Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone age: 30-35
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The best powder on the market. Perfect. HG!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

*Sigh* I'm already afraid. Everytime I find a product that seems too good to be true, it probably is. Enough of my soap opera; let me get down to the review:

I was in CVS today blowing $$ on drugstore cosmetics. I needed a new foundation as my regular was looking too orange/dark on me. I have been reading reviews on Revlon colorstay foundation so I picked up two bottles (B1G1 half off)-- one in toast and the other in the next shade darker-- (I like to mix to create the perfect shade). I also picked up this mineral foundation in tan 80. I prayed as I held it---I have a nasty history w/ mineral makeup--breaks me out like hell within hours...I'm talking itchy, swelling cystic acne within a matter of 2- 3 hrs to a day or two. Bad news.
But since its Neutrogena and the package says "dermatologist- selected minerals" I thought I'd give it a go.

I spread a layer of the Colorstay liquid over my face w/ my MAC foundation brush and used a fluffy brush to set with this powder foundation and WOW--my skin looked flawlessly gorgeous! Not a pore in sight, no acne or acne scars showing....just smooth, even, soft, shine- free yet glowy, PERFECT skin. No need for a concealer. I squealed in delight! I've searched for a long time for products to make my skin look this beautiful; wasted a lot of $$$ on expensive brands, only to find my possible HG in a drugstore :)

Its only been one day---too soon to tell----but I'll update if this stuff breaks me out like all other mineral products I"ve used in the past. Keep your fingers crossed!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Pros: great coverage. Non-irritating. Good colors for olive complexions like mine on the yellower end of the spectrum. Gives a soft-focus effect in indoor lighting.

Cons: looked cake-y and unnatural in bright sunlight. Not enough colors to choose from--I was in between shades. Doesn't wear that naturally; fades in patches and leaves skin oily. Worst of all, as the day wears on, leaves a grayish cast to my skin. It's a very odd effect because even though the tone of the foundation is golden, it looks ashy and smudged from certain angles.

on 10/19/2009 10:12:00 PM

I had high hopes for this product but found that it's just way too sheer to offer any decent coverage. It really should be marketed as a powder & not a powder foundation, although I find it barely even takes the shine off my T-zone. I originally thought I had just not applied an adequate amount, but the more you brush on, the more it makes skin look chalky; it also highlights imperfections especially lines & any patches of dry skin. I prefer Cover Girl TRUblend Pressed Mineral foundation as it offers just the right amount of coverage, blends in much better & appears to be of a finer mill. (Unfortunately, I just saw on the CG site that they're discontinuing this product, FYI.) Anywho, if you're looking for any kind of semi-decent mineral coverage, I'd suggest you not waste your $$ on this product & instead try another brand.

on 10/19/2009 10:04:00 PM

on 6/8/2009 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I acutally like this foundation (yes i am surprised lol). I think this is perfect for summer. It only provides sheer to medium coverage so I do have to conceal a few areas, but no biggie. I apply this with the sigma kabuki brush. it's foolproof and fast. and the best thing is that it doesn't seem to aggravate my acne:) oh, i apply a primer (pure luxe eraser) and then a silica powder before i apply this foundation. i also apply silica powder after applying my foundation.

on 3/31/2008 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I normally use JI purepressed minerals in Sienna, but I decided to try this Neutrogena one out b/c the price is great, it's fairly easy to find and it also has SPF 20 (I think JI has SPF 18.)

Anyway, I really wanted to love this, but this is just so-so. I have very oily skin but found that this Neutrogena powder accentuated the tiniest bits of flakieness on my face, whereas the JI did not. I got the lightest shade, I think Ivory, and when I first put it on, I look pretty pale, but after an hour or so, the oiliness of my face oxidizes it to a near perfect match to my actual skin tone.

I like that the coverage is matte and fairly buildable. I don't love the sponge it comes with though. It's not my HG powder foundation w/ SPF, but it's a good low-end effort. I prefer my JI, but in a pinch, if I don't have time to get to my local makeup boutique to pick up my JI, I will pick this one up again at my local Target.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I just happen to come across this powder at a local Walgreens, in their "new items" section, and of course I had to try it! I've been looking for a compact mineral foundation and was very happy to find one from Neutrogena, which is known for being gentle and non-comedogenic. I am Asian and have some yellow in my skin, so it can be hard to find a good color match. I tried the Nude 40 color, and it's a very good match for my skin tone. I have tried it for about a week now and am pretty happy with it. I have oily skin and am prone to break outs. I haven't noticed any break outs this week and my skin actually feels smoother (maybe my imagination?) I usually use BE in medium beige, and it gives good coverage, but tends to oxidize slightly with my oily skin and will sometimes fade around the corners around my nose. But with the Mineral Sheers, the powder color stayed true and I noticed less shine throughout the day! I use a baby kabuki brush in the a.m. and it gives me a light coverage but hides my dark spots pretty well. I use BPO in the a.m. so i was worried a pressed powder foundation would look too cakey or dry on my face. But this powder doesn't look too matte or heavy. The sponge application is a bit heavy for me, especially for touch ups during the afternoon. I will have to start carrying a small portable brush. But overall, a very good product, especially for the price. I paid $12.99 last week, but Walgreens is having a sale this week for 40% so I will stop by and pick up a couple extra, maybe in a darker tone for the summer as well! I give it 4 out of 5 only because I wasn't happy with the packaging, having to flip the compact up to access the mirror. They should use the MAC packaging which is perfect. But I suppose since it's drugstore brand, they need to display the color with the clear lid.