Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have this powder foundation in Soft Beige 20. It comes in a compact with the powder on top, a mirror that swings up on the underside of the powder, and a sponge applicator in the bottom. The hinges of the container are very thin, and one hinge of the middle powder/mirror section was already broken when I opened the package. I bought this product because I wanted something that would provide medium coverage and remove shine without the heaviness and mess of liquid foundation or loose powder foundation. Unfortunately, this doesn't provide enough coverage, and because it is a powder, it emphasizes my dry spots and flakes and is too matte if applied with the sponge applicator that it comes with. It looks much better when buffed lightly with a powder brush. I use it mainly for touchups throughout the day to combat shine and oiliness. Occasionally, it will look nice and give my skin a glow if I have enough moisturizer on and buff it in correctly, but the results are just too fickle for me. Also, my face tends to get greasier over the course of the day, and this powder just rubs right off. I end up loosing all of the limited amount of coverage that it provides after only a few hours. It just doesn't last if used as a foundation.

Pros: SPF 20, good shade selection
Cons: goes on too matte and dry, better as a powder than foundation, poor lasting power

Bottom line: It may be worth a repurchase for a powder only if I ever finish using it. I like the Revlon ColorStay powder much, much better because it is silkier and gives a nice finish over Revlon ColorStay foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall Rating: 4 (eh, I would give it a 3.7 or 3.8 if I could with the rating system)
Price: 4. at $13 for a drugstore brand, price is a bit expensive to me
Packaging Quality: 3 (Organized and works fine)
Would I buy this again? Yes

*NOTE* I have light Asian skintone that is extremely acne prone and oily. I used the color in Classic Ivory. I also used Milk of Magnesia as my primer to control oil and create a smoother canvas to put the powder on.

THE POWDER

1) I wouldn't call it super silky, but I wouldn't call it chalky either. I would say the smoothness is good enough where I don't consider it bad at all. On a scale 1 to 10 (10 being silky smooth), I'd rate this a 6.5 t 7.

2) As others have mentioned, this seems to be yellow-based powder--yay! But I must say, it isn't completely yellow based. I feel that it has some neutrals with it so neutrals and yellows can get away with this product on their skin without looking too off-colored.

3) I needed to use the MoM with this powder. I tried it on without the MoM, and my skin oiled up quicker. Not only that, but the powder didn't look as smooth. I mean, it still is smooth, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't like AS nice with the MoM on.

COVERAGE

1) Not full coverage, not too sheer (unless you apply it lightly). I felt that when I first apply it on over the MoM, it looks heavy, too matte, and too light for my skin. BUT after waiting for the powder to sorta "sink in", the color seems to match my face pretty nicely. It's still on the lighter side, but my face is naturally lighter than my body color, so technically I'm matching my face's actual color, but not my body color.

2) Doesn't necessarily hide my pores/blackheads on my nose, but it sorta "mutes" them. When taking photos, you usually can't see my pores that much because the powder seems to make it look smooth even though if you stood right in front of me, you could still see some pores. But, I find it okay that this powder stays on the light side since I'm not looking for full coverage ( I have other makeup for that). This is good for a "my skin, but much much better and less oily" daily face. Also, I have lots of acne scars (that aren't extremely dark, but dark enough where you notice I have scars) and this powder "mutes" them out, but doesn't completely cover them, which is okay to me. I'll just use some light concealer.

STAYING POWER

With using MoM, on a regular school day, I apply this on around 6:30am ish and get to school by almost 7:30am. By 10:20am, my skin looks slightly oily, but not enough where I need to use a blotting sheet. However, I usually don't apply the powder thickly either, so if I had put on the powder thicker, my face probably wouldn't oil up at its usual 10:20am mark. I apply it lightly to light-medium, to give you an idea of how much I put on my face. I honestly wish it had much more staying power than this, but I guess I can't wish too much since my skin is, afterall, really oily on its own. I'm lucky enough to hold it out for almost 4 hours since applying it at 6:30am ish.

PACKAGING

I like the packaging since it's sanitary, but I have to say, I don't like how you have to flip back and forth with getting the powder onto the makeup sponge (which is actually decent and very usable btw) and toggling back to the "sponge compartment" to use the mirror. I find that part inconvenient. But overall, the packaging is sturdy, clean-looking, and good.

Overall, I like this product, but I definitely would like it better if this product would be like $8-9 dollars instead of $13, because if you're buying this product alone, tax would make that $13 go to like $14 or 15, which is a lot for a drugstore. Plus since it has SPF 20, I find that such a HUGE plus! And it's pressed mineral powder, rather than having to deal with the messy loose mineral powder. This is much more convenient.

I'll continue to use this since it's definitely not a bad product. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, return it :). (btw Walgreens has a better return system than CVS IMO. I returned a product and they never questioned why or anything. They called the manager immediately and gave me my return on the spot. No hassle)

I have used this product for almost a month now, and I do not see any pimples forming due to this product. I don't feel any irritation either. I am simply getting pimples just because I'm a teenager with the hormone crazy thing going on which I have separate medication for.

