Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

Active Ingredients:Titanium Dioxide (3%) Inactive Ingredients:Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Silica, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Alumina, Silk Powder, Nylon 12, Propylparaben, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Chrysanthemum Parthenium Flower Extract (Feverfew), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pantothenic Acid, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), May Contain ( /-):, Iron Oxides, Carmine (CI 75470)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall Rating: 4 (eh, I would give it a 3.7 or 3.8 if I could with the rating system)
Price: 4. at $13 for a drugstore brand, price is a bit expensive to me
Packaging Quality: 3 (Organized and works fine)
Would I buy this again? Yes

*NOTE* I have light Asian skintone that is extremely acne prone and oily. I used the color in Classic Ivory. I also used Milk of Magnesia as my primer to control oil and create a smoother canvas to put the powder on.

THE POWDER

1) I wouldn't call it super silky, but I wouldn't call it chalky either. I would say the smoothness is good enough where I don't consider it bad at all. On a scale 1 to 10 (10 being silky smooth), I'd rate this a 6.5 t 7.

2) As others have mentioned, this seems to be yellow-based powder--yay! But I must say, it isn't completely yellow based. I feel that it has some neutrals with it so neutrals and yellows can get away with this product on their skin without looking too off-colored.

3) I needed to use the MoM with this powder. I tried it on without the MoM, and my skin oiled up quicker. Not only that, but the powder didn't look as smooth. I mean, it still is smooth, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't like AS nice with the MoM on.

COVERAGE

1) Not full coverage, not too sheer (unless you apply it lightly). I felt that when I first apply it on over the MoM, it looks heavy, too matte, and too light for my skin. BUT after waiting for the powder to sorta "sink in", the color seems to match my face pretty nicely. It's still on the lighter side, but my face is naturally lighter than my body color, so technically I'm matching my face's actual color, but not my body color.

2) Doesn't necessarily hide my pores/blackheads on my nose, but it sorta "mutes" them. When taking photos, you usually can't see my pores that much because the powder seems to make it look smooth even though if you stood right in front of me, you could still see some pores. But, I find it okay that this powder stays on the light side since I'm not looking for full coverage ( I have other makeup for that). This is good for a "my skin, but much much better and less oily" daily face. Also, I have lots of acne scars (that aren't extremely dark, but dark enough where you notice I have scars) and this powder "mutes" them out, but doesn't completely cover them, which is okay to me. I'll just use some light concealer.

STAYING POWER

With using MoM, on a regular school day, I apply this on around 6:30am ish and get to school by almost 7:30am. By 10:20am, my skin looks slightly oily, but not enough where I need to use a blotting sheet. However, I usually don't apply the powder thickly either, so if I had put on the powder thicker, my face probably wouldn't oil up at its usual 10:20am mark. I apply it lightly to light-medium, to give you an idea of how much I put on my face. I honestly wish it had much more staying power than this, but I guess I can't wish too much since my skin is, afterall, really oily on its own. I'm lucky enough to hold it out for almost 4 hours since applying it at 6:30am ish.

PACKAGING

I like the packaging since it's sanitary, but I have to say, I don't like how you have to flip back and forth with getting the powder onto the makeup sponge (which is actually decent and very usable btw) and toggling back to the "sponge compartment" to use the mirror. I find that part inconvenient. But overall, the packaging is sturdy, clean-looking, and good.

Overall, I like this product, but I definitely would like it better if this product would be like $8-9 dollars instead of $13, because if you're buying this product alone, tax would make that $13 go to like $14 or 15, which is a lot for a drugstore. Plus since it has SPF 20, I find that such a HUGE plus! And it's pressed mineral powder, rather than having to deal with the messy loose mineral powder. This is much more convenient.

I'll continue to use this since it's definitely not a bad product. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, return it :). (btw Walgreens has a better return system than CVS IMO. I returned a product and they never questioned why or anything. They called the manager immediately and gave me my return on the spot. No hassle)

I have used this product for almost a month now, and I do not see any pimples forming due to this product. I don't feel any irritation either. I am simply getting pimples just because I'm a teenager with the hormone crazy thing going on which I have separate medication for.

If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to message me and ask :)

Ingredients (info courtesy of drugstore.com):
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Dimethicone, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Alumina, Silk Powder, Water, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Nylon 12, Carmine

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

on 6/25/2014 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I bought this on a whim because I really needed a powder foundation that was affordable and budget friendly, as opposed to my usual MAC studio fix powder foundation.

My usual experiences with neutrogena have always been pleasant, plus this powder foundation is mineral, with it being talc free,fragrance free, paraben free,etc.
I noticed it said sheer on it, however I decided to give it a try anyway.

The packaging is very nice actually. For a drug store product it's very sturdy and you can tell it's not so cheap as other brand packaging. The mirror in the compact is great, and the sponge applicator too! However, I use my MAC sponge applicator with it and I find it works even better.

First, before all the application, I put on my usual day moisturizer, my ELF primer (which is great, wrote a review on it btw) and some pimple cream is needed.
Then I apply the make up.

The coverage is amazing. Even if it says sheer, it's light to medium coverage but you can definitely build it up WITHOUT it being Cakey or heavy. Trust me. I built up the coverage today. And it looks even smoother than MAC studio fix. If you need more coverage, I'd recommend putting concealer on the areas that need it. Like under eye circles, blemishes, etc. Then just pat the powder foundation on!

On certain areas that need more coverage on top of the concealer, just dab the powder foundation on repeatedly. I can say it works because I did all of this today. Haha.

