Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

4.1

on 3/10/2016 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this in Classic Ivory, which has quite a clear yellow undertone and I'm super glad for that. It's not my perfect match, but it still matches really well. Besides, as the name suggests, the coverage is truly sheer, so even when the shade's a bit off, I can still get away with that. I only use it on my good skin days, when I don't have a lot of blemishes I want to cover, but for under eye darkness and other even mild discolourations, I would have to use a concealer. I still like it, because the main issue that I have is a lot of redness on my face, and the yellow undertone helps cancel it out quite well. So I reckon it's most suitable for people who's got good skin and prefer a light weight, natural, light coverage foundation and prefer to spot conceal over full coverage foundation.
The biggest beef I have with this is first of all, the coverage is literally very sheer. With a buffing brush (I've tried it with both the Real Techniques Buffing brush as well as the Expert Face brush, with both circular buffing and stamping motions), I cannot build up pass a very very light medium coverage. The good thing about it is it doesn't cake up very easily and are quite forgiving. When I first apply it, it may appear a bit powdery, I look flat, which is not something I like at all. But after a while, it soaks up a bit of moisture and oil on my face, and with an extra helping of mist, it completely melts into my skin. The finish is very natural, it just looks like I've got really good, healthy skin. I wouldn't say it's dewy, shiny or even satiny, it just looks like skin, my pores are not covred very well though, but they're minimised to a more acceptable degree. I was quite surprised because this is my first powder foundation ever, and I just could not believe that powder can offer such a finish. However, another problem arises. This foundation is very very very very dry. It feels dry in the pan, it doesn't swatch very well, and I must always mosisturise extra carefully prior to application, or else I would look like a dry overly powdered mess. The issue can be easily resolved by applying with a wet sponge, and I found that way I can immediately achieve the natural, skin-like finish without the setting spray. It's also easier to get the most coverage out of it in this fashion, but even so, since the powder is so dry, even with a damp sponge, I really have to use a bit of strength and scrape into the powder to pick up any product at all, it can be quite a struggle.
Packaging-wise, the powder compact is not compact at all. Due to the compartment for the mirror and the sponge, it's very big and bulky. I originally wanted to switch to powder foundations because travelling with liquid foundation bottles is too much of a pain, and this compact doesn't fulfill that. To make matter worse, the oil control is less than average, even with my usual trusted setting powder, I can see myself getting oily at around 2-3 hours, which means its oil control is even worse than some of my liquid foundations. At 6-7 hours an several blots and even extra sprays, it begins to break down, most visibly between my brows, on my cheeks and my pores look horrible. Double whammy, the powder is too dry for dry skin, and not enough for oily skin (I'm combination). Removing it is very easy though, so I use it on days when I feel quite good, I want to put something on but don't want to bother that much, and don't have the strength or the time to perform the usual rigorous cleansing ritual that liquid foundations would always require.
I got it on sale at a very good price, it's quite a good place to start and learn my ways around powder foundations I guess, so I don't regret it too terribly. But would I repurchase this? No I think not.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

I had this in my drawer in Natural Ivory 02 for some time. After trying Too Faced Cocoa Powder Foundation and not wanting talc in my face powder, I dug this out. For the life of me I can't recall why I had stopped using it. I tried it twice this week actually using the sponge that comes with it and it worked great! Gave me a matte finish without looking cakey, powdery or settling into lines. Way superior to the Too Faced for a third the price. I looked up the ingredients and low and behold no talc! I hate a made-up look which I got with Too Faced but Neutrogena looked much more natural. I think it must be the talc that gives the artificial powdery look. I used this over exfoliated moisturized skin then added blush and concealer on some spots. Coverage was light to moderate. I find that if I put concealer on first then the powder rubs it off and I have to reapply anyway, making it too thick. Anyway for a talc free product I would say this is a good deal. I ordered new brushes so I will try it with a brush but am actually ok with the sponge included. Wish I could return the Too Faced.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Nice light-to-medium coverage mineral makeup. I was afraid the Classic Ivory shade would be too dark on me but it goes on lighter than it looks in the compact. Gives a nice, natural look. I apply with a brush, not the applicator that comes in the compact.

on 1/19/2014 7:44:00 PM

This foundation is ok. I am still on my quest to find a replacement for Maybelline Purestay powder foundation. I am more convinced all the time that this is going to be a tough thing to find.

This has very minimal coverage. I certainly wasn't expecting full coverage, but I was disappointed in amount of coverage. It did not even out redness well at all. It is more powdery looking on my skin than I would like. Some powders manage to be somewhat creamy, but not this one. I found it doesn't hold up too well during the day, fades away more quickly than I think it should.

But what really makes me sure that I won't buy it again is the fact that after using it for a while, I start getting a lot of pimples. I quit using it for a while, my skin cleared up, and then when I went back to it, I started experiencing the same breakouts. I am looking pretty rough right now, more pimples at one time than I have had in ages. So this time I am going to throw it away, so I am not tempted to go back and give it another try.

on 11/3/2013 3:08:00 PM

I'm definitely a powder person and this is good stuff! I use it over my foundation, sometimes to set it with a fluffy brush and sometimes I use the provided sponge to pat it on. It lasts on my skin all day, lasts forever in the compact, has a good mirror, very bendable. Very happy with this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!

on 2/26/2013 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I really like this foundation and I can say that it's my go-to if all else fails. The powder is nice and smooth. It gives light to medium coverage so it's buildable. It covers redness and uneven skin tone pretty well. I love how it lasts all day on me; by evening you may need to touch up but it isn't a big deal. I have dry skin but if you moisturize well, you will be fine. However, packing on the foundation it's expected it will look a bit dull and cakey so I use mac fix plus which makes a beautiful dewy complexion. With fix plus, my foundation lasts from day to night.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $7-$10 US Dollars, which is a good price for DS foundations.
COVERAGE: Light-Medium, I find it to be quite buildable.
FINISH: Semi-matte with a slight sheen that most mineral makeups give. I find the finish very natural and quite lovely :)
TEXTURE: Soft, seems finely milled.
SCENT: None
SPF: Yes, 20
LASTING POWER: This lasts all day on me. I have never had a problem with it breaking down, or getting excessively oily. It will fade slightly as the day goes on, but not to the point where it is completely gone.
SHADES: I usually get this in "Nude". They really need more shades in this foundation, the darkest shade is not NEARLY deep enough.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope, has a very gently formula, as it claims.
PACKAGING: I dont like the packaging. I wish they would skip the bulky compact packaging and put more product in instead, because I find that I run out it in less than a month.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes, when I have better skin I dont need to use as much to get the coverage I want.
FINAL VERDICT: This is a really great DS mineral makeup. Try it out!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is an average powder that is sheer to medium buildable coverage. I intentionally bought this powder due to the SPF so that I can apply this over my face when I needed to reapply sunscreen. This powder is okay. If youre wearing sunglasses or glasses, it will definitely make it noticeable that youre wearing makeup, it leaves marks and indentations in the makeup... Overall it leaves a beautiful natural sheer finish that I like for staying out all day without any touchups.