Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Dark
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

*Sigh* I'm already afraid. Everytime I find a product that seems too good to be true, it probably is. Enough of my soap opera; let me get down to the review:

I was in CVS today blowing $$ on drugstore cosmetics. I needed a new foundation as my regular was looking too orange/dark on me. I have been reading reviews on Revlon colorstay foundation so I picked up two bottles (B1G1 half off)-- one in toast and the other in the next shade darker-- (I like to mix to create the perfect shade). I also picked up this mineral foundation in tan 80. I prayed as I held it---I have a nasty history w/ mineral makeup--breaks me out like hell within hours...I'm talking itchy, swelling cystic acne within a matter of 2- 3 hrs to a day or two. Bad news.
But since its Neutrogena and the package says "dermatologist- selected minerals" I thought I'd give it a go.

I spread a layer of the Colorstay liquid over my face w/ my MAC foundation brush and used a fluffy brush to set with this powder foundation and WOW--my skin looked flawlessly gorgeous! Not a pore in sight, no acne or acne scars showing....just smooth, even, soft, shine- free yet glowy, PERFECT skin. No need for a concealer. I squealed in delight! I've searched for a long time for products to make my skin look this beautiful; wasted a lot of $$$ on expensive brands, only to find my possible HG in a drugstore :)

Its only been one day---too soon to tell----but I'll update if this stuff breaks me out like all other mineral products I"ve used in the past. Keep your fingers crossed!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Well, this gets a '3' for being average with both advantages and disadvantages.

Pros: packaging slim and compact; not particularly messy (I love the coverage of the loose mineral powders like bare escentuals, but I can not deal daily with the mess in the bathroom every time I used it, even when I tried to tap the brush into the waste basket); very easy to apply; sheer so the shade easily blends with skin; keeps my skin relatively shine free throughout the day, somewhat evens tone.

Cons: packaging cheaply made (brilliant design, awful execution--this is my 2nd, and both cracked and the caps chipped and the sliding part broke off on my first); if you're looking for actual coverage, this won't provide it (I use for the mattifying and even-ing effect, rather than for coverage); sometimes the powder doesn't want to come out of the brush without much shaking; the brush could be softer, though its not terribly stiff or hard either.

Overall, I would buy again for the convenience, but I'm hoping that either another company puts mineral powder in the same type of design (better made) or that Neutrogena hears the complaints and ramps up the quality of both the case and the powder so that it provides a tad more coverage.