Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive age: 36-43
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!

on 9/28/2011 10:48:00 PM

This is my first time trying a mineral powder foundation, and so far I'm happy with this product. My skin tends to be kind of dry, so I was a bit concerned this might emphasize fine lines and wrinkles, but so far this has not been the case. The product also does not irritate my skin which is a problem with some products. I do like the coverage, and at this point would buy again in the future. I was looking for a non-liquid foundation for when I travel, and so far this one is working well.

on 5/9/2010 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product: Neutrogena Mineral Sheers, Powder Foundation, SPF 20, Natural Ivory 20, was my first attempt at using a mineral/powder foundation.

The product felt thick and powdery when applied and looked cakey reminiscent of all of the excess foundation and powder applications from the 80's. However, within about an hour, it appeared more natural. With time, the moisture from my skin must have started to mesh with the powder making it less powder-like on my face.

My skin becomes more dry this time of year from lots of bicycling so it's likely that I shouldn't be using this type of product at all during the warmer months. However, I do need good coverage--freckles, sun spots, etc., and this product delivered. (My largest concern with one of my current favorite liquid foundations is lack of coverage.) And, I need stronger sun protection this time of year--layering SPF 20 foundation on top of a sun-shielding moisturizer usually works well without the drawback of feeling too heavy like when using a single, higher SPF product.

I also decided that Natural Ivory 20 is too light for my skin. It appeared okay in the store when I held my hand up against the color-selector swatches on the store display--my hands are more tan than my face, but after getting it home, opening it up and applying it, it's definitely way too light (which could also be part of the problem with the cakey appearance.)

A real life problem that this product solved was the ability to travel. I'm constantly looking for sample-size products and powder forms because getting all of my liquids, gels, and creams through airport security is a real burden. Because I travel weekly, I am always on the look out for more travel-friendly alternatives. This product is a powder that replaces something that is normally a liquid, and as such, it frees up some extra "baggie" space for other liquid products.

I considered trying a darker shade, but have since decided to find another liquid product instead as my skin continues to become more dry as my time spent outdoors increases exponentially with the rising temps.

My overall impression of this product is that it's a great price, nice packaging and may work well for someone with oilier skin. It delivered good coverage and the thick powdery appearance decreased given a little wear time even on dry skin. I did not experience any increase in acne or other skin issues.

Bonus points: it went through airport security without needing to be "baggied" along with all of my other liquid products.

Cautions: if you have skin that tends to be on the drier side, you may want to reconsider; and find a store that will let you sample it first because the display color-selector didn't work well in my case.

on 3/26/2009 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I didn't like this product. It dries out my skin and settles into my fine lines. I guess it would be good for touch ups throughout the day, but that's about it.

on 1/11/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This is my daily foundation. It does lack staying power, but for me this is overcome by the stuff not breaking me out. It's more important that the skin under the foundation looks good. In other words the effect really lasts because I'm not embarrassed by what I see when I don't have it on. the other thing is I can really get this on quickly and run out of the house. I do feel the light is too light and the next color is too dark, so I mix a bit. Ideally I'd love to find a tinted moisturizer to use under this which would probably be the perfect combo.

on 11/23/2008 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to find a cheaper brand of pressed mineral powder/foundation than Fresh Face Luster, which is why I bought Neutrogena. The bar was set incredibly high, because Fresh is amazing. Luminous finish, and it's long lasting, offering flawless though light coverage. But it's also $45 and within six weeks of using, I had used enough of the stuff that the center of the pan was already showing. Plus, it's not a good foundation for traveling, as the top and bottom aren't attached and the powder is very soft.

Which brings me to Neutrogena's Pressed Powder Foundation. The lightest color (classic ivory) was a good match and the powder feels velvety and finely milled. (I'm a MAC NC15 to 20, depending on the season.)

But the Neutrogena's not flattering on me. Not chalky, but it's flat and makes my skin look dull. And my skin isn't dull without makeup (I've been doing lactic acids peels, and they're been so helpful). In fact, my naked skin looks better than it does with the Neutrogena Powder, whereas the Fresh makes my skin look more luminous.

Maybe the Neutrogena might work as a touch up powder mid-day to blot shine, but it's not working for me as a foundation.