Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.7

Active Ingredients:Titanium Dioxide (3%) Inactive Ingredients:Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Silica, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Alumina, Silk Powder, Nylon 12, Propylparaben, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Chrysanthemum Parthenium Flower Extract (Feverfew), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pantothenic Acid, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), May Contain ( /-):, Iron Oxides, Carmine (CI 75470)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

I’ve repurchased this three times and in my opinion this is the best drugstore powder foundation currently on the market! So...I’m kinda obsessed with powders - particularly powder foundation. They’re quick, control oil, and can be carried in your purse for touch ups. I’ve worn powder foundation for at least 15 years now and have tried many of them including Mac Studio Fix, Tarte, Lancôme, Bare Minerals, Sephora Microsmooth, Laura Gellar, and It Cosmetics. My favorites that I use consistently on rotation are the Mac Studio Fix, Sephora Microsmooth, and then this Neutrogena powder! The shade “Nude” is yellow toned and perfect for when I’m NC 25. “Natural Beige” is for when I’m NC 30. This is the only drugstore powder I’ve found that has a strong yellow undertone without looking orange or oxidizing. What I particularly love about this powder is that it’s talc-free and mineral based (the first ingredient is mica); it also has some skin soothing ingredients like vitamin e and a to name a few. Most importantly, the two most important things: it doesn’t CAKE and it doesn’t feel drying on my face. This powder, no matter how much you put on, does not settle around nose or cake up on my forehead. It’s also fragrance free. Coverage is around medium I’d say and sometimes I wear a light B.B. cream underneath and then for additional coverage add this powder. I can’t say enough good things about this powder! Only issue is that it is lacking in the shade department. I think there are only 8 shades.

My skin gets oily in 30 minutes after cleansing, and this is the only foundation that works miracles for me! It goes on smoothly on a well-moisturized skin, can be built up to a nice velvety coverage, makes face look even and matte.
My skin is fair, but I tried Soft Beige to find that it actually gives a healthier tone to my face. The best part about this product is that it stays put on my very oily skin for a long time (I perform on stage, and I sweat a lot, and it's there after several hours!), it prevents the shine in the T-Zone, and it has not caused break outs after 2 months of daily usage. I will buy this product again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't generally give products 5s, but this one deserves it. I've been using this powder for four years now, and haven't found anything that compares for my oily, yellow-toned fair complexion. I use Nude 40 (note: when I first started wearing MU I used shades 20 or 30, which were both too pale and pink >.< ) I can wear it on its own for light coverage, or use it to set my tinted moisturizer for medium coverage.
Note: when you first apply it, it will look chalky and makeup-y. After an hour or so it settles into my skin and looks flawless and really natural. This in itself is a small miracle, as I soak through most other powders in an hour.
IT DOES NOT BREAK ME OUT HALLELUJAH! :D lol
It won't cover acne pimples (I use MAC studio finish concealer in NC25 for that), but it does sheer out scars and cover up flat areas of redness and blotchiness so I don't need to use much concealer at all.
I'd really recommend this to anyone looking for a good basic makeup.

on 5/30/2011 3:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE this compact foundation. I've had this product for a while now just never did a review about it. It's very matte and as an acne victim I don't use it by itself and it's just not enough to be by itself. I would buy it again. I just haven't ran out because I don't use it much. My skin is always looking different every day. Sometimes my skin looks best with just a liquid foundation I set and sometimes it looks better with this matte powder foundation on. So it's not a daily product. However when I do use it I absolutely adore the way it goes on so smoothly all over my face balancing my liquid foundation out and overall giving me a flawless look. Keep this in stock Neutrogena!

on 7/31/2009 3:46:00 PM

I have honestly tried almost EVERY mineral foundation out there including, BE, Smashbox, PUR Minerals, and every Drug Store mineral foundation you can imagine. The foundation I had the best luck with was the PUR Minerals but it made my face an oil slick by early afternoon. I had been dealing with it just because it didn't make my skin break out and I loved the natural but full coverage it provided. Well, two weeks ago I bought this Neutrogena Mineral Foundation and I LOVE it. It has the coverage that I liked about PUR Minerals and it does not make my face a shiny mess. My skin looks healthy and pimple free. It also lasts all day which was a surprise to me for a drug store foundation. I will definately keep buying this.

on 3/29/2015 7:16:00 PM

really like this product! doesn't look to dry or mask-like. best yet? it doesn't change color when i get a little oily. i'm using the natural ivory which looks a bit pink in the packaging but is a great neutral when i put it on. it also doesn't crease too badly.

on 9/30/2012 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I love love love LOVE this powder foundation. I'm definitely more of a powder or mineral foundation girl. I will use liquid foundation but most of the time I don't have great experiences with it. I was previously using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua which is really nice, one of the few liquid foundations I actually like but I do have oily/combo skin and I needed something that was a powder but was still gonna give me the right amount of coverage for me. I was in CVS and noticed this Neutrogena Mineral Sheers with SPF 20. The fact that it had SPF 20 definitely made me happy cause I live in Florida where it's super hot and I always need my foundations to have SPF. I was a little nervous about the coverage this would give cause sometimes they will be more like setting powders than powders that will actually give you coverage. This one is definitely a powder foundation. It gives wonderful coverage, it evens out my skintones, hides the majority of my blemishes and even helps with my under eye circles. I still use concealer but this gives the perfection coverage for me personally. I don't like heavy coverage and this looks very natural but still evens everything out. Also it doesn't look ashy on me which is great as well. Sometimes powders will make you look extremely dry but this one is so smooth and creamy. Another plus is that it didn't break me out! My skin is pretty sensitive but this worked well with my skin. The packaging is kind of a chunky compact with a mirror and sponge. It takes up a lot of room in my makeup bag but it's okay cause that's the only downside to this product for me. The price was 13-14 dollars but I'm sure you could get it cheaper at Walmart or Target. I would definitely say if you have dry/normal skin you probably won't like this cause it's pretty matte but if you have oily skin you'll fall in love. I can't live without this powder foundation, it's great! :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My only regret is that I didn't find this sooner!! I LOVE THIS AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THERE ARENT MOREREVIEWS FOR THIS..kinda scares me at the thought that this might get discontinued. I use this after I apply my liquid foundation and set it with my E.L.F flat top brush. It does an excellent job of setting my foundation and evening out my skin tone and never feels cakey or heavy. It also does a great job of minimizing pores on my slightly oily skin, I look polished and matte after application,fresh ,and smooth. This is lightweight that blends effortlessly with sheer to medium buildable coverage.

- I love that it's oil free

- fragrance free

-spf 20

-does not break me out

-This is very gentle and non irritating

-seems to enhance my skin clarity and give me a healthy glow

-I have a hard time finding my shade and I have a perfect match Tan80

I totally recommend this to anyone that wants a quality product to set their foundation or if you just like wearing powder alone. without spending a lot of money or anyone who just prefers to wear powder. This is a inexpensive product to be since to me this is comparable to a 30-40 dollar product so 12.99 is great to me!! This mineral foundation is great and Bare Minerals can kiss it~
UPDATE NO BREAKOUTS AT ALL

A pretty darn good drug store powder foundation. I am an NC20 and the classic ivory 10 is a perfect match for my skin tone. For me this powder provides a medium coverage, matte but not unnatural looking. I find it lasts about 8 hours. I love the sponge that comes with it. It comes with 9.6g of product, which doesn't seem like that much. I usually hit pan after about 7 days of use which seems too quick. But I will keep repurchasing because its the best drugstore foundation I've found.