REN Clean Skincare Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask

REN Clean Skincare Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask
Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal MaskRen Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask

Polysorbate 60 (Source Rape Seed Oil), Glycerin (Source Coconut Oil), Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Water, Lecithin (Source Soybean), Lactic Acid (Source Wheat), Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Passiflora Quadrangularis Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Alcohol denat. (Source Grape), Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum (Source Corn), Maltodextrin, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Parfum (100% Natural Fragrance), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Oil, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol (Source Aromatic Ether), Sodium HydroxymethylGlycinate (Source Amino Acid), Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn) Berry Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E). 5/23/2009

on 3/16/2008 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

My skin has gotten really dried out from the Winter season this year and my usual exfoliators weren't doing the job. Although my skin is sensitive, I gave this mask a shot as I have a lot of faith in REN products. Consistency is a cross between apricot jam and applesauce and smells good enough to spread on toast! I didn't experience any burning, but within the 5 minute mark it started to tingle and sting enough to be uncomfortable. I made it to 8 minutes before rinsing. Even with cold water and repeated rinses, my face continued to tingle for a good 15 minutes afterwards. My skin looked slightly pink in patches - no obvious rashes or welts developed, thank goodness. Results were really good in the morning --- the rough areas on my cheeks and around the mouth were smoothed out, blackheads on my nose were literally lifted out of the pores so that I was able to extract them, and even my deep laugh lines appeared to be shallower. I was a little worried about this mask at first, but I find that it does work extremely well. Just take very good care if you have sensitive skin like me or if you're not used to doing home peels. Rinse the product off if the tingling sensation becomes unbearable...definitely don't leave this on for more than 10 minutes as recommended! At this time, I would probably be able to tolerate using this mask 1-2x a month at most. ~~~INGREDIENTS: polysorbate 60 (source rape seed oil) * glycerin (source coconut oil) * bergamot fruit water * lecithin (source soybean) * lactic acid (source wheat) * black currant seed extract * grapeseed oil * passiflora quadrangularis fruit extract * lemon fruit extract * grape fruit extract * alcohol denat. (source grape) * cranberry seed oil * xantham gum (source corn) * maltodextrin * papaya fruit extract * parfum (100% natural fragrance) * orange oil * mandarin orange peel oil * tangerine peel oil * grapefruit seed oil * limonene * linalool * citral * phenoxyethanol (source aromatic ether) * sodium hydroxymethyl glycinate (source amino acid) * seabuckthorn berry oil * tocopherol (vitE)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Let me preface this entire review by stating outright that I have ridiculously sensitive skin. Just about every single skin care product makes my facial skin red and rough, leaving me with stinging red bumps (not acne). I am down to washing my face simply with warm water on a Jane Iredale microfiber washcloth. Unfortunately, I often end up with a dire need for exfoliation, which is a problem for me. Physical exfoliation can often lead to broken little capillaries, but chemical exfoliation burns the crap out of my face. I use Paula's Choice liquid 2% BHA every rare moon and it works, but it stings!

I received a travel size tube of the REN glycolactic peel as part of a kit. I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a try. I am so glad that I did!!! I rinsed my face thoroughly and pat it dry. I applied a thin layer and massaged it in gently in the areas that needed extra attention (my cheeks). It tingled just a bit. I left it on for only five minutes and then got into the shower and carefully and thoroughly rinsed it off. I finished it with a cool rinse after getting out. My skin had never felt better. My entire face felt soft and without a bit of irritation. Over the course of the day, my skin did feel a little "new", as in properly exfoliated and vulnerable, but what a nice change from feeling clogged with dead skin!

I've used it about once a week since and every time I do, I get the same result. I have yet to find a moisturizer I can use following it to maintain that soft sensation, but I am so, so pleased to have found this mask. I did, however, take one lippie off for price. Jesus, it's pricey.

As a coda, I should add that REN's own instructions that come with it say that it is not suitable for sensitive skin. Good thing I didn't read the insert first. I would never have tried it and I would have missed a product perfect for my skin!

***Update***
My original review was for the REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask which has, apparently, changed to this Skin Renewal Peel Mask. My review has been automatically moved to this new product, but my experience has not been the same. This new mask stings like crazy when I apply it, whereas the last mask absolutely did not (hence my rave review). I called the company and they said they didn't change the formulation, only the name, but I am not convinced the man I spoke with knew what he was talking about. This does not feel like the same mask to me. And where in the ingredients, exactly, is the glycolic acid?

I went to my dermatologist to get a professional peel done (It was called a Vitalize Peel) for a $100 and had pretty good results. After deciding that I couldn't afford to do professional peels every month I decided to give this product a try and purchased it from Sephora. I found that I got the same results (smoother, more refined skin) from Ren's Peel as the peel I got in my doctor's office. I definitely recommend this if you are thinking of amping up your exfoliation, but don't want to pay the high price of professional peels.
You only need a dime sized amount to cover your entire face, and the bottle lasts 2-3 months. I leave it on for 10 minutes once a week (usually at night after cleansing my face, I like Kiehls Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser) and it reveals smoother skin instantly. I think it's totally worth the price. For around $55 I can use this once a week for 3 months, or pay $100 for a single professional peel. Also, after I wash this off I make sure and moisturize well because this can be somewhat drying.
I have combination-dry acne-prone skin with eczema for reference!
EDIT: Still love this peel, but I now prefer using Paula's Choice 8% AHA gel every other night for amazing exfoliation.

For the longest time, I have had these weird bumps on my face which were only visible with foundation. I was cleansing twice a day, using a toner and a moisturiser followed by a mask and scrub exfoliation once a week. I could never suss out what the cause of these bumps were having tried everything under the sun!

