Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

on 5/11/2012 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for a couple of years and am really satisfied. I use a concealer underneath and then apply the Mineral Sheers over that. It's got an SPF20 but no noticeable fragrance, which my highly reactive, rosacea skin appreciates! No itching, burning or breakouts.
Right now I'm using #50 soft beige, which is a nice color but a tad light for my fair/medium complexion, I think. No matter, this product is really natural looking and wears nicely (although basically EVERY product melts off my very oily skin by the end of the day). I'd like to carry it in my purse for touch-ups, but the sponge applicator they included makes the packaging WAY too bulky for that. Too bad.
Speaking of that cheapo sponge, it'll certainly get the powder on your face, but a nice brush works better and looks more natural. Just continue to layer the application until you get the coverage you need. Sometimes I'll use a liquid foundation first, and then just use this as finishing powder for a flawless look. Great product!

on 7/31/2010 3:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I would really like this except the color is all wrong. I use the exact same color (Classic Ivory) in the healthy skin foundation with no problem but this is so YELLOW! I'm fair and very cool toned. So this looks unnatural on me; you can tell something's on my face and it gives me a rather sickly look.

I marked "would not buy again" for this reason but if they had a pinker version, I would buy it. I like the coverage. I think the people complaining about the coverage were wanted full coverage but what do you expect from something titled "Sheer"??? I'm trying to get away from liquid foundations because I'm become convinced my skin can't handle them but this worked well for me as a finishing powder while I was wearing them.

So, pink-toned PPP's in search of a light/medium coverage, drugstore, mineral powder for sensitive skin, head to Physician's Formula (although their LIQUID stuff seems to be more yellow toned). If you're yellow-toned this will work for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $7-$10 US Dollars, which is a good price for DS foundations.
COVERAGE: Light-Medium, I find it to be quite buildable.
FINISH: Semi-matte with a slight sheen that most mineral makeups give. I find the finish very natural and quite lovely :)
TEXTURE: Soft, seems finely milled.
SCENT: None
SPF: Yes, 20
LASTING POWER: This lasts all day on me. I have never had a problem with it breaking down, or getting excessively oily. It will fade slightly as the day goes on, but not to the point where it is completely gone.
SHADES: I usually get this in "Nude". They really need more shades in this foundation, the darkest shade is not NEARLY deep enough.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope, has a very gently formula, as it claims.
PACKAGING: I dont like the packaging. I wish they would skip the bulky compact packaging and put more product in instead, because I find that I run out it in less than a month.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes, when I have better skin I dont need to use as much to get the coverage I want.
FINAL VERDICT: This is a really great DS mineral makeup. Try it out!

on 3/29/2018 2:42:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

While undergoing treatment for perioral dermatitis (google it), my dermatologist instructed me to switch to powder foundation only, and recommended Neutrogena as a brand. I was very skeptical at first, because my skin is very sensitive and has broken out with use of Neutrogena cosmetics in the past. After reading reviews on powder foundations here, and price comparing, I chose to go ahead and try the Neutrogena.

I purchased mine at Target for approximately $11 USD. The packaging is unimpressive and utilitarian. As pictured, it is a simple snap-closure compact with a flip up compartment below that stores an applicator (that I never use). I took a total stab in the dark with shade and went with Natural Ivory 20, and it matches perfectly. For reference, I wear Maybelline Fit Me in 120 and my MAC shade is NW25-30 depending on season.

Dryness is of course a concern, as I'm middle aged, and my skin is dry to begin with. I use Monistat anti-chafing gel as primer, then use a kabuki brush to apply this powder, and set my makeup with homemade glycerine/H20/witch hazel setting spray. This combination takes away the dryness and "powdery" look, as well as makes the makeup last much longer than typical liquid foundation.

Coverage is not great. It is sheer to medium, and not really buildable. If you need a lot of coverage, this is not something I suggest you use, or find a concealer to use underneath. I am forbidden from using concealer per my derm, but thankfully the treatments are working beautifully, full coverage is not a concern for me. I have always preferred lighter coverage, and like the natural look this provides while still evening out my skin tone and gently covering small flaws.

I have been using it for almost 3 months now, consistently with no breakouts, on skin that is already "angry" and in a fragile state, so that, to me, is testament that it is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I plan on continuing use of this foundation throughout the summer months, when the heat and humidity tend to melt liquid foundation right off your face. This seems like it might be much more durable. Also, it travels much better than liquid foundation and applies much faster, two little things that really make a difference for someone like me who travels a lot and is always short on time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My only regret is that I resisted trying mineral powder makeup for so long! I bought BE's loose powder and Neutrogena's powder foundation, and I LOVE the Neutrogena. I get compliments every time I wear it. And best of all, it covers the redness of my rosacea. I'm sold.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Nice light-to-medium coverage mineral makeup. I was afraid the Classic Ivory shade would be too dark on me but it goes on lighter than it looks in the compact. Gives a nice, natural look. I apply with a brush, not the applicator that comes in the compact.

on 1/11/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This is my daily foundation. It does lack staying power, but for me this is overcome by the stuff not breaking me out. It's more important that the skin under the foundation looks good. In other words the effect really lasts because I'm not embarrassed by what I see when I don't have it on. the other thing is I can really get this on quickly and run out of the house. I do feel the light is too light and the next color is too dark, so I mix a bit. Ideally I'd love to find a tinted moisturizer to use under this which would probably be the perfect combo.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!

on 11/6/2011 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Pros:
-Light-Medium coverage (I used a little concealer, and it looks great!
-VERY natural looking coverage
-It has an EXTREMELY slight, slight shimmer. I like this because it gives my skin a healthy glow :)
-I would say the finish is satin. Matte/dewy.
It has not ONCE broken me out :D
-Color match is almost spot on to my skin tone
-Lasts on my face for a good amount of time (I also use ELF mineral face primer underneath)
Cons:
-I hate the packaging, I wish they would just skip the sponge/mirror and put more product in instead. I rather spend more money on the actual product then fancy packaging
-Adding on to my previous con, it doesn't last me a very long time :( I want my foundation to last me atleast a month. This only lasts me 2-3 weeks.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Summertime is a time when my skin will not agree with a liquid foundation (my usual/previous foundation medium) as I think most are the same.
So I went looking for a good powder foundation and read the reviews on the Mineral Sheers foundations.
Neutrogena has always been pretty good and my skin agrees; haven't had any problems with their products so far.

I was afraid that my skin would turn out flaky with using powders, but oddly that's what was happening with the liquids I was using... they were way prominent and things were overall icky.

Anyway I had gotten Natural Ivory for myself. It was a pretty good match and actually a little darker than I expected... usually a little lighter is best with foundations. But this was ok... so if you think that it will go on extra light and powdery looking just because it is a powder, don't worry about it with these Mineral Sheers powders; the color you see is reliable.

It comes with a sponge under the actual foundation lid. I found that the sponge allowed for more coverage but it felt kind of weird so I opted for my own kabuki brush. I just wanted something light (Accutane, thank you) but that gave my skin a freshness and consistent evenness throughout. This definitely gave me that. I do have some deep pores from previous acne problems on the sides of my face but this masks any redness and such. I also kinda got over thinking about them.
I love looking at myself before and after I apply this because it makes you look 100% better and fresher!

I would recommend this to anyone wanting something light, not likely to cause any bad reactions, and that makes you look more fresh, awake, smooth, and even. If you have issues with flakyness I doubt it would be this product... you need to exfoliate your skin regularly