Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

We were going great for a few days, and then the breakouts came. Also, I had to reapply a lot and it felt a little itchy and weird...but it looked so clean and nice. Bummer.

on 3/26/2009 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I didn't like this product. It dries out my skin and settles into my fine lines. I guess it would be good for touch ups throughout the day, but that's about it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Eww... it turned me orange! 'nuff said. I won't be buying again for that reason.

on 5/12/2008 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Ok, i don't know what everybody else saw in this product. First of all, coverage: on the sheer side, but if applied with the sponge is medium. Lasting power: lasted about 5 hours but needed a few touch-ups. Overall appearence when wearing: natural beige was orange...applied it to my neck and it looked iffy. After 3 hours my skin looked oily...and it wasn't, this stuff just made it look very oily and weird. Price: $11! For a bad product....thankfully i can still return it! Quality: It didn't give me a rash, made my skin itch a little. Overall: Bad product, made my face look weird, and it was on the high side for a drugstore product.

on 5/9/2010 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product: Neutrogena Mineral Sheers, Powder Foundation, SPF 20, Natural Ivory 20, was my first attempt at using a mineral/powder foundation.

The product felt thick and powdery when applied and looked cakey reminiscent of all of the excess foundation and powder applications from the 80's. However, within about an hour, it appeared more natural. With time, the moisture from my skin must have started to mesh with the powder making it less powder-like on my face.

My skin becomes more dry this time of year from lots of bicycling so it's likely that I shouldn't be using this type of product at all during the warmer months. However, I do need good coverage--freckles, sun spots, etc., and this product delivered. (My largest concern with one of my current favorite liquid foundations is lack of coverage.) And, I need stronger sun protection this time of year--layering SPF 20 foundation on top of a sun-shielding moisturizer usually works well without the drawback of feeling too heavy like when using a single, higher SPF product.

I also decided that Natural Ivory 20 is too light for my skin. It appeared okay in the store when I held my hand up against the color-selector swatches on the store display--my hands are more tan than my face, but after getting it home, opening it up and applying it, it's definitely way too light (which could also be part of the problem with the cakey appearance.)

A real life problem that this product solved was the ability to travel. I'm constantly looking for sample-size products and powder forms because getting all of my liquids, gels, and creams through airport security is a real burden. Because I travel weekly, I am always on the look out for more travel-friendly alternatives. This product is a powder that replaces something that is normally a liquid, and as such, it frees up some extra "baggie" space for other liquid products.

I considered trying a darker shade, but have since decided to find another liquid product instead as my skin continues to become more dry as my time spent outdoors increases exponentially with the rising temps.

My overall impression of this product is that it's a great price, nice packaging and may work well for someone with oilier skin. It delivered good coverage and the thick powdery appearance decreased given a little wear time even on dry skin. I did not experience any increase in acne or other skin issues.

Bonus points: it went through airport security without needing to be "baggied" along with all of my other liquid products.

Cautions: if you have skin that tends to be on the drier side, you may want to reconsider; and find a store that will let you sample it first because the display color-selector didn't work well in my case.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I'm going through a mineral makeup phase at the moment and I've always been a sucker for Neutrogina's foundations, so I thought, why not give this a try?

I found the product was quite good, but really not brilliant. It isn't the best mineral foundation I've ever used by a long shot. I found it a tad cakey-it didn't sink in as well as most other powder foundations tend to do, and I thought that the particles of the powder weren't as tiny as some of the other powders I've tried, so it wasn't very natural looking and it didn't buff in as well as it could have with my kabuki.

Plus I have very fair skin (NW15) which is prone to redness, and the foundation didn't really help to conceal the redness, which was a pity. I would have had to have put on a lot of product to tone down the slight redness, which I wasn't prepared to do because it was just about bordering on being too dark for me (I bought Classic Ivory).

I must admit, the packaging is great though-there's a little sponge and a small mirror inside, which is handy.

Overall, it's an okay product-but I wouldn't buy it again.

on 11/23/2008 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to find a cheaper brand of pressed mineral powder/foundation than Fresh Face Luster, which is why I bought Neutrogena. The bar was set incredibly high, because Fresh is amazing. Luminous finish, and it's long lasting, offering flawless though light coverage. But it's also $45 and within six weeks of using, I had used enough of the stuff that the center of the pan was already showing. Plus, it's not a good foundation for traveling, as the top and bottom aren't attached and the powder is very soft.

Which brings me to Neutrogena's Pressed Powder Foundation. The lightest color (classic ivory) was a good match and the powder feels velvety and finely milled. (I'm a MAC NC15 to 20, depending on the season.)

But the Neutrogena's not flattering on me. Not chalky, but it's flat and makes my skin look dull. And my skin isn't dull without makeup (I've been doing lactic acids peels, and they're been so helpful). In fact, my naked skin looks better than it does with the Neutrogena Powder, whereas the Fresh makes my skin look more luminous.

Maybe the Neutrogena might work as a touch up powder mid-day to blot shine, but it's not working for me as a foundation.

on 3/29/2018 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

While undergoing treatment for perioral dermatitis (google it), my dermatologist instructed me to switch to powder foundation only, and recommended Neutrogena as a brand. I was very skeptical at first, because my skin is very sensitive and has broken out with use of Neutrogena cosmetics in the past. After reading reviews on powder foundations here, and price comparing, I chose to go ahead and try the Neutrogena.

I purchased mine at Target for approximately $11 USD. The packaging is unimpressive and utilitarian. As pictured, it is a simple snap-closure compact with a flip up compartment below that stores an applicator (that I never use). I took a total stab in the dark with shade and went with Natural Ivory 20, and it matches perfectly. For reference, I wear Maybelline Fit Me in 120 and my MAC shade is NW25-30 depending on season.

Dryness is of course a concern, as I'm middle aged, and my skin is dry to begin with. I use Monistat anti-chafing gel as primer, then use a kabuki brush to apply this powder, and set my makeup with homemade glycerine/H20/witch hazel setting spray. This combination takes away the dryness and "powdery" look, as well as makes the makeup last much longer than typical liquid foundation.

Coverage is not great. It is sheer to medium, and not really buildable. If you need a lot of coverage, this is not something I suggest you use, or find a concealer to use underneath. I am forbidden from using concealer per my derm, but thankfully the treatments are working beautifully, full coverage is not a concern for me. I have always preferred lighter coverage, and like the natural look this provides while still evening out my skin tone and gently covering small flaws.

I have been using it for almost 3 months now, consistently with no breakouts, on skin that is already "angry" and in a fragile state, so that, to me, is testament that it is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I plan on continuing use of this foundation throughout the summer months, when the heat and humidity tend to melt liquid foundation right off your face. This seems like it might be much more durable. Also, it travels much better than liquid foundation and applies much faster, two little things that really make a difference for someone like me who travels a lot and is always short on time.

on 11/3/2013 3:08:00 PM

I'm definitely a powder person and this is good stuff! I use it over my foundation, sometimes to set it with a fluffy brush and sometimes I use the provided sponge to pat it on. It lasts on my skin all day, lasts forever in the compact, has a good mirror, very bendable. Very happy with this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!