I then went into SpaceNK and the sales assistant began to try on the foundation i requested to try on (NARS All Day Weightless Luminous Foundation). The lady went on to tell me these bumps were making my makeup sit badly on my skin, and I told her about the fact that I couldn't conclude what was causing the bumps.

She began to direct me to the skincare within the store, and she told me that it is a build up dead skin cells. Also, that scrub exfoliation was way too abrasive hence why the texture of my skin was rough. I knew at this point she was not just trying to make a quick sale, as she walked me through the benefits of the Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask.

This product is truly a life saver, and it is the reason why my skin is radiant, bright and bump free! I can assure you that I am not just giving this product 5/5 for the sake of it. I only review products I either love or hate to let my fellow skincare/makeup fanatics my own opinion.

It is expensive so of course be wise go in-store see it for yourself. it is also REN which is a very trusted skincare company as there products are 100% natural not to mention smell delicious!

on 8/17/2009 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This is the most effective mask treatment I've ever used. My skin looks noticeably better after using this. It really does compare to a light glycolic peel.I'm not that keen on the smell or jammy sticky texture but am more than willing to put up with that for glowing soft skin. I already use a daily glycolic serum and retin A and this is fabulous for a boost. I use it twice a week and although it's pricey it's less than the price of one salon treatment and lasts quite a while. Contrary to the instructions I only use one pump of this and that's more than sufficient.
If I want a real treat I'll follow up with some pure Manuka honey - sticky city!

on 8/27/2008 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is definitely one of the best products I've ever used! I have oily, acne-prone skin and suffer from horrendously big pores. I've used Ren products before- so I knew it would be good- but as this product is 100% natural (like all Ren products), I didn't think it would be powerful enough to drastically improve the red blemishes on my cheeks. Needless to say, I was more than impressed by the results. My skin was left smooth and glowing- but more importantly my pores were smaller and with regular use (I used to use this mask 2-3 times a week, and not once a week like they recommend) my red blemishes were drastically improved! No other product has managed to do that! My skin actually looked clear when using this product, and all from a mask without any harsh chemicals or parabens- all this from a product which looked and smelled pleasantly of apricot jam!

on 1/16/2008 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

There's no doubting this is a strong peel, so as the product information says, it is NOT for sensitive skin. I have acne-prone skin with blackheads on my nose and after leaving the peel on my face for 10min, it worked like a dream and lifted them out. My skin looked great straight after and it was glowing the next day. I'd say I would actually use this a couple of times a week to get the most benefit out of it. I didn't have any tingling sensation when I used it, so it was comfortable for me. I will edit my review after extensive use and I will see whether it prevents future breakouts.

ETA: I bought it after the success of the sample. It has not replicated the stunning results that occurred when I used it the first time, but I think this is because my skin is considerably better and has less gunk to get rid of. I will continue to use this, probably twice a week to get rid of the blemishes. If your skin can handle it, you won't regret it.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I knew I had to try this product out after reading all these positive reviews... I actually ended up purchasing this peel mask, along with the Ren Multi Mineral Detox mask, because I read in a few reviews that these two masks work quite well together; and, now after trying them out for myself, I can honestly say that they do work well together, as well as being fabulous on their own as well. I've used this peel mask about 4 times so far, and the results seem to be getting better and better (I believe the packaging says to use this mask once a week, but sometimes I will use this twice a week if my skin is feeling extra grimy, and I don't have problems with it). The first time I used it, I was left with amazingly smooth and soft skin, that had a nice, healthy glow to it. But, along with this, I also experienced a few whiteheads the next day. They were easily extracted and gone within 1-2 days, like usual- it wasn't a serious breakout or anything. The second time I used this, I experienced 1 tiny whitehead, but that was it. The third time that I used this, no whiteheads at all! This leads me to believe that the whiteheads that I experienced were probably caused by impurities and grime trapped deep in my pores, that this mask finally brought to the surface of my skin (the fourth time I used this, still no whiteheads). Every time I use this, I am left with super soft, super smooth, super radiant skin. Also, this really does look/smell/feel like apricot jam. I find it quite pleasant, and deliciously fruity. When I follow up with the Multi Mineral Detox mask, my results are even better... soft, smooth, glowy... and poreless!

I stumbled upon a natural, organic salon looking for suggestions on where to get a facial. The owner was on site, and her complexion flawless. She said one must repeatedly do treatments at home to maintain a wonderful outcome, and introduced me to REN Glycolactic. I LOVE it! The treatment goes on like a thick, sort of goopy citrus jelly. Smells great, and feels refreshing. I leave mine on between 30- 35 minutes, though you can drop it to even 10 minutes for sensitive skin. My dark splotches lightened with two uses, I felt immediate improvement of overall skin texture immediately, and my glow was to die for! I use it twice/ week, and my pre-treatment is the REN Micro Scrub Exfoliator, while the follow-up is the REN Radiance Perfection Serum. My skin has never looked better...

on 10/3/2010 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I bought this a few months ago and have been using it regularly about once to twice a week. I usually slather it on my freshly cleaned and dried face and leave it on for about 40-45 minutes. That's substantially longer than what it states on the box, but I found that the mask is not effective unless you leave it on for an extensive period of time. After about 45 minutes, my skin is incredibly soft and smooth.

If you do it regularly, it can brighten up your face, but you would have to use this mask every couple of days or so. I don't think it does much else other than smoothing the skin. I think Ren products are pretty overpriced for what they actually can do. I guess they make money on the whole "natural"-thing, but if I am buying a facial peel, I am not expecting it to be natural, and I am definitely not mad at the chemicals.

On a more positive note, the mask smells very nice and the packaging is brilliant. It also lasts a long time, as I am not even half-way through. I will not repurchase.