If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to message me and ask :)

Ingredients (info courtesy of drugstore.com):
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Dimethicone, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Alumina, Silk Powder, Water, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Nylon 12, Carmine

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm an NC42 in MAC studio fix powder and for Neutrogena Mineral Sheers powder foundation I use the shade Honey Beige. First of all, this foundation has been very good to my skin. I have pretty sensitive skin and I haven't had a bad reaction to it. It's light-medium coverage. I prefer natural coverage where it doesn't look like I have completely flawless skin so this is great for me. I just use this to even out my skin tone. If you are looking for full-coverage, I do not recommend this because you will most likely be disappointed. It is also mess-free since it's in a compact, which is a big plus and great for on the go/traveling. I also don't recommend it to people with dry skin because it can accentuate the dry-ness.

on 4/15/2010 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

coverage: very light
Ideal for oily skin, because it will dry out dry skin (i have combo skin and this made the skin in my nose get flaky)
makes skin matte and has spf20 in it
overall I reallly like it its great for my oily skin since it was flaking me out a little
i put a good amount of moisturizer on to leave my skin feeling a bit oily..and then put the mineral powder on ..my skin feels smooth and shine free but moisturized...hope this helps

i use a kabuki brush to put it on ..i like it better that the sponge that it comes with..

on 10/26/2008 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This just might be my HG foundation. Applying with a sponge, it looks good. With a kabuki brush, OMG my skin looks flawless.

I have super-splotchy skin and this evens it out without looking cakey or makeup-y.

Packaging is awkward, and the pan is pretty shallow so I have replace it pretty frequently, but the end result is amazing.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had reviewed this in another category, then I saw this is the place that everyone is reviewing it, so I am putting my review here, with some edits.

I bought this in Classic Ivory, the lightest shade, and it works for my really fair olive face. It's not too pink, which I have had such a hard time with in other foundations! I have to say, if you put a lot of this on your bare face, it will come out really pale and chalky looking. What I do is put sunscreen on first, then let it sink in, then blot off any excess, then put the foundation on, and then it doesn't look chalky, and it's actually a little darker.
I have oily skin, so if you do also, you will have to touch up during the day, but all I do is just put a little more on, and I don't need to do it that often. Also, since it's not meant to be a full-coverage foundation, I found that a little shine actually doesn't look that bad. The great benefit of this foundation is that it's so easy and quick to put on! I was using Colorstay for full-coverage days, but I find that I'm using this Neutrogena one for just day-to-day stuff. You can build it to a medium coverage, which I do on my cheeks and nose because I have mild rosacea, and it seems to cover that just fine. It looks much more natural than Colorstay.

For the price, I think it's worth giving it a try if you are looking to see what mineral makeup is all about, and/or you want an easy and quick foundation. To me it seems inexpensive because because I'm used to department store products. I paid $11.69 for it at Target, so to me that's a huge bargain!
I'm definitely buying this again!

on 10/10/2014 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

The natural ivory is a perfect match for my skin. I am fair, but not extremely fair like my 2 "kids" are (ages 22 and almost 21). Natural ivory is the second to the lightest shade. It covers very well, especially over the Neutrogena natural ivory long wear liquid foundation. A great combination for blue under-eye circles is Almay Smart Shade concealer in light medium applied over glycerin and/or sunblock (or moisturizer...whichever you use) and then applying Neutrogena mineral powder foundation. If you have really stubborn under-eye circles like I have, you may also want to apply your favorite cream cover stick directly and only on the worst "half-moon" blue portion before setting with this foundation powder. I use the fair e.l.f. concealer pencil for my "half-moons." I have found this mineral foundation to be the best color match, very natural-looking, and not overly expensive.

on 6/28/2011 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a great powder foundation. I have oily skin, and have trouble with large pores on my nose. After washing my face, I start with the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer as my "base", and a few minutes later, I apply this powder foundation. My skin looks great! I also feel like my skin can breathe. My makeup lasts all day (even in the summer) and I only need to blot oil minimally through the day. Neutrogena products are made with SPF, and contain nutrients that are beneficial to the skin. Highly recommend!

on 3/9/2008 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really like Neutrogena because it's the only foundation that I can find that completely matches my skin tone (no pinks!), and has a natural finish.
I used this pressed powder foundation over Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup, and it gave me an absolutely flawless finish. Not too matte, no shininess, no caking. My looked the same at 1am as when I put it on at 4pm.
On its own, it's even and smooth without a powdery finish, but still no shininess.
It looks too heavy when reapplied with the sponge applicator, so now I touch-up with a giant fluffy powder brush, but touch-ups aren't really needed if I use primer underneath.

The price isn't bad: around $10USD, although I suspect if I use it every day I will have to replace it rather frequently.

The packaging is awkward. I like the sponge applicator, and I like that it's held away from the powder, but it's not very easy access. And once I get the sponge, I have to flip back to the powder to put it on the sponge, and then flip back to the sponge-holder to use the mirror.

EDIT - I started applying this without liquid foundation using a kabuki brush. My skin looks absolutely FANTASTIC. I have never ever had any makeup make me look so naturally good. Women at work have asked me, did I get a great facial? I tell them to go buy this (some of them have!). I cannot praise this enough. If it makes my splotchy skin look so completely even and natural, it will work for anyone.

on 9/17/2015 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this power for almost 5 years now and I can honestly say that I have no reason to look for anything else! It sets foundation beautifully, has a natural finish, and super build able coverage! I do wish that it looked a little bit smoother on its own (not over foundation or BB cream) but c'est la vie! It drugstore and from a company that does not overload their products with crap ingredients. The packaging is pretty bland, but I buy it for the results! I have combination/oily skin and this keeps my skin pretty shine free (I say "pretty" because in certain areas I still get shine, but I can't tell if it's the powder's fault or the fact that I can get SUPER shiny in my T-zone, so who knows) I will continue to repurchase this product :)