Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

Active Ingredients:†Titanium Dioxide (3%) Inactive Ingredients:†Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Silica, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Alumina, Silk Powder, Nylon 12, Propylparaben, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Chrysanthemum Parthenium Flower Extract (Feverfew), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pantothenic Acid, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), May Contain ( /-):, Iron Oxides, Carmine (CI 75470)

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The design of this product is genius Ö if only it worked! What Iíve come to like about mineral make-up is the ability to control the amount of coverage you get. The way this product dispenses powder onto its built-in brush is fairly awkward so I donít feel I have that much control. After shaking the powder into the brush, Iíve tried tapping it on the base but that doesnít seem to help all that much. The bristles are on the stiff side so you canít really buff the powder on your face as easily as you can with, say, the Bare Escentuals Kabuki brush. Additionally, the coverage seems to be a bit heavy and chalky. I have a skin tone thatís hard to match and this color makes me look orange. And the finish tends to be way too powdery looking. Iíve been using a big powder brush after each application as thatís the only way I can tone down the mask-like look it gives me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This product blows! You can't even get the powder onto your face! I gave up on this product, the L'Oreal Bare Naturale is WAY better, and even the Physicians Formula Mineral wear is better than this crap. I'm disappointed in Neutrogena for this make. DON'T BUY IT, unless MAYBE they repackage it.

on 7/22/2006 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. When will I learn? Check MUA BEFORE purchasing anything at the drugstore, even tried and true brands! The packaging looks so cute and useful, but in reality it's awful - there's no way to control how much product goes on the brush, and if you've used MMU's before, you know that's a huge key to success.

I was left feeling like it's not quite a powder, not a foundation... all in all, it's not much of anything except an immediate return to CVS.

on 8/4/2006 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Shake, shake, shake -- nothing -- shake some more -- nothing. Shake VIGorously, and a massive pouf of silt comes out of the end of a very cheap, coarse brush, with more of the fine powder disappearing into the atmosphere than landing on your face. Very wasteful. Freakishly orange color, complicated packaging, uneven coverage -- blech! You're better off pillaging some of the fine natural clay that comes off your local desert floor (should you be fortunate enough to live in the southwest), than wasting your hard-earned money on yet another crappy product.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hello all. I'm new to this site, but I plan to consult it before any cosmetic purchase. I'm new to the whole "mineral foundation" scene. I've drooled at the Bare Escentuals informercials on tv many a time. I do NOT drool over the price, however, and decided to give a cheaper version a try. I have combination skin with a bit of uneveness and a few discolorations from healed acne.

I think I'm one of the only people who purchased this who didn't have a problem with the design or brush. Either my face has lost sensation or is reinforced with steel...I really thought the brush was very soft and nice-feeling. As for the product coming out in the center I just shake like there's no tomorrow and buff it all over my face in small circular motions. It takes a bit of exertion, but I can get it on evenly - and my right arm seems to be getting more and more toned :P

As far as the coverage goes...I'm pleased. Before I tried this I was a liquid foundation sort of gal. I LOVE the way a powder feels as opposed to a filmy of a liquid foundation. I do at times have a bit of trouble with this make-up covering those trouble spots. It does even out my face beautifully. Normally I have a hellish time finding a good match for my hispanic (medium tan-tan with yellow undertones) skin. The lightness and sheerness of this powder seems to adjust to my skin.

I'm pleased overall with neutrogena mineral sheers. Maybe I'd be thrilled if I quit being cheap and bought the high-end stuff.

on 1/16/2008 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I read the reviews of the original version of this, where the product was the brush, and I almost didn't buy it because of those bad reviews, but this was 40% off and I had a coupon so what the heck. I'm very happy with this. It gives me the coverage I need, it matches my skintone, and it looks natural. I do not like the way the mirror is under the pan. Makes for very awkward application, but overall this is a definite winner. I think the regular price is $13.99. I think I'll stock up while it's on sale.

on 2/4/2008 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

o.k. First of all, it took me a minute in figuring out this review IS what I look for and it is "Neutrogenaģ Mineral Sheersô Powder Foundation Compact". In short, I fell in love with it in just one day. It is 10000+ times better than the brush version. It gets me great coverage without having to put on a lot of powder; it stays put all day and I basically don't feel it throughout the day. When I go home and look at myself, I still look very good (of course I will be olier than the morning which always happens). Before this one Loreal Natural mineral powder was my favorite and I still like that one. Compared to Loreal one, this one feels lighter on skins. Hope this helps.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this hoping for a more yellow look. I have really really yellow tinted skin. It just didn't do the job for me. I put it on and looked like I had put fake tanner on my face and I had picked the 2nd lightest shade. The price of it was nice and I had gotten it from Ulta so I was able to return it, but I definitely wouldn't buy it again. It was just too orange for me. So I'm still on the search for a nice powder foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall Rating: 4 (eh, I would give it a 3.7 or 3.8 if I could with the rating system)
Price: 4. at $13 for a drugstore brand, price is a bit expensive to me
Packaging Quality: 3 (Organized and works fine)
Would I buy this again? Yes

*NOTE* I have light Asian skintone that is extremely acne prone and oily. I used the color in Classic Ivory. I also used Milk of Magnesia as my primer to control oil and create a smoother canvas to put the powder on.

