Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

4.2

on 3/29/2018 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

While undergoing treatment for perioral dermatitis (google it), my dermatologist instructed me to switch to powder foundation only, and recommended Neutrogena as a brand. I was very skeptical at first, because my skin is very sensitive and has broken out with use of Neutrogena cosmetics in the past. After reading reviews on powder foundations here, and price comparing, I chose to go ahead and try the Neutrogena.

I purchased mine at Target for approximately $11 USD. The packaging is unimpressive and utilitarian. As pictured, it is a simple snap-closure compact with a flip up compartment below that stores an applicator (that I never use). I took a total stab in the dark with shade and went with Natural Ivory 20, and it matches perfectly. For reference, I wear Maybelline Fit Me in 120 and my MAC shade is NW25-30 depending on season.

Dryness is of course a concern, as I'm middle aged, and my skin is dry to begin with. I use Monistat anti-chafing gel as primer, then use a kabuki brush to apply this powder, and set my makeup with homemade glycerine/H20/witch hazel setting spray. This combination takes away the dryness and "powdery" look, as well as makes the makeup last much longer than typical liquid foundation.

Coverage is not great. It is sheer to medium, and not really buildable. If you need a lot of coverage, this is not something I suggest you use, or find a concealer to use underneath. I am forbidden from using concealer per my derm, but thankfully the treatments are working beautifully, full coverage is not a concern for me. I have always preferred lighter coverage, and like the natural look this provides while still evening out my skin tone and gently covering small flaws.

I have been using it for almost 3 months now, consistently with no breakouts, on skin that is already "angry" and in a fragile state, so that, to me, is testament that it is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I plan on continuing use of this foundation throughout the summer months, when the heat and humidity tend to melt liquid foundation right off your face. This seems like it might be much more durable. Also, it travels much better than liquid foundation and applies much faster, two little things that really make a difference for someone like me who travels a lot and is always short on time.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE Neutrogena powders! I stay away from anything that is not just a basic powder, i.e. spf, skin clearing treatments, age defying ingredients. I have super sensitive skin and I really cannot use a lot of the products out there however, I can always count on Neutrogena. I was looking for my usual Healthy Skin pressed powder which is another review but I decided to try the Mineral Pressed Powder. This one without spf is really hard to find which sucks because this is the one the I love. I use Classic Ivory 10, it's the lightest shade and it's a nice slightly neutral/warm shade. I have really cool, fair skin and it works well with my complexion. It covers the redness and any blemishes that I have and does not flake or make my dry skin look papery. After applying it, I usually gently pat the product down so that it looks a little more natural on my skin. I've used this one for about 3 months and I would definitely repurchase.

on 4/12/2013 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I apply this every morning to my T-zone over bare skin or liquid foundation/bb cream. Can't speak to it as a foundation, but as a setting/finishing powder it works great. It is invisible on the skin and does away with shine.

One lippie off because the compact broke.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Another Neutrogena product I have used for years. I like this as a cheap alternative to Clinique's Almost Powder foundation.

This is a nice light well blending powder that does not cake or creep into fine lines. It mattes the skin but never looks chalky.

The only complaint I have is I hate the packaging. I prefer the traditional clam shell type.

Otherwise this is a great light finishing powder for anyone with slightly dry to slightly oily skin. I would not use it as a foundation as the coverage is way to sheer. But it is a great powder with sunscreen which is very hard to find.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this powder off and on for a few years now. I have tried other powders and products that I have liked (Physicians Formula, MAC) but I keep coming back to this one because it is affordable, reliable, and it doesn't cause breakouts. It doesn't last all day and it often is not enough coverage if you have any scars or blemishes whatsoever, but it feels clean on the face, keeps my oil in check for the most part, contains SPF, and is a perfect color match for my skin. I'm a C4 and I use Natural Beige. I just discovered Physician's Formula BB Cream and started using that as a primer and then use a bit of the bb cream concealer wand on problem areas and finish with a light dusting of this powder and it looks better than anything I have ever used. My skin literally glows all day long. If I were just rating this product alone, I would give it a lower rating, but I don't think you will find many powders that can be worn alone, unless it is Studio Fix or unless you have perfect skin. I would recommend this to other peeps with oily or sensitive skin with the caveat that you should probably try a foundation underneath or a bb cream if you don't like wearing a ton of product on your face.

on 12/13/2012 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Not a huge fan of this powder, it is too powdery, which obviously... it's a powder! But I have found powders, like the Milani Multitask powder (my current fav) which look much more natural. Especially considering how light the coverage is, this foundation looks WAY too fake. So yea... this just really wasn't a good powder for me :(

on 4/15/2011 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My skin took a turn for the worse about 6 months. At the most, I used concealer under my eyes and on the occasional dark spot. Now, I have a face full of hyperpigmentation and acne. Absolutely horrible. So as I am working with a dermatologist to clear this horrible mess up, I have been on the hunt for a good foundation and/or concealer to cover the marks. So far I have tried dermablend, covergirl sensitive clean foundation, clinique, and korres mineral foundation. See my reviews for those if you are interested.

