Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

on 3/29/2018 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

While undergoing treatment for perioral dermatitis (google it), my dermatologist instructed me to switch to powder foundation only, and recommended Neutrogena as a brand. I was very skeptical at first, because my skin is very sensitive and has broken out with use of Neutrogena cosmetics in the past. After reading reviews on powder foundations here, and price comparing, I chose to go ahead and try the Neutrogena.

I purchased mine at Target for approximately $11 USD. The packaging is unimpressive and utilitarian. As pictured, it is a simple snap-closure compact with a flip up compartment below that stores an applicator (that I never use). I took a total stab in the dark with shade and went with Natural Ivory 20, and it matches perfectly. For reference, I wear Maybelline Fit Me in 120 and my MAC shade is NW25-30 depending on season.

Dryness is of course a concern, as I'm middle aged, and my skin is dry to begin with. I use Monistat anti-chafing gel as primer, then use a kabuki brush to apply this powder, and set my makeup with homemade glycerine/H20/witch hazel setting spray. This combination takes away the dryness and "powdery" look, as well as makes the makeup last much longer than typical liquid foundation.

Coverage is not great. It is sheer to medium, and not really buildable. If you need a lot of coverage, this is not something I suggest you use, or find a concealer to use underneath. I am forbidden from using concealer per my derm, but thankfully the treatments are working beautifully, full coverage is not a concern for me. I have always preferred lighter coverage, and like the natural look this provides while still evening out my skin tone and gently covering small flaws.

I have been using it for almost 3 months now, consistently with no breakouts, on skin that is already "angry" and in a fragile state, so that, to me, is testament that it is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I plan on continuing use of this foundation throughout the summer months, when the heat and humidity tend to melt liquid foundation right off your face. This seems like it might be much more durable. Also, it travels much better than liquid foundation and applies much faster, two little things that really make a difference for someone like me who travels a lot and is always short on time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Nice light-to-medium coverage mineral makeup. I was afraid the Classic Ivory shade would be too dark on me but it goes on lighter than it looks in the compact. Gives a nice, natural look. I apply with a brush, not the applicator that comes in the compact.

on 11/3/2013 3:08:00 PM

I'm definitely a powder person and this is good stuff! I use it over my foundation, sometimes to set it with a fluffy brush and sometimes I use the provided sponge to pat it on. It lasts on my skin all day, lasts forever in the compact, has a good mirror, very bendable. Very happy with this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Another Neutrogena product I have used for years. I like this as a cheap alternative to Clinique's Almost Powder foundation.

This is a nice light well blending powder that does not cake or creep into fine lines. It mattes the skin but never looks chalky.

The only complaint I have is I hate the packaging. I prefer the traditional clam shell type.

Otherwise this is a great light finishing powder for anyone with slightly dry to slightly oily skin. I would not use it as a foundation as the coverage is way to sheer. But it is a great powder with sunscreen which is very hard to find.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $7-$10 US Dollars, which is a good price for DS foundations.
COVERAGE: Light-Medium, I find it to be quite buildable.
FINISH: Semi-matte with a slight sheen that most mineral makeups give. I find the finish very natural and quite lovely :)
TEXTURE: Soft, seems finely milled.
SCENT: None
SPF: Yes, 20
LASTING POWER: This lasts all day on me. I have never had a problem with it breaking down, or getting excessively oily. It will fade slightly as the day goes on, but not to the point where it is completely gone.
SHADES: I usually get this in "Nude". They really need more shades in this foundation, the darkest shade is not NEARLY deep enough.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope, has a very gently formula, as it claims.
PACKAGING: I dont like the packaging. I wish they would skip the bulky compact packaging and put more product in instead, because I find that I run out it in less than a month.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes, when I have better skin I dont need to use as much to get the coverage I want.
FINAL VERDICT: This is a really great DS mineral makeup. Try it out!

on 5/11/2012 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for a couple of years and am really satisfied. I use a concealer underneath and then apply the Mineral Sheers over that. It's got an SPF20 but no noticeable fragrance, which my highly reactive, rosacea skin appreciates! No itching, burning or breakouts.
Right now I'm using #50 soft beige, which is a nice color but a tad light for my fair/medium complexion, I think. No matter, this product is really natural looking and wears nicely (although basically EVERY product melts off my very oily skin by the end of the day). I'd like to carry it in my purse for touch-ups, but the sponge applicator they included makes the packaging WAY too bulky for that. Too bad.
Speaking of that cheapo sponge, it'll certainly get the powder on your face, but a nice brush works better and looks more natural. Just continue to layer the application until you get the coverage you need. Sometimes I'll use a liquid foundation first, and then just use this as finishing powder for a flawless look. Great product!

on 2/2/2012 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got this product a few years ago free with a gift bag from Oprah magazine.
I have used several different mineral foundations I liked, but did not care for the coverage on this one, nor how this looked on me. It was far too sheer (yes I can see the name, but I didn't buy it folks, just giving my review having received it lol), and it made my face feel drier when its already quite dry. However, I have repurchased this and will again; I have a very green vein near one eye which is prominent and impossible to cover. Cream concealers, from Dermablend to LM, and so on, somehow don't do the trick though they work well on other areas of my face. Other brands of mineral powders also did not work as well though they offered more coverage generally.

So I am not sure why this works so well but at times if I forget when I look in the mirror my face seems "off." Then I go back and apply this and I look so much better! The vein is that distracting but with this covering it, its not something anyone would notice on their own lest I point it out. Be careful to swipe, not dig at or be too rough with this, it will break. But even then I just use the broken bits in an empty little sifter container and its perfect!

This also works well on the greenish/purple darkness on inner eye areas, even better than high end concealers.

One thing to add, a male friend of mine used this now to conceal a reddish scar on his face. The lack of opacity and coverage when compared to say BE or other mineral foundations is perfect for him because as a man he doesn't want it to be apparent he's wearing makeup. Its also matte and stays in place all day plus its easy enough to just buff on with a brush in seconds. I told him to try this almost 2 years ago after trying several different concealers to no avail, all looked unnatural or obvious or both. This has worked very well for him too and he is buying a back up. I also told him my tip of spritzing some water on after application to set and to take off any powder-iness. Looks better that way in my opinion.

on 11/6/2011 12:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Pros:
-Light-Medium coverage (I used a little concealer, and it looks great!
-VERY natural looking coverage
-It has an EXTREMELY slight, slight shimmer. I like this because it gives my skin a healthy glow :)
-I would say the finish is satin. Matte/dewy.
It has not ONCE broken me out :D
-Color match is almost spot on to my skin tone
-Lasts on my face for a good amount of time (I also use ELF mineral face primer underneath)
Cons:
-I hate the packaging, I wish they would just skip the sponge/mirror and put more product in instead. I rather spend more money on the actual product then fancy packaging
-Adding on to my previous con, it doesn't last me a very long time :( I want my foundation to last me atleast a month. This only lasts me 2-3 weeks.

on 9/28/2011 10:48:00 PM

This is my first time trying a mineral powder foundation, and so far I'm happy with this product. My skin tends to be kind of dry, so I was a bit concerned this might emphasize fine lines and wrinkles, but so far this has not been the case. The product also does not irritate my skin which is a problem with some products. I do like the coverage, and at this point would buy again in the future. I was looking for a non-liquid foundation for when I travel, and so far this one is working well.