Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.7

on 3/10/2016 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this in Classic Ivory, which has quite a clear yellow undertone and I'm super glad for that. It's not my perfect match, but it still matches really well. Besides, as the name suggests, the coverage is truly sheer, so even when the shade's a bit off, I can still get away with that. I only use it on my good skin days, when I don't have a lot of blemishes I want to cover, but for under eye darkness and other even mild discolourations, I would have to use a concealer. I still like it, because the main issue that I have is a lot of redness on my face, and the yellow undertone helps cancel it out quite well. So I reckon it's most suitable for people who's got good skin and prefer a light weight, natural, light coverage foundation and prefer to spot conceal over full coverage foundation.
The biggest beef I have with this is first of all, the coverage is literally very sheer. With a buffing brush (I've tried it with both the Real Techniques Buffing brush as well as the Expert Face brush, with both circular buffing and stamping motions), I cannot build up pass a very very light medium coverage. The good thing about it is it doesn't cake up very easily and are quite forgiving. When I first apply it, it may appear a bit powdery, I look flat, which is not something I like at all. But after a while, it soaks up a bit of moisture and oil on my face, and with an extra helping of mist, it completely melts into my skin. The finish is very natural, it just looks like I've got really good, healthy skin. I wouldn't say it's dewy, shiny or even satiny, it just looks like skin, my pores are not covred very well though, but they're minimised to a more acceptable degree. I was quite surprised because this is my first powder foundation ever, and I just could not believe that powder can offer such a finish. However, another problem arises. This foundation is very very very very dry. It feels dry in the pan, it doesn't swatch very well, and I must always mosisturise extra carefully prior to application, or else I would look like a dry overly powdered mess. The issue can be easily resolved by applying with a wet sponge, and I found that way I can immediately achieve the natural, skin-like finish without the setting spray. It's also easier to get the most coverage out of it in this fashion, but even so, since the powder is so dry, even with a damp sponge, I really have to use a bit of strength and scrape into the powder to pick up any product at all, it can be quite a struggle.
Packaging-wise, the powder compact is not compact at all. Due to the compartment for the mirror and the sponge, it's very big and bulky. I originally wanted to switch to powder foundations because travelling with liquid foundation bottles is too much of a pain, and this compact doesn't fulfill that. To make matter worse, the oil control is less than average, even with my usual trusted setting powder, I can see myself getting oily at around 2-3 hours, which means its oil control is even worse than some of my liquid foundations. At 6-7 hours an several blots and even extra sprays, it begins to break down, most visibly between my brows, on my cheeks and my pores look horrible. Double whammy, the powder is too dry for dry skin, and not enough for oily skin (I'm combination). Removing it is very easy though, so I use it on days when I feel quite good, I want to put something on but don't want to bother that much, and don't have the strength or the time to perform the usual rigorous cleansing ritual that liquid foundations would always require.
I got it on sale at a very good price, it's quite a good place to start and learn my ways around powder foundations I guess, so I don't regret it too terribly. But would I repurchase this? No I think not.

on 11/21/2015 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I should start by saying I use 80% HE products and so I am picky. This is the best powder compact I have found at the drugstore. I use Janie Iredale pure pressed base for the mornings, which is pricier but my HG, but to touch up during the day at work I keep this in my bag and it's great. It has pretty good coverage I would say medium when you use the pad that the compact comes with, and it doesn't feel cakey or thick at all. So medium coverage and feels light on the skin and doesn't break me out? All for under $10? That's a winner for me. The only thing I don't like is the compact because I only had mine for a few months and the hinge snapped . But I would recommend this product.

on 9/17/2015 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this power for almost 5 years now and I can honestly say that I have no reason to look for anything else! It sets foundation beautifully, has a natural finish, and super build able coverage! I do wish that it looked a little bit smoother on its own (not over foundation or BB cream) but c'est la vie! It drugstore and from a company that does not overload their products with crap ingredients. The packaging is pretty bland, but I buy it for the results! I have combination/oily skin and this keeps my skin pretty shine free (I say "pretty" because in certain areas I still get shine, but I can't tell if it's the powder's fault or the fact that I can get SUPER shiny in my T-zone, so who knows) I will continue to repurchase this product :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I'm actually impressed! It was $7 on sale at ulta. I was breaking out so much and noticed my face aging after using Revlon Colorstay for years. So I thought because this is Neutrogena I probably won't have any problems. The coverage was great for covering my acne scars and minimalizing my pores. My only problem is the shade range. The darkest shade is still too light for my latina/filipina skin tone.