My skin is very very acne prone and very very sensitive. I did read the reviews on here for this foundation, but I took them with a grain of salt because some really acne prone people loved this but others hated it. So I tried it for four days. I use vanicream sport spf 35 which is NOT a matte sunblock and it can get greasy when the proper amount is used. However, this foundation clung really well to the vanicream and balanced out the greasiness. Although it says sheer, a few layers actually covered my really bad hyperpigmentation issues and I did not need a concealer. I used a cotton ball for application, it actually worked really well. Plus I never double dipped, I used a fresh cotton ball each time to keep the makeup clean. But, after a few hours my face would itch, but I just started using a new prescription, so I thought that had something to do with it. I did get new pimples during this time, but since I am dealing with full-blown acne, it is really hard to tell whether a product breaks me out or if I am just breaking out!! HOWEVER, I always pull my foundation down to my neck and face. I NEVER, and I do mean NEVER break out on my neck and VERY RARELY on my chest. With this foundation, my neck and chest itched along with my face.....and BAM, PIMPLES ON MY NECK!!!! So yes, now I know that this product was the cause of the itching (I do not use the topical prescription on my neck or chest) and the horrible new pimples. I also hated that the product had parabens, as I am trying to step away from that, but I was willing to compromise for one product if it worked well, BUT IT DIDN'T!!!!!!!

Also, I hit the pan within 4 days!! That is crazy!! A total waste of money!!

on 2/14/2011 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have never liked wearing liquid foundations. No matter how light or sheer a brand claims to be, I just cannot stand the feeling of them on my skin. I have used Bare Escentuals mineral foundation for years but was never really happy with the sheen that product has. Neutrogena products have always been hit and miss with me, and this is definitely a big hit. I have been using this every day for several months now and I find this to give me just the type of coverage I look for. I buff it on with a medium-sized, fairly dense kabuki brush and find that I can easily control the amount of coverage I need and that it is very buildable. It does an excellent job of evening out my skin tone and never feels cakey or heavy. It feels like my skin can breathe. I also like that it provides more of a matte finish. I will continue to repurchase as I believe this truly does wonders in helping achieve that flawless look.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Summertime is a time when my skin will not agree with a liquid foundation (my usual/previous foundation medium) as I think most are the same.
So I went looking for a good powder foundation and read the reviews on the Mineral Sheers foundations.
Neutrogena has always been pretty good and my skin agrees; haven't had any problems with their products so far.

I was afraid that my skin would turn out flaky with using powders, but oddly that's what was happening with the liquids I was using... they were way prominent and things were overall icky.

Anyway I had gotten Natural Ivory for myself. It was a pretty good match and actually a little darker than I expected... usually a little lighter is best with foundations. But this was ok... so if you think that it will go on extra light and powdery looking just because it is a powder, don't worry about it with these Mineral Sheers powders; the color you see is reliable.

It comes with a sponge under the actual foundation lid. I found that the sponge allowed for more coverage but it felt kind of weird so I opted for my own kabuki brush. I just wanted something light (Accutane, thank you) but that gave my skin a freshness and consistent evenness throughout. This definitely gave me that. I do have some deep pores from previous acne problems on the sides of my face but this masks any redness and such. I also kinda got over thinking about them.
I love looking at myself before and after I apply this because it makes you look 100% better and fresher!

I would recommend this to anyone wanting something light, not likely to cause any bad reactions, and that makes you look more fresh, awake, smooth, and even. If you have issues with flakyness I doubt it would be this product... you need to exfoliate your skin regularly

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

If u like BE but cant use becouse u had a reaction 2 it u will like this. If u like a full cover I dont think u will like this it gives cover but not for somethings like a dark blemish but if u dont need something that heavy this is grate. O yeah it dose keep the shine & oil down but I do use a primer with it (BE primer).