bought this because I got the worst breakout of my life from using a new cleansing balm sample. I was covered in pimples and those tiny skin coloured bumps (blocked pores?) that linger for weeks then eventually become pimples. I usually struggle with really mild acne but what happened to my face made me look diseased. I wanted to cry when I looked in the mirror. Instead of waiting ages for those lingering bumps to go away I decided to try something new, so I picked up some persagel 5.
I regularly use salicylic acid treatments and sulphur resorcinol treatments. While those help with active, red pimples they've never done much for those pesky bumps. With some patience and persistence, the persagel has made my skin a bit flatter and less bumpy. I usually use it once a day but every few days I use it 2x. It did bring a lot of inactive zits to the surface so it looked a little worse for a couple days but went away quickly. After a week and a half my skin looks way clearer and closer to my "normal" and I will continue to use it until it looks the best it can.
It did cause dryness which is to be expected, and was easily remedied with pure Argan oil. The gel also made my sensitive skin around my chin inflamed, red, and scaly (however I did foolishly use glamglow mask around the same time of the persagel treatment - combining acne treatments is a no-no and I learned my lesson) but I've been able to calm that part down with hydrocortisone. I haven't had this reaction on any other parts of my face which is a freaking miracle because I'm so prone to eczema/dermatitis. So although this treatment can aggravate sensitive skin I personally can deal with that more easily than I can deal with really bad acne breakouts.
Definitely test this out before applying it all over because it's possible that you could react worse than I did. Also try to apply it with a q-tip instead of your fingers. It's peroxide so it can end up bleaching your towels, clothes, and anything you touch. Using a q-tip makes sure you don't get it anywhere it's not supposed to go :)

on 8/22/2016 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I can see that my pimples are slowly disappearing. I did see the difference the next day. However, my face was red, swollen, and itchy when I woke up. One side of my face, where all my pimples are and I applied the ointment was noticeably swollen that I did not go outside. I stopped using right away. After five days, my face is still swollen and itchy. I decided not to reapply even though it was working because of the swelling. And my pimples are still there. Should apply a little to test how your skin react to the product. I will not buy again. It was not a good experience.

on 6/1/2016 11:42:00 PM

Previously, I had mediocre success with Persa Gel 5. Around four months ago, I was prescribed with Tactupump (adapalene and benzoyl peroxide) and had applied it for two months to significantly reduce the severity of my acne. When I used Persa Gel 5 thereafter, I noticed that my skin quickly responded and improved faster than before. My popped pimples will recover within one or two nights now.

It can be drying, so I only apply it on my trouble areas once every night and follow with an application of my night cream. I've ditched Clean and Clear's salicylic products.

on 4/23/2016 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Okay well I have the Persagel that is 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, but I'm going to continue anyways. This product is AMAZING! This is one of the only products that really helps with my acne. I find that it's good at shrinking your acne as well as your pores, especially since I have oily skin and larger pores. It's also nice in helping shrink a freshly popped zit quickly overnight. A bad thing however, is that this product can be drying if too much is applied. I unfortunately tend to do this, but I feel like I get away with it since my skin isn't sensitive, only oily. Another con of putting too much on is that can stain your pillows, so beware. All in all, I would totally recommend this product to anyone who suffers with acne.

Gave me horrible swelling on my face. Never again.

It leaves a white sticky residue on your skin, so I recommend applying at night and washing your face in the morning, and it can dry out skin but it did work alright for me. I find that this works better for popped pimples with reducing redness and irritation than on one that are on the surface or under the skin. I purchased this for 6 bucks at a grocery store after I had used coconut oil on my face that had caused a major breakout and irritation. You get a lot for the price, a little dab will do you. The product can come out fast if you squeeze too much, so be careful or you will have way too much. It does tingle slightly when applied, but it doesn't burn or anything. Has kind of an antiseptic/medicine smell to it.

on 3/22/2015 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It doesn't get rid of pimples at all! It just dries out your skin

on 2/7/2015 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

one of the strongest treatments I've tried. i wouldn't over use this cause it dries out my skin. put it on spots or oily areas. this would be great for teenage acne but as I've gotten older my skin is kinda balancing and i don't use such harsh products anymore. (I'm using la roche posay effaclar duo) for the price its amazing and effective.

on 10/15/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My HG acne treatment. I have really oily skin + buttloads of schoolwork + not a lot of sleep+ I eat bad foods+ I'm cramming for tests and exams+ lots of stress has led me to the worst condition my skin could be. I was upset when I woke up one morning to find my skin was filled with tons of whiteheads. I remember reading in chemistry class that benzoyl peroxide was a bacteria-killing compound, so I decided to do some research. Turns out, it's one of the two main compounds people use to fight acne. I asked my dear mother to go to the store and get me 0.5% benzoyl peroxide. She got me 5% instead. I put this on either way, and my whiteheads disappeared under an hour. It was crazy. I put my hand and tried to feel my forehead. The bumps were dramatically reduced. I was convinced this was a gift given from the deities above. This is such a good product; I'll repurchase it after it's used up.

on 9/13/2014 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

**A MUST-HAVE** I broke out with hormonal acne all of a sudden and I tried everything possible to get rid of the spots. I watched a YouTube video about a young girl who used this religiously and her acne disappeared. So I gave it a try, after cleansing my face I would put this only on areas with acne and wait for it to dry. After that I'd put my moisturizer on, I think it's key to put moisturizer on after using this product. My pimples started drying out and disappearing (this does not happen over night but don't give up on it). This has been the main thing that helped me on my journey to clearer skin.