Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Combination age: 36-43
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.6

I do like this product although nude was a bit dark and slightly orange for my light medium yellow skin tone, I cant use it alone so at first I did not like it but with moisturizer or primer underneath worked great!

on 2/17/2015 4:34:00 PM

Tricky to apply, but does give med. coverage. By the end of the day it settled funny in wrinkles & on pimples. I would not recommend this.

Since I just bought my 3rd compact of this I thought I should take a minute to review. I switched to mineral makeup after finally figuring out that my skin hates silicones and being tired of break outs all the time. My skin is sensitive and rosacea prone with redness in my nose and cheeks. This has improved my skin so much that I find myself using less and less as time goes on. I do use the lightest shade, 10, which is a good match, but I could see extremely fair girls having a rough time matching their color. I apply this over sunscreen with my Urban Decay optical blurring brush, as I'm not a fan of the sponge. If I need a little extra coverage I'll use a flat top brush. One coat over my entire face and a second coat over my red areas covers well. My skin tone appears even, but my freckles are still there, which is a nice natural look for me. It lasts all day, with a touch up over red areas in the evening. It doesn't dry out or irritate my face, and doesn't sink into pores or fine lines. No oxidation at all. I could see it looking powdery if you layer too much, but not a problem with light layers. The compact is bulky, and if you drop it the powder will shatter, unfortunately. It is more expensive than some, but I'll pay for a quality ds product. Walgreens and Meijer frequently put it on sale for bogo half off, so I stock up then. Overall I'm very happy with this and will continue to buy. EDIT 1/30/14: switched to Pur Minerals, as the light is a better shade for me. This was too yellow, and the Pur Minerals has better coverage.

on 12/6/2012 8:04:00 PM

I use this for setting my foundation or BB cream. Good product, I just wish the packaging was less tacky, but let's be realistic - not going to happen for the price.
I will repurchase.

on 1/19/2009 10:59:00 AM

I got soft beige which was the closest to my winter skin tone, but not as close as the MUFE 125. Unfortunately, even with a light dusting, this powder EMPHASIZES all my fine lines and although I looked good from afar because it did even out my skin tone and brightened my face, from starting about 12 inches away, it just made me look a lot older---NOT the purpose of a foundation. With the amount of powder I put on, I doubt that i would have an SPF close to the 20 it's supposed to give. I will not be buying this again.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Edit:

O.k., maybe I'm just temporarily color-blind. (Or the color looks different in ultraviolet light.) I saw the display for this product again, but in a drug store with much more diffuse lighting. Guess what. 20, not 10, is the lightest shade. (Classic ivory is the lightest shade.)

It's pinker than 10, but so much lighter, that it makes this a wearable foundation. 20 will oxidize a little, but not much.

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to find this in a wearable color--this stuff doesn't cause breakouts and will calm down your skin better than any other foundation I have used. (None of that sneaky, "Foundation is o.k. for three weeks, and then suddenly breaks you out terribly.")

Note that this is the only foundation I've currently said I will re-purchase.

Hats off to Neutrogena. This is very good stuff.

This is my prior review:

Good packaging. Nice finish when applied. The lightest color is slightly dark when first applied and then darker at the end of the day.

But, it doesn't break me out, it's easy to apply, and the color when first applied is pretty good. (If you are incredibly fair with neutral, or in my case, green, tones, you will love this stuff.)

I'm settling on this now--it may be time to investigate mattifiers to combat the color change.

Neutrogena should be proud of this. Could we have one shade lighter, please?

Edit: I have to agree with the reviewer who said that this turns orange. After about two hours it's way too peachy.

I have used BE Fairly Light for years. I was hesitant to switch, but read that this has an time-release antioxidant - which BE does not. I bought Classic Ivory and was a little worried it would be too matte and look chalky. My skin is slightly oily but acne free. So not long after putting it on, it isn't matte but actually does seem to help keep shine down a little longer than other products I have used.

I like the packaging for the same reasons that others seem not to like it. I really don't like it when my sponge sits on top of the powder because oils from my skin seem to build up very quickly on the sponge - a matter of a couple days! I can see how it's a bit of a hassle to flip back and forth when you are on the go, but to have clean powder, I think it's worth the bother.

I did a test on my inner wrist of my BE and this. I noticed that the BE was more luminous BUT it clearly made creases more visible! If my opinion changes on this product, I'll update my review, but for right now the light coverage and being half the cost of BE makes it a winner for me. I should also note that I have small veins in my cheeks that show slightly and this covers that well but does not irritate that sensitive area. Yay!

on 2/29/2008 9:49:00 AM

OMG! My HG @ last. I have been looking forever for the "perfect" powder/foundation. I was hesitant to jump on the mineral bandwagon because of so many mixed reviews but thought I would give this a try. The coverage is perfect, either on bare skin or over moisturizer, and it lasts all day - I haven't had to touch up during the day (although this may change when the weather gets warmer). Great stuff, drugstores have come along way since I was a teenager!!
BTW - I bought Natural Ivory 20.

on 2/10/2008 10:18:00 AM

Used for: one month. I'm a pale olive C2, like Alima mmu in Olive-0 probably best of anything I've tried. PROS: Inexpensive, "creamy" powder foundation. Can be evenly applied with a brush or heavier with a sponge. Doesn't seem to oxidize when I'm sweaty or if applied over a creamy sunscreen. Good coverage, similar to Studio Fix on me, although probably not as long lasting. Forgiving for drugstore makeup- my olive undertones mean that many drugstore foundations are too pink/peach/grey on my skin. Decent amount of product, easy to find, Neutrogena is often on sale.
PACKAGING: Sponge is under the product. Not "dryable". No vents, like some powder foundations (NARS). I wish drugstore companies made refillable compacts (NARS, Stila). Kind of a waste of plastic, given how substantial the compact is. Space enough to jam a clean wedge sponge inside (I toss sponges frequently).
CONS: No testers. It drives me batty that you can't try things in drugstores, especially since they aren't exactly "cheap" anymore. I'm trying to buy less as I get older and this often means higher prices so I can be sure that something is right for me. Also, not many shades- someone who is an NC in about my shade might find two colors that only "sort of" work. May be too creamy for oilier skins/younger skins than mine. I can also imagine that this is easy to over apply (Stila is incredibly forgiving for this, imo). I think that powder foundation, especially pressed, should be a mistake proof product you can apply as a passenger in a car or in the parking lot on your way into work (done more times than I care to admit, but NOT while actually driving). A good powder, plus tinted balm, and you're set for the day.
Edit: I still like this product, but I think I may need the lighter shade. I'm looking sort of "peachy" by the end of a work day, and not necessarily in a good way!

on 1/22/2008 1:29:00 PM

On the plus side, this product does not have talc in it, which other drugstore brand mineral foundations do contain. The shade is also quite nice and sheer, which I like. Also, the packaging (while it takes some getting used to) is very portable. On the down side, has anyone noticed that this product does not claim to offer any SPF? Other mineral foundations (mainly non-drugstore brands) seem to offer this, so I would've felt better if this product could provide this. I know it's ideal to wear sunscreen under mineral/powder products anyway, but for days when you're in a rush, it would've made me feel better to know I could just use this and go.