THE POWDER

1) I wouldn't call it super silky, but I wouldn't call it chalky either. I would say the smoothness is good enough where I don't consider it bad at all. On a scale 1 to 10 (10 being silky smooth), I'd rate this a 6.5 t 7.

2) As others have mentioned, this seems to be yellow-based powder--yay! But I must say, it isn't completely yellow based. I feel that it has some neutrals with it so neutrals and yellows can get away with this product on their skin without looking too off-colored.

3) I needed to use the MoM with this powder. I tried it on without the MoM, and my skin oiled up quicker. Not only that, but the powder didn't look as smooth. I mean, it still is smooth, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't like AS nice with the MoM on.

COVERAGE

1) Not full coverage, not too sheer (unless you apply it lightly). I felt that when I first apply it on over the MoM, it looks heavy, too matte, and too light for my skin. BUT after waiting for the powder to sorta "sink in", the color seems to match my face pretty nicely. It's still on the lighter side, but my face is naturally lighter than my body color, so technically I'm matching my face's actual color, but not my body color.

2) Doesn't necessarily hide my pores/blackheads on my nose, but it sorta "mutes" them. When taking photos, you usually can't see my pores that much because the powder seems to make it look smooth even though if you stood right in front of me, you could still see some pores. But, I find it okay that this powder stays on the light side since I'm not looking for full coverage ( I have other makeup for that). This is good for a "my skin, but much much better and less oily" daily face. Also, I have lots of acne scars (that aren't extremely dark, but dark enough where you notice I have scars) and this powder "mutes" them out, but doesn't completely cover them, which is okay to me. I'll just use some light concealer.

STAYING POWER

With using MoM, on a regular school day, I apply this on around 6:30am ish and get to school by almost 7:30am. By 10:20am, my skin looks slightly oily, but not enough where I need to use a blotting sheet. However, I usually don't apply the powder thickly either, so if I had put on the powder thicker, my face probably wouldn't oil up at its usual 10:20am mark. I apply it lightly to light-medium, to give you an idea of how much I put on my face. I honestly wish it had much more staying power than this, but I guess I can't wish too much since my skin is, afterall, really oily on its own. I'm lucky enough to hold it out for almost 4 hours since applying it at 6:30am ish.

PACKAGING

I like the packaging since it's sanitary, but I have to say, I don't like how you have to flip back and forth with getting the powder onto the makeup sponge (which is actually decent and very usable btw) and toggling back to the "sponge compartment" to use the mirror. I find that part inconvenient. But overall, the packaging is sturdy, clean-looking, and good.

Overall, I like this product, but I definitely would like it better if this product would be like $8-9 dollars instead of $13, because if you're buying this product alone, tax would make that $13 go to like $14 or 15, which is a lot for a drugstore. Plus since it has SPF 20, I find that such a HUGE plus! And it's pressed mineral powder, rather than having to deal with the messy loose mineral powder. This is much more convenient.

I'll continue to use this since it's definitely not a bad product. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, return it :). (btw Walgreens has a better return system than CVS IMO. I returned a product and they never questioned why or anything. They called the manager immediately and gave me my return on the spot. No hassle)

I have used this product for almost a month now, and I do not see any pimples forming due to this product. I don't feel any irritation either. I am simply getting pimples just because I'm a teenager with the hormone crazy thing going on which I have separate medication for.

If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to message me and ask :)

Ingredients (info courtesy of drugstore.com):
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6.6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Dimethicone, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Alumina, Silk Powder, Water, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Nylon 12, Carmine

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had reviewed this in another category, then I saw this is the place that everyone is reviewing it, so I am putting my review here, with some edits.

I bought this in Classic Ivory, the lightest shade, and it works for my really fair olive face. It's not too pink, which I have had such a hard time with in other foundations! I have to say, if you put a lot of this on your bare face, it will come out really pale and chalky looking. What I do is put sunscreen on first, then let it sink in, then blot off any excess, then put the foundation on, and then it doesn't look chalky, and it's actually a little darker.
I have oily skin, so if you do also, you will have to touch up during the day, but all I do is just put a little more on, and I don't need to do it that often. Also, since it's not meant to be a full-coverage foundation, I found that a little shine actually doesn't look that bad. The great benefit of this foundation is that it's so easy and quick to put on! I was using Colorstay for full-coverage days, but I find that I'm using this Neutrogena one for just day-to-day stuff. You can build it to a medium coverage, which I do on my cheeks and nose because I have mild rosacea, and it seems to cover that just fine. It looks much more natural than Colorstay.

For the price, I think it's worth giving it a try if you are looking to see what mineral makeup is all about, and/or you want an easy and quick foundation. To me it seems inexpensive because because I'm used to department store products. I paid $11.69 for it at Target, so to me that's a huge bargain!
I'm definitely buying this again!