Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Other
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.3

on 6/25/2014 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I bought this on a whim because I really needed a powder foundation that was affordable and budget friendly, as opposed to my usual MAC studio fix powder foundation.

My usual experiences with neutrogena have always been pleasant, plus this powder foundation is mineral, with it being talc free,fragrance free, paraben free,etc.
I noticed it said sheer on it, however I decided to give it a try anyway.

The packaging is very nice actually. For a drug store product it's very sturdy and you can tell it's not so cheap as other brand packaging. The mirror in the compact is great, and the sponge applicator too! However, I use my MAC sponge applicator with it and I find it works even better.

First, before all the application, I put on my usual day moisturizer, my ELF primer (which is great, wrote a review on it btw) and some pimple cream is needed.
Then I apply the make up.

The coverage is amazing. Even if it says sheer, it's light to medium coverage but you can definitely build it up WITHOUT it being Cakey or heavy. Trust me. I built up the coverage today. And it looks even smoother than MAC studio fix. If you need more coverage, I'd recommend putting concealer on the areas that need it. Like under eye circles, blemishes, etc. Then just pat the powder foundation on!

On certain areas that need more coverage on top of the concealer, just dab the powder foundation on repeatedly. I can say it works because I did all of this today. Haha.

With this product I really don't need foundation. Today, I'm only wearing this powder and I honestly look and feel even better! No more foundation for me.

I put my make up on early in the morning today, and it's still fresh till now! It is now 6:00 pm. It feels so light. Like my skin is actually breathing, compared to how I feel with studio fix on. My color is an NC 30, and with neutrogena powder foundation my color is natural ivory. Which matches perfectly. The price is okay, I can't complain since it offers good performance and is a heck of a lot cheaper than MAC.

I will definitely repurchase this again!

on 10/25/2009 5:37:00 PM

i just put this stuff on--its great! it really does make my face look airbrushed, as well as it covers up red splotches, acne, and scars really well! other powders make the above STAND OUT.
i don't know how it will look later on in the day when my face gets oily, but i will update this when i know. but so far, its wonderful! and well worth the money!

on 7/13/2009 2:38:00 PM

Love this mineral powder and this one as apposed to the lose has no bismuth which can cause itching for a lot of people.... the staying power is great and the color selection is superb... is has a soft focus look and doesn't accentuate pores or fine lines... I have tried so many mineral based foundations and this one doesn't irritate my skin and I always get compliments....the coverage is also a major plus I want a bit more coverage but don't want the cakey look this has the perfect marriage of both love this and hg for me.

(if you want a natural application I suggest applying this with a big powder brush if you want more coverage apply with the sponge incuded)

I like a medium coverage foundation. I am currently using some sheer ones for summer just to even things out but thought from the reviews that this would be a good try because the coverage is buildable and so many seemed pleased with the product.

As a foundation this product blows. I don't get the positive reviews at all but I also know things work different for different people. For me this stinks. It covers NOTHING. I have tried it with sponge and with brush and I really get nothing but powder on face and plenty of red showing through. I think my old color id and almost makeup cover better than this.

I may keep it as a finishing powder.

on 1/14/2008 5:41:00 PM

I bought this in Classic Ivory, I have fair to light yellow-based skin and the color match is pretty good. Classic Ivory is more yellow-based than other Ivory colors, which was good for me.

If I use the sponge applicator it comes with, I get decent coverage in one application and just go over areas that need more coverage with a second application. I haven't tried applying it with a brush, maybe I would get a sheerer application. I've also applied it with Jane Iredale's flocked sponge and I get an even application with that as well.

This foundation stays on all day and doesn't seem to oxidize and turn orange on me. It covers up dark spots pretty well, but doesn't look like a mask on me. I apply a bit extra to cover dark circles under my eyes, but I have to use a good moisturizer under my eyes so that the foundation doesn't accentuate any lines.

The color may be a tad light on me, but the next color, Natural Ivory, would be too dark and maybe too pink. The only thing that I don't care a lot for is how the mirror is underneath the foundation pan, where the sponge is stored. It's a bit awkward to load the sponge, then flip the pan to get to the mirror. This is worth a try though, it's affordable, doesn't make my skin itch, and is packaged well for travel.

on 1/6/2008 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This is the worst mineral foundation I have ever tried and I've tried alot! The powder goes on unevenly.......it does not even go on as good as a powder compact....just awful do not waste your money like I just did!

on 10/26/2006 11:16:00 AM

I'm one of the few who hasn't had any problems with this product. I used this product as my sole foundation during the summer, and it worked well for me. Currently, I'm using Neutrogena liquid foundation since the weather has cooled, and I'm using the mineral sheers as a loose powder over my foundation.
Pros:
1. I've never had trouble getting the product onto my face; as a matter of fact, I get a lot of coverage with it. I've also had no irritation whatsoever with the brush...it actually feels soft to me.
2. Small, streamlined packaging. Great for purse and travel.
3. Doesn't irritate my skin or cause pimples.
4. Good alternative to liquid or mousse foundation if you're looking for coverage that isn't quite so heavy, especially in the summer time.
5. Doesn't turn me pink or orange.

Cons:
1. Can be messy. I've noticed that the powder flies everywhere when I apply it, leaving a layer of powder on the collar of my bathrobe and on my bathroom counter.
2. A little expensive for drug-store cosmetic (11.99 at CVS in Alabama)
3. Almost no color choices for women of color. I'm a fair-skinned African-American, and the Medium to Tan shade works for me. There are no shades for anyone any darker than that, unfortunately.

I am one of the few who likes this product. When I put it on, it appears that nothing's going on, but later when I look in the mirror, my skin has a finished,yet natural, look, just what I want in a foundation. The best way I found to apply is by facing my face up toward the ceiling and brushing that way, so that the foundation powder is flowing down into the brush. This is a great everyday go to work foundation...I have other high-end favorites, but when it's just a regular workday, this works great!

on 7/4/2006 12:04:00 AM

I bought this in the medium to light shade, and this seriously does NOTHING for me. I don't really get what it's supposed to do (add a shimmer?), but it does nothing and adds no shimmer, and I can't even tell it's on my face. I feel like I'm blushing on clear powder. Maybe it's just me, but this product is a mystery. The only reason it's not getting a one is because the packaging is cute, and I might consider buying the bronzer version of this to see if that does anything.

I originally slammed this product when I first purchased it. I hate it as a foundation. It gives no coverage whatsoever. Looked like I was wearing nothing. I almost threw it out but I loved the color of it and couldn't bear to part w/ it. So here it sat until I discovered just using it as sheer setting powder. It's superlight and is just perfect over my MAC face & body foundation. I have norm/dry skin so I really don't need powder but I just love the light reflecting properties of this product. Just a light dusting is all you need. I know it has spf factors but not sure if just a light dusting is going to help w/ spf but hey - it can' hurt. I am actually liking this more then my Bobbi Brown loose powder which can feel too heavy esp in warmer weather. I have warmed up to the packaging as well. I will repurchase this for use as face powder NOT foundation. Give it a try.