With this product I really don't need foundation. Today, I'm only wearing this powder and I honestly look and feel even better! No more foundation for me.

I put my make up on early in the morning today, and it's still fresh till now! It is now 6:00 pm. It feels so light. Like my skin is actually breathing, compared to how I feel with studio fix on. My color is an NC 30, and with neutrogena powder foundation my color is natural ivory. Which matches perfectly. The price is okay, I can't complain since it offers good performance and is a heck of a lot cheaper than MAC.

I will definitely repurchase this again!

on 5/11/2012 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for a couple of years and am really satisfied. I use a concealer underneath and then apply the Mineral Sheers over that. It's got an SPF20 but no noticeable fragrance, which my highly reactive, rosacea skin appreciates! No itching, burning or breakouts.
Right now I'm using #50 soft beige, which is a nice color but a tad light for my fair/medium complexion, I think. No matter, this product is really natural looking and wears nicely (although basically EVERY product melts off my very oily skin by the end of the day). I'd like to carry it in my purse for touch-ups, but the sponge applicator they included makes the packaging WAY too bulky for that. Too bad.
Speaking of that cheapo sponge, it'll certainly get the powder on your face, but a nice brush works better and looks more natural. Just continue to layer the application until you get the coverage you need. Sometimes I'll use a liquid foundation first, and then just use this as finishing powder for a flawless look. Great product!

I’ve repurchased this three times and in my opinion this is the best drugstore powder foundation currently on the market! So...I’m kinda obsessed with powders - particularly powder foundation. They’re quick, control oil, and can be carried in your purse for touch ups. I’ve worn powder foundation for at least 15 years now and have tried many of them including Mac Studio Fix, Tarte, Lancôme, Bare Minerals, Sephora Microsmooth, Laura Gellar, and It Cosmetics. My favorites that I use consistently on rotation are the Mac Studio Fix, Sephora Microsmooth, and then this Neutrogena powder! The shade “Nude” is yellow toned and perfect for when I’m NC 25. “Natural Beige” is for when I’m NC 30. This is the only drugstore powder I’ve found that has a strong yellow undertone without looking orange or oxidizing. What I particularly love about this powder is that it’s talc-free and mineral based (the first ingredient is mica); it also has some skin soothing ingredients like vitamin e and a to name a few. Most importantly, the two most important things: it doesn’t CAKE and it doesn’t feel drying on my face. This powder, no matter how much you put on, does not settle around nose or cake up on my forehead. It’s also fragrance free. Coverage is around medium I’d say and sometimes I wear a light B.B. cream underneath and then for additional coverage add this powder. I can’t say enough good things about this powder! Only issue is that it is lacking in the shade department. I think there are only 8 shades.

on 1/4/2012 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried a lot of mineral makeup brands from Everyday Minerals to Jane Iredale. I have to say that these are one of the best. They are expensive but that is because of the quality. They do not make my skin itch as other minerals and they stay put the whole day on my oily skin, which is a huge blessing. They look great in the pics despite their spf. I highly recommend these minerals to oily skin gals-

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $7-$10 US Dollars, which is a good price for DS foundations.
COVERAGE: Light-Medium, I find it to be quite buildable.
FINISH: Semi-matte with a slight sheen that most mineral makeups give. I find the finish very natural and quite lovely :)
TEXTURE: Soft, seems finely milled.
SCENT: None
SPF: Yes, 20
LASTING POWER: This lasts all day on me. I have never had a problem with it breaking down, or getting excessively oily. It will fade slightly as the day goes on, but not to the point where it is completely gone.
SHADES: I usually get this in "Nude". They really need more shades in this foundation, the darkest shade is not NEARLY deep enough.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope, has a very gently formula, as it claims.
PACKAGING: I dont like the packaging. I wish they would skip the bulky compact packaging and put more product in instead, because I find that I run out it in less than a month.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes, when I have better skin I dont need to use as much to get the coverage I want.
FINAL VERDICT: This is a really great DS mineral makeup. Try it out!

on 10/26/2008 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This just might be my HG foundation. Applying with a sponge, it looks good. With a kabuki brush, OMG my skin looks flawless.

I have super-splotchy skin and this evens it out without looking cakey or makeup-y.

Packaging is awkward, and the pan is pretty shallow so I have replace it pretty frequently, but the end result is amazing.

This is JUST like the maybelline dream matte mousse powder. exact same package, and the colors look the same. they don't really apply very well, and this doesn't feel like minerals at all. instead it feels like paste-y after a few hours of wear. it lasts about 6 hours at school.

school = bright lights, weather changes [ freezing cold to blazing sunshine ] , changing for PE, eating lunch, oil blotting sessions, etc.

Worked okay, but it fades, and has little lasting power. got it on sale at target a few days ago. never really liked neutrogena because it's so damn expensive for such a little drugstore product. never appreciated that. OH WELL.

on 6/24/2016 12:08:00 PM

I really LOVE this powder. It doesnt give a ton of coverage but it sets my make up wonderfully and really helps stay put. I had been using covergirl simply powder foundation which I also love, but this one seems to look a little more natural and have better colors. I use neutrogena cream foundation in Classic Ivory but bought this in nude to add just a touch of color and it works wonderfully for my NC 15-20 skin. I highly recommend this powder. Doesnt turn orange and doesnt break me out. i have super sensitive skin. I hadnt tried this sheer powder ever before but I love it . If you go a shade darker, you will get some color but not orange. Nude is a neutral color leaning toward warm. Definitely not pink which I dont want. Not cakey at all and I layer quite a bit on.