Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin tone : Olive age: 36-43
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.3

on 2/10/2008 10:18:00 AM

Used for: one month. I'm a pale olive C2, like Alima mmu in Olive-0 probably best of anything I've tried. PROS: Inexpensive, "creamy" powder foundation. Can be evenly applied with a brush or heavier with a sponge. Doesn't seem to oxidize when I'm sweaty or if applied over a creamy sunscreen. Good coverage, similar to Studio Fix on me, although probably not as long lasting. Forgiving for drugstore makeup- my olive undertones mean that many drugstore foundations are too pink/peach/grey on my skin. Decent amount of product, easy to find, Neutrogena is often on sale.
PACKAGING: Sponge is under the product. Not "dryable". No vents, like some powder foundations (NARS). I wish drugstore companies made refillable compacts (NARS, Stila). Kind of a waste of plastic, given how substantial the compact is. Space enough to jam a clean wedge sponge inside (I toss sponges frequently).
CONS: No testers. It drives me batty that you can't try things in drugstores, especially since they aren't exactly "cheap" anymore. I'm trying to buy less as I get older and this often means higher prices so I can be sure that something is right for me. Also, not many shades- someone who is an NC in about my shade might find two colors that only "sort of" work. May be too creamy for oilier skins/younger skins than mine. I can also imagine that this is easy to over apply (Stila is incredibly forgiving for this, imo). I think that powder foundation, especially pressed, should be a mistake proof product you can apply as a passenger in a car or in the parking lot on your way into work (done more times than I care to admit, but NOT while actually driving). A good powder, plus tinted balm, and you're set for the day.
Edit: I still like this product, but I think I may need the lighter shade. I'm looking sort of "peachy" by the end of a work day, and not necessarily in a good way!

on 2/18/2008 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have combination skin that is acne prone and thought that this would be a safe product for my skin. The ingredient list is short and Neutrogena claims that it is non-comedogenic and will not clog pores. I was really excited to try this new product because I found a shade that was a perfect match for me. Unfortunately, I had a horrible experience with this product and it caused severe cystic acne. After only two days of not using this powder, my face has cleared and I am not even wearing makeup today. This makeup was the only thing that I changed in my routine last week, so it definitely was the culprit of my cystic acne. The packaging is horrible, and it is very hard to open. It is also deceiving about how much product is in the package, so you’ll be surprised when you open it. I applied the product with a brush and avoided the sponge that is included in the package.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had reviewed this in another category, then I saw this is the place that everyone is reviewing it, so I am putting my review here, with some edits.

I bought this in Classic Ivory, the lightest shade, and it works for my really fair olive face. It's not too pink, which I have had such a hard time with in other foundations! I have to say, if you put a lot of this on your bare face, it will come out really pale and chalky looking. What I do is put sunscreen on first, then let it sink in, then blot off any excess, then put the foundation on, and then it doesn't look chalky, and it's actually a little darker.
I have oily skin, so if you do also, you will have to touch up during the day, but all I do is just put a little more on, and I don't need to do it that often. Also, since it's not meant to be a full-coverage foundation, I found that a little shine actually doesn't look that bad. The great benefit of this foundation is that it's so easy and quick to put on! I was using Colorstay for full-coverage days, but I find that I'm using this Neutrogena one for just day-to-day stuff. You can build it to a medium coverage, which I do on my cheeks and nose because I have mild rosacea, and it seems to cover that just fine. It looks much more natural than Colorstay.

For the price, I think it's worth giving it a try if you are looking to see what mineral makeup is all about, and/or you want an easy and quick foundation. To me it seems inexpensive because because I'm used to department store products. I paid $11.69 for it at Target, so to me that's a huge bargain!
I'm definitely buying this again!