on 12/23/2013 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I adore this. Five stars all around. For my extremly sensitive, milia (and clogged pore) prone skin, I've tried every foundation under the sun. THIS little gem is the only one that my skin doesn't react to. In fact, It makes my skin smoother.I've been wearing it daily for about 5 months and I can officially say that I love it. Franfrance-free, bismuth-free, and talc-free. Amazing. It looks beautiful when buffed on with my Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair retractable kabuki brush. The coverage is light to medium and looks so beautiful and soft. "Nude" matches me perfect (I have fair skin with a warm/yellow undertone.) In wintertime I mix "Nude" with "Classic Ivory". However I think most people could find their shade since the shades seem really adjustable. Pink-skinned gals(or guys) provably won't find their shade though, FYI. Anyway, I adore this powder. This is my HG.

UPDATE: it's January and I've hit pan on Classic Ivory and soon to hit pan on "Nude." Love.

UPDATE: with use of my L'oreal Sublime Sunless Tanning Lotion, "Nude" is a touch too light. I'll pick up a darker shade of this powder soon. Still my HG after all this time!

UPDATE: still HG. It's summer now, I've stopped fake tanning and have gotten a natural tan, now I'm NC30. The color "Natural Beige" in this powder matches perfectly - perhaps a HAIR too light, but that can be fixed with Bronzer. This powder holds up so well in summer heat, with or without a primer. However, it lasts longest at on top of Bare Minerals Prime Time (another HG.)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this powder off and on for a few years now. I have tried other powders and products that I have liked (Physicians Formula, MAC) but I keep coming back to this one because it is affordable, reliable, and it doesn't cause breakouts. It doesn't last all day and it often is not enough coverage if you have any scars or blemishes whatsoever, but it feels clean on the face, keeps my oil in check for the most part, contains SPF, and is a perfect color match for my skin. I'm a C4 and I use Natural Beige. I just discovered Physician's Formula BB Cream and started using that as a primer and then use a bit of the bb cream concealer wand on problem areas and finish with a light dusting of this powder and it looks better than anything I have ever used. My skin literally glows all day long. If I were just rating this product alone, I would give it a lower rating, but I don't think you will find many powders that can be worn alone, unless it is Studio Fix or unless you have perfect skin. I would recommend this to other peeps with oily or sensitive skin with the caveat that you should probably try a foundation underneath or a bb cream if you don't like wearing a ton of product on your face.

on 10/8/2012 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This product causes pimples. I have acne prone skin, the first day I used it, everything was great, great coverage. But by the 2nd day I started to break out and got blemishes. I noticed that this product does clog pores which causes pimples. Overall, it's a great product for someone who does not have large pores or acne prone skin.

on 1/7/2012 1:41:00 AM

This powder foundation cost approximately $11.00 USD and came with a pack of neutrogena makeup remover wipes which ill review later... Anywho, compared to the HE mineral makeup like Bare essentials and whatnot, it's a relatively good price.As for the shade I got (70 Honey beige), I was pleasantly surprised that it had obvious yellow undertones, something that i rarely see in drugstore makeup which makes finding a match difficult as some are too pink or greyish for me. My only problem was that the display had a very limited color selection which was a bit disappointing.
As for performance, I didn't know what to expect so I tried to keep an open mind. The coverage that i got was sheer, light to medium but i found it could be easily built up. However this can make it look a bit cakey. From the looks of the lowest ratings, it seems to be the same problem, more or less. I still have yet to see how this performs with a primer, on bare skin, etc... Until then, I shall investigate further and update :) I'm still not sure if I'll repurchase though-still in the fence about this one but im leaning towards a no .

I've used this stuff for a long time. I love it. I prefer it over liquid foundation because the powder stuff tends to leave you with a more natural look (if you don't use to much) while the liquid foundation leaves you looking fake and makes you break out more. Love, love, love this stuff.

on 11/10/2011 6:17:00 PM

this powder does'nt brake me out but it also does'nt really cover blemishes. its goood because it doesnt clog your pores however it doesn't really cover redness eather. this product is pretty good so i'll buy it agian